Justin Bour, 1B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Bour, 1B

It's only right that I start his thread.

MLBPipeline.com #16 prospect
    Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 20 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

The Marlin selected Bour from the Cubs in the Triple-A portion of the 2013 Rule 5 Draft, and he had the best season of his career in his first year with his new organization. He made his Major League debut, in addition to setting career highs in batting average, slugging percentage and OPS.

Big and strong, Bour produces significant power. He's slowly improved his approach throughout his Minor League career, cutting down the amount of swing-and-miss in his game. He remains more effective against right-handers, which could ultimately limit him to a platoon player. He's also made strides on defense and, despite his size, he's a solid fielder.

Coming off his impressive year at Triple-A, Bour entered the 2015 season in a position to soon help the Marlins in the big leagues.
    John Sickels #15 prospect
    15) Justin Bour, 1B, Grade C/Borderline C+: Age 26, Rule 5 pick from the Cubs system where he usually hit well but was overshadowed by other prospects. Hit .306/.372/.517 last year for Triple-A New Orleans, .284/.361/.365 in 74 at-bats for the Marlins. Huge guy at 6-5, 270, but has legitimate left-handed power and has closed up eye and feel for the strike zone. Should be a workable role player.

Off to a shaky start so far in New Orleans .261/.404/.326. Only 1 XBH (a HR) in 46ab. That OBP doe.

- - - - - - - - - -

I really started this so I could post this picture of how Iowa played him defensively last night:

[tweet]590662802953662464[/tweet]

The fact he's on the top 20 prospect list proves how weak our farm system is right now.

Comment

He's getting the start today over Morse.

Comment

So is it safe to say this dude is pretty good? Looks like he is going to be a pretty fine hitter, and he has improved quite a bit defensively this year. Small sample size, I know, but so far, he has a 2.6 UZR and 16.2 UZR/150.

He's already at a 0.6 WAR, which is better than what he had all of last season (0.3).

Comment

37hr in 668pa since the start of the 2015 season.

Comment

One of the big things too is that he went from being a terrible base runner and defender to being average to above average in those fields. He went from a replacement level player last year to 11th best 1B WAR in MLB, 25th last year

Comment

and yet Mattingly continues to replace him with Chris Johnson.

If Mattingly really feels the need to replace Bour for defensive reason. (which he shouldn't) At least use Rojas and not Johnson. I refuse to believe Johnson provides any sort of defensive upgrade at 1st, I just haven't seen it.

Comment

Remember the game we lost to Philly because Johnson dropped an inning-ending double play ball? That's our defensive upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by thatnewguy View Post
                  The fact he's on the top 20 prospect list proves how weak our farm system is right now.
                  #OldTakesExposed

Comment

Yet another reason not to miss Bour

https://deadspin.com/angels-justin-b...lay-1834187688

Comment

Working...
                    X