Marlins in Mix for Hector Olivera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins in Mix for Hector Olivera

JUPITER, Fla. — The way the Marlins see it, Hector Olivera is big league-ready right now. If financially affordable, Miami would like to bring the 29-year-old Cuban star into its organization, according to sources.

But if the price is in the $70 million range, the Marlins are not interested. If the figure is more reasonable, Miami intends to make a strong push.

Miami, however, is not alone. The Padres, Braves, Dodgers, Mariners, Yankees, Giants and A’s have all been linked to the 29-year-old infielder.

Even with stiff competition, the Marlins may actually hold an edge in terms of location. According to the Miami Herald, Olivera finds South Florida appealing.

The Marlins have been in discussions with Olivera’s representatives, but the asking price has been too high. However, Olivera just changed agents, and he is now represented by Greg Genske of the Legacy Agency.

In terms of the player, the Marlins believe Olivera can make an impact at the big league level immediately. Miami’s starting infield currently is set, but Olivera is said to be able all four infield spots. So initially, he could be a factor all over the diamond.

At first base, for instance, Miami will be looking to preserve Michael Morse, who may wind up being a five-days-a-week starter. And the Marlins are hopeful of giving shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria some more off days.

More than his defense, Olivera’s bat is what is drawing so much of Miami’s interest.
    Joe Frisaro

I would replace Hech with him, but I'm not sure that is the Marlins intentions given that they were trying to give Hech an extension in the off-season. Olivera is 29 years old and should be ML ready. Where do you play him?

I would be stunned if the Marlins sign him. I doubt this guy gets 70 mil but the belief is that he could get close to 50mil.

Comment

The Pads reportedly offered $50 million already

Comment

we're in the mix for all these guys. we never sign any
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
          we're in the mix for all these guys. we never sign any
          For what it's worth (probably not much), he says he'd like to play in Miami.

He also just changed representation....some of the thinking apparently is the $70M figure they were shooting for mayve been too high and took many teams out of the bidding before it started (like us).

That said, it seems like we're only ever "in the mix" because they're from Cuba. Doesn't seem like we'll ever dish out enough to sign any of them.

Comment

They liked him when he defected and before we got Gordon/Morse/Prado

Like every Cuban-they love Miami BUT love money even more. Cuban guys sign with whatever team offers them the most(location means 0 to them)

Look for us more on the 19 yr old SP or the young 2B who defected but not this guy especially at the price

Comment

Can't see them committing getting Gordon and infatuation with Hech's defense and .276 batting average. Those two are going to get 15-16 before they discuss upgrades (and see development of Romero, etc.)

Assuming they have more money to spend, they should bank it for the trade deadline, extend Yelich, or move it towards a larger acquisition next year.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                Like every Cuban-they love Miami BUT love money even more.
                WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
                poop

Comment

Marlins remain in talks with Olivera
                  JUPITER, Fla. — Miami remains in the mix for Hector Olivera, but the club doesn’t know where it stands in talks mainly because the Cuban infielder just changed agents.

The Marlins had been in substantive talks with his previous representation, but now is establishing dialogue with his new agent, Greg Genske of The Legacy Agency. So the process is basically starting over.

There have been reports Olivera, 29, is seeking $70 million. But there is a feeling among those close to the situation that a more realistic figure is $50 million.

Miami, from what I’m hearing, is comfortable with that range.

Because of Olivera’s medical history, the feeling is his market will settle around $50 million. Obviously, all it takes is one team to make a larger financial offer.

The potential offensive production Olivera could offer makes him attractive to the Marlins. And there is a belief he is big league ready right now, although he likely would start off at Triple-A at least for a little while after he signs.

Where would Olivera play? He can play first, second, shortstop and third. The Marlins are set at all four positions, but the team is looking to give first baseman Michael Morse a day or two of rest each week. Shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria also could get some periodic days off.

Playing time tends to work itself out over a long season.
                  -Joe Frisaro

I am surprised we are comfortable at $50 million and actually feel likeif something can happen. His age and previous issues scare me but he's probably an immediate upgrade over Hech, and you don't keep a productive bat on the bench. If this is the only way to get Hech out of the lineup then so be it.
                  Last edited by Big Z; 03-11-2015, 10:33 PM.

Comment

If Olivera was in his early 20s this would be a much easier decision to give him $50 million given his production in Cuba. But the injury issues are incredibly concerning. After his missed season in 2012-2013 due to an injury (blood clots in biceps are no joke, not to mention the rumors that there might be some damage to his UCL), he displayed his lowest pure power numbers ever in Cuba, and by a sizable margin. This would be a much different story if we were getting Olivera after his amazing 2011-2012 season at 26 years old, but for a team with little margin for error in Miami, this definitely isn't a wise investment.

As much as Hechavarria could potentially hurt the team on offense next season, throwing potentially $50 million or $60 million at somebody who signs say has already surpassed his peak in Cuba, I just don't see this as being a match. The two Cuban players the Marlins needed to make runs at over the years were Cespedes, who really wanted to play in Miami and would've been a really nice addition to that 2012 team (even if our outfield is fine now), and Jose Abreu who signed with the White Sox at the top of his game (and the Marlins employing Garrett Jones at 1B). I can understand passing on Abreu given the price tag, but Cespedes should've been signed imo (this is unimportant to the topic but whatever).

I really don't think there's too many good options available to replace Hech at SS at the moment. It's probably best for the team to let the Hech situation play out, see if he improves some more at the plate and hopefully becomes serviceable while being an above average defender (I'll stand by this fact despite differing sabermetrics numbers). If he continues to post sub .650 OPS', explore the trade market in July. Olivera just doesn't seem like a smart move for us. Let the Padres get him.

Comment

That injured 29-year-old thing is very disconcerting to me. He may be an upgrade over Hech but at $50 million? I don't know if I want that.

Comment

We will be outbid easily

Comment

@clarkspencer: #Marlins made $53m offer for Hector Olivera, but backed away after hearing #dodgers offered $77m, source says. #padres 52m; #braves 44m
                          @clarkspencer: #Marlins offer was for 7 yrs, but made to previous representative, as were other figs. No telling how matters have changed with new rep.
                          Twitter
                          Last edited by Big Z; 03-12-2015, 02:58 PM.

Comment

lol $77m is absolutely fucking bonkers
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I doubt it's true. Can't see why we don't leave our offer on the table.

Comment

Working...
                              X