• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I was hacked."

This is the official line.
    poop

Comment

Everyone on twitter called that happening. In the old days celebrities used to say they had a drinking problem and would enter rehab. Now they all just get hacked. As if someone would actually hack Jarred Cosart's account.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        Everyone on twitter called that happening. In the old days celebrities used to say they had a drinking problem and would enter rehab. Now they all just get hacked. As if someone would actually hack Jarred Cosart's account.

Comment

Of course, there's also no way to be sure this is his account either since it isn't verified.

Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Slow news day

Comment

IF (big if) that is his new account, seems pretty confident more screenshots will come out. Also doesn't say anything about gambling, just about gambling on baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                Slow news day
                this would be pretty big news
                poop

Comment

Manny Navarro ‏@Manny_Navarro 2m2 minutes ago North Miami Beach, FL
                  #Marlins spokesman Matt Roebuck wasn't able to tell me if new twitter account of Jarred Cosart, now deleted, was real. He didn't know.
                  lol
                  --------------------
                  Manny Navarro ‏@Manny_Navarro 6m6 minutes ago North Miami Beach, FL
                  "Major League baseball is aware and they are investigating it and we have no further comment at this time," #Marlins spokesman Matt Roebuck.
                  ugh
                  Last edited by emkayseven; 03-25-2015, 10:23 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                    this would be pretty big news

A Marlins pitcher discussing (no proof of actually placing) a college basketball wager?

Ok. You know more about sports news than I do so I'll take your word for it.

Comment

A Marlins pitcher being investigated by MLB for gambling is potentially big news. right now, it's kind of nothing, you're right.

but in this sport -- with Pete Rose back in the news, no less -- it would be a very big story if there's something here. It's worth looking into at the very least.
                      poop

Comment

If that was Jarred Cosart on Twitter, stupid move. Please just stay quiet and let the situation play out. Claiming you were hacked is not going to help you at this point.
                        --------------------
                        MLB's going to be thorough here, if its investigators' aggressive actions when probing 2012 game-fixing allegations against Pirates pitcher Jeff Locke are a guide. (As revealed in a bizarre and fascinating story by CIR, Locke had been framed by a small-time handicapper who wanted revenge after the pitcher had blown off the man's brother, a childhood acquaintance.)
                        http://deadspin.com/mlb-investigatin...ium=socialflow
                        Last edited by marlinsfan24; 03-25-2015, 11:16 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I think I read somewhere that the rumor is Cosart didn't bet on any baseball games, but that he was a big spender when it came to college basketball.

I'm with everyone else in that it's currently a non story that will be blown up because "gambling" is always going to be a hot topic, but I don't think this will end up in anything more than some public and private apologies to Major League Baseball and some classes in proper social media use.

Obviously if we lose Cosart it changes a large dynamic of the upcoming season, so this could possibly suck if there is any real validity to some of these outlandish claims.

Comment

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 8m8 minutes ago
                            #Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart is represented by Erik Burkhardt of Select Sports Group -- Johnny Manziel's agent.
                            poor Erik Burkhardt
                            --------------------
                            and now it starts to get interesting...

The allegations tying Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart's to sports gambling all began last night with a Twitter post by @GhostFadeKillah, a guy in New Jersey with 1,110 followers. A screencap he posted appears to show Cosart asking someone for advice about bets. But where did that screencap come from?

New Times spoke this afternoon with the man behind @GhostFadeKillah, who says Cosart's gambling conversation actually took place back in December — casting doubt on claims that Cosart's account had recently been hacked. He also says he's seen no indication that Cosart ever bet on baseball and doesn't believe the tweets should lead to any punishment for the pitcher.

New Times agreed not to name the Twitter user because the 25-year-old is involved in gambling and worried about possible legal consequences. (He sent DMs from the @GhostFadeKillah account to confirm his identity.)

He says the screencap below came from a "tout" — or sports gambling expert who offers betting advice — who had been sharing it to promote his own bona fides. @GhostFadeKillah shared the tweet less to burn Cosart than to warn gamblers off of the expert who'd been spreading it around, he says.

He provided New Times with time-stamped photo data that appears to show the exchange was screencapped on December 16, 2014. That would cast doubt on any claims that Cosart had recently been hacked — an excuse posted by a Twitter user purporting to be Cosart's new official account, which was then quickly deleted. (There's still no word on whether that account was ever actually Cosart in the first place.)

A second exchange that seems to show Cosart asking about advice for betting on college basketball came from another friend and is dated about two weeks ago, he says. (He also declined to ID his sources for either message to protect them from legal consequences.)

Most importantly, the user behind @GhostFadeKillah says he never saw any evidence that Cosart was gambling on baseball. While MLB's rules strictly prohibit gambling on the National Pastime, they don't forbid players from casting bets on other sports.

"It wasn't that big a deal, because I don't think he was ever betting on baseball," he says, adding of the second set of messages that "it was always about college basketball, and he never said anything about baseball. (My friend) did say that he wasn't that good at betting."

MLB confirmed to New Times this morning that the league is looking into the allegations; the Marlins declined to comment on the case other than confirming that they know about the investigation. Cosart has yet to respond directly to reporters, and his agent hasn't returned a call from New Times.

@GhostFadeKillah says he doesn't regret posting the messages. "The only outcomes are that he tells the truth, that he wasn't betting on baseball, and it's all good," he says. "If it does come out in the end that he was betting on baseball, then I don't feel bad about it."
                            http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/ja...r-says-7551886
                            Last edited by emkayseven; 03-25-2015, 01:45 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

@GhostFadeKillah shared the tweet less to burn Cosart than to warn gamblers off of the expert who'd been spreading it around, he says.
                              Then couldn't he have just said so instead of posting a screencap of the conversation? Or at least blot out Cosart's name on the screencap? Seems to me the dude is full of shit and was just doing this to get attention. I find it very hard to believe he did this to "warn" other gamblers.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree with you. This whole thing is weird

Comment

Working...
                                X