Dee Gordon 2B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nny View Post
    1) He's facing competition that's more experience and more developed.
    2) There's been less time for him to develop.

Age is HUGE when it comes to looking at statistics.

I assume it's a typo and you mean 26 but it drives home a huge point: Bour was in A+ ball at 23. Yelich will have completed two and a half seasons of MLB ball at that point. That's a huge, huge distinction when comparing walk rates. One was still developing while facing greatly older competition. The other was the old, more developed competition.

10% walk rate for a guy normally old for his league is not impressive, no matter how you try to spin it.
    Bour is still 26 now. He'll be 27 in a couple days (didn't notice how close this was til now). He started AA in 2012 and played there through 2013 meaning ages 23 to 25.

It may be huge but it comes down to repeatedly playing against the same level, he'll never advance in ability. He played 3 years in college at George Mason (CAA conference, I'm not familiar with the talent level). Draft year in rookie/low A, a year in A ball, a year in high A, and two in AA. He'd be pretty league average agewise until that 2nd year of AA. I'm guessing he had an injury early in the season considering he played only 83 games and his first year at AA was pretty good. Otherwise the cubs had someone blocking him at 1st base in AAA.

Development must come in stages if Bour was older when he started stage one, he's going to be older when he reaches the final stage of development. Yelich was moved aggressively shortening the time spent at each stage whereas Bour was not. Yelich is a bad comparison but he was just someone who's known for walking on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
      Considering everything that has gone wrong this season, it's pretty weird that the debate is about why the 4th best player in baseball this year shouldn't be hitting 1st.
      Hilarious, isn't it?

This is Jay at his most Jayest.

Comment

I get why he picked May 10th though. He hits near .420 for the parts of the season where we won a lot of games and then doesn't hit at all in the part of the season where we lose 10 of 12.

Comment

Welcome to baseball...where regression is kind of part of the game.

Comment

Yes yes but I think that's more of an indictment on the quality of this team. If you need your leadoff hitter to have a .450 OBP just to compete, you won't win very often.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
              Been including May 10th (.309 BABIP in that time). Came after 2 rest days (I forget why he had them). I admit it's an easy day to spot in the calender for me and it coincides to the start of his slump very easily. Monthly splits are just as arbitrary cutoffs, yet I've never seen you complain about them.
              If someone tried to pull some "#WellActually Giancarlo Stanton is not good because he has a .710 OPS since May 1" stuff, I think I would say they are being silly.
              poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                If someone tried to pull some "#WellActually Giancarlo Stanton is not good because he has a .710 OPS since May 1" stuff, I think I would say they are being silly.
                Stanton track record as a hitter is a bit longer than the month approved approach dee has.

Comment

point is more that an arbitrary endpoint is still an arbitrary endpoint. Jeez, dude
                  poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                    point is more that an arbitrary endpoint is still an arbitrary endpoint. Jeez, dude
                    You can say that about everything. Language is entirely arbitrary making every word you use to describe something is arbitrary making every thought you have arbitrary. With this type of logic we should all become mute, stop posting, and all go back to living in caves. Guys sites closed because discussion is completely arbitrary.

Comment

jesus
                      poop

Comment

Dee hitting .341 since May 22 #ArbitraryEndPoint

hit a brutal .351/.393/.412 in May

Comment

Longoria him
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                            Longoria him
                            He's already in arbitration, don't you mean Stanton him.

Comment

Comment

It's frustrating to be wasting such a good year.

It's pretty hilarious that two players that were expected to be pretty shit are actually doing well, and everyone else is doing shit. It's crazy how good we could have been if everyone else performed as they should have.

Comment

Working...
                                X