No announcement yet.

4/23 - 4/29 Minor League Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My biggest hangup with Romero is the lack of power. I think Anderson has the higher ceiling because he has more pop in his bat. Romero is a .100iso guy in the low minors.

Don't get me wrong, he's still on a good track to make the majors and be a player, I just think his ceiling is limited unless the pop comes later, which it could.

Basically, right now, I feel like they're kinda the same player. Both 2b/3b types with good bats, but Anderson has more power so he's more valuable.

Comment

I'm aware of the power issues. Romero is really a one tool guy since his defense is so so based on reports, he can't steal bases, he doesn't walk that much, and he's already got an injury history. But just about every stop of the road I've seen him he just hits and hits. As I said Anderson is much more major league ready now. He's a better player in every aspect outside of pure hitting than Romero. Romero pretty much goes against everything I argue for when he can't OPS .800 because of his non-existent power, but if he's going to hit .300 at every stop of the way there's a place for him in the league. But I definitely understand the argument against him. He's one of my mildly irrational love guys who excels at a single tool (similar to how I loved Hamilton because of his speed tool even if he couldn't do anything else).

Most people haven't had a chance to talk about it but I really like a good deal of the later round players taken in this past draft. Didn't like Blake Anderson/Twine/Schales at the time based on reports but Brian Anderson was a really good pick, Michael Mader was a solid college arm, same with Sadberry, Ben Holmes has best pick in the our draft potential (even if he hasn't shown that yet), and Mason Davis seems like we found a diamond in the rough in the 19th round (this past game aside).

Back to the original topic though, Anderson started off the season somewhat slow but if he keeps up his current pace he could see AA by July and maybe even start next season in AAA. Anderson's a good option to have two years down the line when Prado's contract runs up and we need a 3rd baseman (assuming all goes well with his development).
      Last edited by dim; 04-27-2015, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Definitely like Mason Davis.

Still really like Twine. You can't teach athletic. He strikes me as a guy who could struggle for 3 years and suddenly break out in AA (h/t to Mainge who I think said that to me a couple days ago).

Our system has a lot of real interesting talent in it. We're just missing the 2-3 higher end guys that would move us way up the rankings.

Comment

I agree with dim, I do believe Romero has the higher ceiling than Anderson, but Anderson is more of the sure player. Romero has a better walk rate this season, but we'll have to see if he can sustain that the rest of the season. If he can become a 12 homer/.320 OBP guy and play adequate defense at second, that's a pretty decent second baseman to have.

Most of his game depends on the power.

I'm interested to see how quickly the team moves Anderson up to AA next.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
          Definitely like Mason Davis.

Still really like Twine. You can't teach athletic. He strikes me as a guy who could struggle for 3 years and suddenly break out in AA (h/t to Mainge who I think said that to me a couple days ago).

Our system has a lot of real interesting talent in it. We're just missing the 2-3 higher end guys that would move us way up the rankings.
          I like Twine as well, but he could also be the next Isaac Galloway. Hopefully that's not the case, but the unknown with him is so great.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
            I'm aware of the power issues. Romero is really a one tool guy since his defense is so so based on reports, he can't steal bases, he doesn't walk that much, and he's already got an injury history. But just about every stop of the road I've seen him he just hits and hits. As I said Anderson is much more major league ready now. He's a better player in every aspect outside of pure hitting than Romero. Romero pretty much goes against everything I argue for when he can't OPS .800 because of his non-existent power, but if he's going to hit .300 at every stop of the way there's a place for him in the league. But I definitely understand the argument against him. He's one of my mildly irrational love guys who excels at a single tool (similar to how I loved Hamilton because of his speed tool even if he couldn't do anything else).

Most people haven't had a chance to talk about it but I really like a good deal of the later round players taken in this past draft. Didn't like Blake Anderson/Twine/Schales at the time based on reports but Brian Anderson was a really good pick, Michael Mader was a solid college arm, same with Sadberry, Ben Holmes has best pick in the our draft potential (even if he hasn't shown that yet), and Mason Davis seems like we found a diamond in the rough in the 19th round (this past game aside).

Back to the original topic though, Anderson started off the season somewhat slow but if he keeps up his current pace he could see AA by July and maybe even start next season in AAA. Anderson's a good option to have two years down the line when Prado's contract runs up and we need a 3rd baseman (assuming all goes well with his development).
            Exactly what they were thinking when they got Prado-either Anderson or Romero up when his contract is up. The best "hitter" is Romero but the best overall player is Anderson. Anderson has power,can hit and plays solid defense.

The Blake Anderson/Twine/Schales picks were more or less guys with alot of upside but need reps. Anderson can't hit but has some pop and not only has a Catcher body he also can catch and call a game. In other words a backup catcher for Realmuto in 4/5 years

Comment

4/27

AAA New Orleans: Game Suspended

AA Jacksonville: L, 3-2

K.Wilson: 1-4, R, K
              Rosa: 1-4, R, HR (1), 2 RBI, K
              Cox: 1-3, 2B, K
              Dayleg: 1-3
              T.Williams: L, 6 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
              Logan: 3 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 2 K

A+ Jupiter: L, 7-1

Riddle: 0-3, BB, K
              Dean: 1-4, 2B, RBI
              F.Munoz: 1-4
              Riggins: 0-2, BB, K
              Cordova: 0-2, R, BB, SB
              Townsley: L, 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
              Del Pozo: 3.1 IP, 3 K
              Bremer: 3 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HRA

A Greensboro: Idle

Comment

4/28

AAA New Orleans: L, 2-1

Gillespie: 1-3, BB, SB, CS
                Dietrich: 0-4, K
                Valdespin: 2-4
                Rojas: 1-3, R, HR (2), RBI
                Sizemore: 1-3, 2B, BB, SB
                Misch: L, 4.1 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
                Dayton: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 K
                Wittgren: 1 IP, 1 H, 2 K
                Capps: 1 IP, 1 K

AA Jacksonville: W, 6-5

Cox: 1-3, R, BB, K
                Juengel: 2-4, 3 R, HR (4), 2 RBI, SB
                Rieger: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, K
                D.Adams: 2-3, RBI, BB, CS
                Nola: 1-2, 2B, RBI, K
                C.Smith: 6.2 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HRA
                Stem: W, 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 K
                Donatello: SV, 1 IP, 1 H

A+ Jupiter: W, 4-1

Riddle: 2-4, 2B, CS
                Dean: 1-4, 2B
                Anderson: 1-3, R, BB
                F.Munoz: 1-3, 2B, RBI, BB
                Flynn: 1-3, 2 R, 2B, K
                Lyman: W, 7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 8 K
                J.Martinez: SV, 1 IP, 1 K

A Greensboro: W, 3-1

A.Rodriguez: 1-2, R, 2 BB
                A.Smith: 1-4, R, HR (6), 2 RBI
                Woods: 2-3, R, 2B, BB
                Schales: 2-3, 2B, RBI, BB, K
                Kolek: W, 5 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K
                Alvis: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HRA
                Hodges: SV, 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K

Comment

.339/.377/.518 for Rojas

Comment

I'm liking these no run games by Kolek. It's early in his career so no need to whine about 7 baserunners over 5 innings. Also really cool to see KJ Woods getting Greensboro at bats. I remember seeing some BP swings and the youtube footage on this guy and his swing was really smooth and he had a real presence at the plate even at 17 years old. Drafted in 2013 and only 19 years old now. He's a guy I'm definitely going to follow throughout the season. I remember him being a guy that struggled with plate discipline so there should be a lot of K's early on, but there's some real nice raw potential.

Rojas continues to rake. OPS nearly at .900. Keep it up and he'll get a bench spot before June. Good to see solid relief outings from Capps and Wittgren.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                      .339/.377/.518 for Rojas
                      c8fce312f321a767d12a4f0c2a01ef01433b312c22910cca0bcdd5ad9549aa01.jpg

Comment

Ya Woods just got off the DL but he is someone that if he learns to hit instead of just trying to destroy the ball could become a 1B Prospect for us in a few years-plays the OF now tho.

As for Kolek,he has been pitching much better than his first start however still is wild as hell.

Comment

4/29

AAA New Orleans: Idle

AA Jacksonville: L, 2-1

K.Wilson: 1-3, 2B, K
                          Cox: 1-4, K
                          Rieger: 1-4, R, 2B
                          Othman: 2-4, RBI, 2 K
                          Bohn: 1-4, 2 K
                          Flores: L, 7.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K, 1 HRA
                          Reed: 1.2 IP, 2 H

A+ Jupiter: Idle

A Greensboro: L, 7-5

Blanton: 1-4, R, BB, 2 K
                          Norwood: 1-4, SB
                          A.Rodriguez: 3-3, 2 R, 2B, 2 HR (3), 3 RBI
                          Twine: 2-4, 2 R, 2B, 3B
                          Schales: 0-4, RBI, 2 K
                          Vigil: 3-4, 2B, RBI
                          Squier: L, 3 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 2 HRA
                          J.Arias: 2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
                          L.Castillo: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K

Comment

Arturo Rodrguez probably needs to be moved up, pretty soon.

Comment

Hell of a line from Flores there.

Comment

Working...
                              X