Jarrod Saltalamacchia Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    BINGO-the clubhouse issue was the reason he was let go instead of kept on the roster. People were saying he was badmouthing Red-saying he shouldn't have lost his job and bringing the whole clubhouse down. THis was even more apparent this weekend when he was no where near the team. People were saying it was a total different team!!
    So nice to have an insider who keep us abreast of the feeling within the clubhouse. I'm sure the clubhouse being upbeat had everything to do with the terrible Salty being gone and not the fact that they were actually winning games.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      Yep if he clears waivers we owe him whatever he has on the contract

- - - - - - - - - -

Opening Day? I recall at least 4 games this year he has been up with Bases Loaded 1 Out and he struckout all 4 times. Least Realmuto has shown he can put the ball in play
      He's had 2 ABs this season with bases loaded 1 out
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
        But we are basically getting a free year of Haren, Gordon, and Prado this year, so it's pretty much a wash, no?
        Not Prado (We're still paying the bulk).

Problem is, we started the year near the limit the FO said was the limit at the start of the off-season. Now we just added 8 more million. Unless there's a "Loria approved" situation, I doubt we have money to add a contract this season.

Comment

I was under the impression that upon release we'd owe him the terms of his contract (ie, remaining money this year, $8m next year). I don't think we owe it all in one lump sum.
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Explaining my thought process, with regards to Saltalamacchia, and then I think I'm just gonna quit with this topic:

He has a career .775 OPS vs. RHP, over 1,926 plate appearances. He was bad last season, and horrible to start this season, so it's possible he has just lost the ability to hit at all. He wouldn't be the first player to lose it like that, especially for a strikeout prone hitter.

However, we're also still dealing with relatively small sample sizes here, especially this season (.063 BABIP!). Based on the balance of his career, I am hesitant to say he's just lost it entirely, while remaining open to the possibility that he has. I need more than a few months worth of data to write off the previous seven years entirely, however.

It strikes me as an overreaction. It strikes me as a decision based entirely on results, rather than process. It might not make a difference on the bottom line this season, but I would feel a lot better about having Salty as a safety net if Realmuto crashes and burns -- a far likelier proposition than I think any of us are really considering -- than Jhonaton Solano or Jeff Mathis.
            poop

Comment

i'd rather have a catcher who sucks at hitting and is decent at fielding than a catcher who sometimes maybe won't suck at hitting but always will be terrible at fielding.

that said, i'm shocked that the club would eat the money and i'd expect them to trade him to anyone willing to eat some of the salary for practically nothing in return.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                I was under the impression that upon release we'd owe him the terms of his contract (ie, remaining money this year, $8m next year). I don't think we owe it all in one lump sum.
                Part of my impression stems from the fact that I think whoever signed him only had to pay the minimum this year, but he has to get a full contract the next. Or is that wrong?

Comment

honestly, notwithstanding the money, there is 0 reason to keep him on this team. Been saying for awhile that he's the worst defensive catcher I've ever seen. He can't stop wild pitches, doesn't frame well, and can't throw for shit. On top of the fact that he can't hit or even make contact with the ball or run, he literally sucks at everything a baseball player can do. He seems like a decent guy, but if the suggestions here that he's being a douche are true, he's basically asking to get released. It's not worth having a cancer like that on the team even at the money he's making. I'd rather use our bullpen catchers as a back up than see him on the field again.

Best of luck to him though.
                  STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

[tweet]592785579739316224[/tweet]

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                      [tweet]592785579739316224[/tweet]

Redmond happy he finally gets to talk shit
                      Realmuto rates out as a worse pitch-framer than Salty this season.

poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                        Explaining my thought process, with regards to Saltalamacchia, and then I think I'm just gonna quit with this topic:

He has a career .775 OPS vs. RHP, over 1,926 plate appearances. He was bad last season, and horrible to start this season, so it's possible he has just lost the ability to hit at all. He wouldn't be the first player to lose it like that, especially for a strikeout prone hitter.

However, we're also still dealing with relatively small sample sizes here, especially this season (.063 BABIP!). Based on the balance of his career, I am hesitant to say he's just lost it entirely, while remaining open to the possibility that he has. I need more than a few months worth of data to write off the previous seven years entirely, however.

It strikes me as an overreaction. It strikes me as a decision based entirely on results, rather than process. It might not make a difference on the bottom line this season, but I would feel a lot better about having Salty as a safety net if Realmuto crashes and burns -- a far likelier proposition than I think any of us are really considering -- than Jhonaton Solano or Jeff Mathis.
                        Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                        honestly, notwithstanding the money, there is 0 reason to keep him on this team. Been saying for awhile that he's the worst defensive catcher I've ever seen. He can't stop wild pitches, doesn't frame well, and can't throw for shit. On top of the fact that he can't hit or even make contact with the ball or run, he literally sucks at everything a baseball player can do. He seems like a decent guy, but if the suggestions here that he's being a douche are true, he's basically asking to get released. It's not worth having a cancer like that on the team even at the money he's making. I'd rather use our bullpen catchers as a back up than see him on the field again.

Best of luck to him though.
                        I agree he's probably a better hitter than what we've seen this year, and it is a small sample size, coupled with the extremely low BABIP (which I didn't realize). I also agree that he'd be better to have as a backup right now than Solano until Mathis is back....However if he's as much of a distraction off the field as it's seeming - coupled with his terrible hitting, defense and running, it doesn't surprise me that they'd cut ties with him. There's probably more going on than we know.

Comment

DFAing him makes absolutely no sense. They currently have a bench of Solano, Solano, Brignac, Bour and Baker. If he's a clubhouse cancer you actively try to trade him for anything eating part of his contract. He's a much better hitter than we've seen this year. This team is run by idiots.

Comment

Can somebody post Saltalamacchia's offensive #'s after April last year? It wasn't just his defense.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by jay576 View Post
                            DFAing him makes absolutely no sense. They currently have a bench of Solano, Solano, Brignac, Bour and Baker. If he's a clubhouse cancer you actively try to trade him for anything eating part of his contract. He's a much better hitter than we've seen this year. This team is run by idiots.
                            Seems like they'll end up trading him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                              Realmuto rates out as a worse pitch-framer than Salty this season.

He might call games better though.

Comment

plus moxie and intangibles and mojo

Comment

Working...
                                X