MLB Investigating Twitter Gambling Allegations Against Jarred Cosart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Investigating Twitter Gambling Allegations Against Jarred Cosart

Oh boy. Personally I think this is probably being blown out of proportion and people are reading too much into it, but it could end up being a pretty huge deal. I think a lot is being made of his poor performances when he just has command issues. I mean, there's no betting on spring training games, right? So no explanation as to why he's pitched like shit this spring.

Formatting at the link is better as there are embedded pictures and tweets. I did my best copying it here.

Jarred Cosart, 24-year-old pitcher for the Miami Marlins, may have unintentionally revealed that he bets on sports late Tuesday night.

There is an enormous network of handicappers, pickers and gamblers that use Twitter as a means of communication. Handicappers, and wannabe handicappers, as well as serious pickers and numerous scam artists, tweet out “free picks” to build their Twitter followings. The end game in giving out these “free picks” is to show their followers that they pick winners, oftentimes by providing falsified betting records, and eventually charge those followers money for “premium” picks, building a client base and making serious cash.

Below is a screenshot of an alleged direct message conversation between Cosart and one such Twitter picker that is being passed around like a particularly terrible strain of herpes.

The picker has obviously edited the screenshot to hide his part in the conversation. Why, exactly, is still unclear. However, the implication here, that Cosart messaged this picker to let him know that he put “LARGE” money on one of his free picks, is the opposite of good for Cosart’s career.

Major League Baseball does not like gamblers. Google “Pete Rose gambling” if you need a quick history on how the league handles such things.

Since the above screenshot began circulating, Cosart’s Twitter account went private, and, soon after, was completely deactivated, which certainly makes it seem like this is the real deal, and not just some massive hoax.

As a result of all this, the underground gambling world of Twitter is going bonkers. Some are even drawing the conclusion that Cosart was betting on his own games, and intentionally shaving points.

@TheHandicaper
    Follow
    Now there's no way you can convince me he wasn't shaving runs on that 7ER/4 BB/0.1IP start
    24 balls in 39 pitches throwed, 4 walks, a wild pitch and gave up two HR's. Tell me you're not at least intrigued.
    Even better: the line for that game moved 40 cents on a -205 favorite early in the season. Not shady. AT. ALL.
    The tweet below is from August 1, 2014, stating that Cosart had given up a 1st inning run in 20 of his last 24 starts. That tweet is now being thrown around as evidence that Cosart was intentionally giving up runs.

Now, keep in mind that this could still be a massive misunderstanding.

Cosart could’ve been messing around with the picker. He might not have direct messaged the picker at all. That screenshot could be doctored. His account could’ve been “hacked,” or whatever. I’m sure Major League Baseball will investigate, and we’ll find out what happened, one way or another, but this certainly doesn’t look good.
    http://totalfratmove.com/miami-marli...or-on-twitter/
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Lines are posted for every Spring Training game.

Betting on Spring Training ----------> Yup.

Comment

egads. not into the betting world so i had no idea

really hope this is just people misreading his poor performances

i don't think mlb has a problem with betting if it's kept hush hush and doesn't involve baseball
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

I was at this game last Sunday, sitting right behind home plate. Cosart looked great against the first few batters but completely lost control after that until he was pulled at about 70 pitches. It's not like he intentionally walked every batter or was excessively wild. He was very close to the strike zone for most of the time, and the ump seemed
        To be calling a tiny strike zone. Cosart was throwing a lot of curveballs and fastballs with movement. I don't think he was intentionally trying to barely miss the strike zone for 5 innings. Can you imagine the extreme accuracy that requires? There were also errors behind him that led to more base runners than should have been on, which compounded the fact that he was wild. Furthermore, Minnesota was playing with a DH and Marlins batted their pitchers. I really don't buy this story. especially from an anonymous twitter user - so reliable!
        STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

I mean I don't doubt the gambling part is real.

I do extremely doubt the run shaving allegations. There's nothing to back that up, they're just looking at shitty outings as "proof".

Comment

It's hard to believe a website called Total Frat Move is breaking a story like this, and suggesting he shaves points because he is a below average SP is pretty silly. But, if it is even remotely true, hopefully Cosart is just an idiot and bet on some NCAA games and isn't radically suspended.

Glad they have Phelps.

Comment

1st of all, don't do this.

2nd of all, if you're going to do it, use a fake twitter account.

Just what we needed after such a perfect offseason. If anything happens, at least it's Cosart and not Fernandez or Stanton.
              --------------------
              @IAmJamesStewart: I'm getting more info on the Jarred Cosart situation. Once it hits main stream and baseball investigates him, he'll be banned for life.
              @IAmJamesStewart: @dave_lapointe I'm told he bet on baseball games like Pete Rose did.
              Twitter
              Last edited by Big Z; 03-25-2015, 08:26 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                It's hard to believe a website called Total Frat Move is breaking a story like this, and suggesting he shaves points because he is a below average SP is pretty silly. But, if it is even remotely true, hopefully Cosart is just an idiot and bet on some NCAA games and isn't radically suspended.

Glad they have Phelps.
                TFM is a fairly popular website, it's not crazy they'd break a story like this. The people who read TFM are likely ones those who are involved in the betting world.

I think the point shaving allegation is ridiculous too, there's absolutely nothing to back it up.

Comment

What is a better way for a 24 year old 2nd year mlb pitcher to make money?

Tank a game on purpose to win a game at your max limits (which are probably $10,000 for MLB games).

OR compile the best stats you can so that you continue to stay in the majors and make $500,000 a year as opposed to the minor leagues?

Cosart will be arbitration eligible soon (right?) with a potential payday of $6-8 million per year for three years until he is free agent eligible.

Do you think he would risk all that for a few $10,000 bets?

Common.

Comment

One Time.

Comment

There are other tweets from 03/02/15 indicating that he was betting on college games.

Comment

And him wagering on college basketball would be a huge deal?

Him tweeting about sports betting is dumb because of who he is.

Him betting on March Madness is not dumb, though.

Comment

MLB is apparently investigating now

Starting pitcher Jarred Cosart came to the Miami Marlins last summer hoping for a fresh start after a sometimes rocky tenure with the Houston Astros. Instead, he finds himself this morning amidst a Twitter-storm of allegations tying him to gambling. MLB is now looking into the claims, a spokesman tells New Times.

Cosart's troubles started last night with a gambling expert on Twitter alleging he'd direct messaged a colleague asking for betting advice. Costart later deleted his own account as tweets piled up accusing him of gambling, which would be a serious violation of baseball's rules.

Before jumping into the tale, it's worth noting: The entire firestorm stems from essentially anonymous Tweets from so-called gambling experts on Twitter. In other words, these are not the most reliable or transparent sources on the Internet. So take every allegation with a Marlins Park-sized grain of salt.

The claims originated with a Twitter user named @GhostFadeKillah, who Tweets regular betting advice (and, it's worth noting, includes among his activities "also troll a bit here and there.") New Times has messaged @GhostFadeKillah for more background on the story, but we haven't heard back yet.

The story picked up more steam this morning, when site Total Frat Move picked up the story and wrote that Cosart "may have unintentionally revealed that he bets on sports." That piece then got picked up by sports talk radio in Miami this morning, where the story has been a hot topic of conversation.

Now, Pat Courtney, Major League Baseball's Chief Communications Officer, confirms to New Times that the league is looking into the allegations.

That's not a surprise. Along with performance enhancing drugs, MLB has long viewed gambling as the direst threat to the sport — a view cemented after the revelations that Pete Rose had bet on the game. Today, MLB's Department of Investigation launches a full probe into any allegation — however flimsy — that a player has been tied to gambling.

As for Cosart, the 24-year-old pitcher has stayed silent this morning so far. New Times left messages with the Miami Marlins as well as Cosart's agent, Texas-based Erik Burkhardt, but we haven't heard back yet.

This isn't the first time Cosart's Twitter account has landed him in hot water. He had to apologize last year for using a gay slur on Twitter while slamming Justin Bieber. (Though he told the Herald last summer he didn't regret using the term.)

We'll continue updating this story as more information comes out.
                          http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/ml...mbling-7551747

Comment

Cosart apparently opened a new twitter account and claimed his account was hacked.... Lol

Comment

Welp glad that's cleared up.

Nothing to see here folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X