Dee Gordon 2B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
    I mean, he was a 3 WAR player last season and a 4+ WAR player this season.
    True. I guess a 3-win season is fair to estimate.

Comment

• Well here's a surefire way to make sure he's mediocre at best going forward

He's turned himself into one of the best two-way infielders around in his home state, providing beleaguered Marlins fans something to cheer about in a year of injury and disappointment. He's on his way to leading the NL in hits (190) and has a shot at the stolen-base title (he is 53 to 57 for idle Billy Hamilton) and perhaps the batting-average title (.332 to .339 for Harper), and one competing coach opines there's no match defensively at second base, either. As his longtime agent Rick Thurman pointed out, just imagine if he started seriously playing baseball sooner than his senior year in high school. This winter the Marlins will try to lock him up. As a plus, he's a fine young man. The Miami Herald wrote about how he aims to honor his deceased mother, who was murdered when he was a young boy.
      http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...m-all-over-mlb
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• 6 years/$60 million??

Comment

• I really wish someone would do a study on player performance before and after a huge contract. I would love to read something on how well players perform on walk-years and then players who get a huge extension and players who sign a huge deal after free agency.
          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• I know that there's been extensive research into walk years and that the consensus is that performance isn't any better or worse on average

Comment

• Just go through arbitration with Dee, really no need to extend him IMO.

Comment

• One of the main reasons to extend a player is they have the potential to be even better so it saves you a ton of $ if they do.

It doesn't get any better than this season for Dee.

But the Marlin's motto is buy high, sell low

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                  I know that there's been extensive research into walk years and that the consensus is that performance isn't any better or worse on average
                  I think there is a disconnect between the research and what research question the casual observer is asking. I think casual observers believe that players that get large contracts following their walk year had a career year in that walk year and are excluding those who did not get large contracts.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                    One of the main reasons to extend a player is they have the potential to be even better so it saves you a ton of $ if they do.

It doesn't get any better than this season for Dee.

But the Marlin's motto is buy high, sell low
                    eh

There's a lot to be critical about, but not this. They sold low with Cishek, but they didn't buy really buy high.

They also sold high on McGehee, Uggla, etc
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      eh

There's a lot to be critical about, but not this. They sold low with Cishek, but they didn't buy really buy high.

They also sold high on McGehee, Uggla, etc
                      Was mostly hyperbole but

They wanted to extend Uggla. They only traded him because he wanted a 5th year (thank God he wanted that 5th year). McGehee is literally only time I can think they really sold high on someone. I'm sure there's others. I guess you could count something like Mike Jacobs but it's hard to considering somebody coming off a -2.0 WAR as "selling high" rather than KC just being morons.

The Dee Gordon trade itself is an example of buying high and selling low. The buy high did work out though, since Dee managed to become a GG caliber 2b.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                        Was mostly hyperbole but

They wanted to extend Uggla. They only traded him because he wanted a 5th year (thank God he wanted that 5th year). McGehee is literally only time I can think they really sold high on someone. I'm sure there's others. I guess you could count something like Mike Jacobs but it's hard to considering somebody coming off a -2.0 WAR as "selling high" rather than KC just being morons.

The Dee Gordon trade itself is an example of buying high and selling low. The buy high did work out though, since Dee managed to become a GG caliber 2b.
                        The team sold low on Heaney and Eovaldi this past off-season.

Comment

• They sold appropriately on Eovaldi. He is what he is. His ERA is in line with his career average, his walks/9 are up a full walk over last year, his WHIP is well over his career average, his FIP is up over last year, his already astronomical H/9 is up over last year but more or less in line with career averages.

This is the pitcher he is.

Comment

• we sold high on miggy and dontrelle

Comment

• in retrospect, we did sell high on dontrelle

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                They sold appropriately on Eovaldi. He is what he is. His ERA is in line with his career average, his walks/9 are up a full walk over last year, his WHIP is well over his career average, his FIP is up over last year, his already astronomical H/9 is up over last year but more or less in line with career averages.

This is the pitcher he is.
                                He maintained a similar ERA and FIP pitching in a more difficult league and ballpark. I maintain they sold low on him. His K/9 and K% are also up from last year. After that disastrous Marlins start, he pitched really well. 3.43 ERA and a 2.87 FIP in 84 innings, granted he got very lucky with a 3.2 HR/FB rate. His xFIP was still 3.65 and his SIERA 3.85

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                in retrospect, we did sell high on dontrelle
                                Selling on a guy with a 5.17 ERA and a 5.13 FIP is hardly selling high, but with Dontrelle, it was the case.

That trade was still a damn good one at the time. Sucks Maybin and Miller didn't pan out.
                                Last edited by marlinsfan24; 10-01-2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X