No announcement yet.

Marlins, Yelich sign 7 Year, $49.5 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a pretty good article one of my staffers put together on the Yelich signing.

http://marlinmaniac.com/2015/03/18/t...n-waiting-for/

Comment

Remember that one time Beinfest was our GM for 10 years and shit like this never happened?

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
        Remember that one time Beinfest was our GM for 10 years and shit like this never happened?
        Have we ever been able to pin no buyouts on Beinfest, or was it Loria telling him no longterm deals from the top?

I still think the problems were top down, and Loria is now realizing how bad he messed up with Cabrera and Hanley, and didn't want to repeat himself with Stanton, Yelich, and we hope Fernandez next.

Comment

Hanley and JJ happened under Beinfest. It's amazing how we've turned him into a scapegoat, when he put the majority of this team together and the front office has changed their philosophy so very little.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
            Hanley and JJ happened under Beinfest. It's amazing how we've turned him into a scapegoat, when he put the majority of this team together and the front office has changed their philosophy so very little.
            No, I think they're all dumb. And I wouldn't say Hanley/JJ are applicable when you look at service time of contracts.

But I recall quotes from Beinfest along the lines of how he was against signing players with such little service time. It could still be coming from Loria and a whole "don't bite the hand that feeds" quotes. Or I could be misremembering.

Comment

No, I think they're all dumb. And I wouldn't say Hanley/JJ are applicable when you look at service time of contracts.

But I recall quotes from Beinfest along the lines of how he was against signing players with such little service time. It could still be coming from Loria and a whole "don't bite the hand that feeds" quotes. Or I could be misremembering.
              I think that is Beinfest repeating the message from the top.

There is simply no way any baseball person would have advocated not buying out Cabrera after 2004.

Comment

That's fair. But I doubt that was Beinfest's decision anyways. If Loria didn't want to extend Yelich, there'd be nothing the front office could do. Loria wanted to extend him and it happened.

Comment

Loria won't be the owner when the expensive portion of Yelich/Stanton contracts arrive.

Comment

Great deal for us

Can't blame Beinfest for any signings or extensions-Beinfest was Loria's YES man. If Loria wanted to trade someone Beinfest would deal him

Jennings while he is a Loria favorite,does not listen to him like Beinfest did. He tries to talk him into doing stuff and going after guys. Not just say Yes sir and that is the end of it.

It is the same thing with how we go about the draft now too. Jennings is about scouting and trying to sign/draft the best guy. Beinfest was more about "signing bonus" than anything

Comment

Beinbergball is dead. Long live Beinbergball.

This is a good time to mention I bought a full season ticket for this season. #embargolifted

Daft, meet me at the Budweiser Bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Party View Post
                        Daft, meet me at the Budweiser Bar.
                        If you catch a Stanton homer, let us know.

Comment

Per MLBTR:

The deal breaks down as follows, per a tweet from Frisaro: after earning $570K this year, Yelich will received $1MM in 2016, $3.5MM in 2017, $7MM in 2018, $9.75MM in 2019, $12.5MM in 2020, and $14MM in 2021.

Comment

that is an absolute hell of a deal. 1M in 2016 and 3.5M in 2017 is insane. We're going to have a bunch of flexibility with him and Stanton locked up those years. And 14M in 2021 will end up being nothing for a solid OFer.
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I wouldn't say 1m in 2016 is insane, isn't that the going price for a non-arbitration year for a contract?

3.5m is definitely under in 2017, but it's also a big jump to 7m in 2018 to offset it. I have to imagine something is happening before 2018 (TV contract rework? Loria selling? Another firesale?) because that's also the big jump in Stanton's contract.

Either way, contract is awesome. Good deal if he just stays the player he is. And if he breaks out...

Comment

He'd still be league minimum for 2016 since I don't think he's super-two, so he'd be making twice that. But you best believe that $3.5 million for 2017 is a huge discount. Heck, even $7 million for 2018 should be a discount. My hunch from the very beginning is that 2018 is either new TV deal (They can opt out after 2017, right?) or Loria finally sells. Either way, all of these contracts start to jump up in 2018 and I can't imagine that they can be sustained unless the payroll operates at a $100 million minimum. The question is, with all the flexibility for 2016 and 2017, how much more money gets poured in?

Comment

Working...
                                X