• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Spring Training so lol

And

They ain't getting no message, pal.

Comment

6-0 without Hech, 1-2 with him. So we definetly need his future all-star level productivity.

VIERA, Fla. -- The Marlins see Adeiny Hechavarria as much more than a flashy defensive shortstop. The organization believes the 25-year-old is making steady progress at the plate, and he is a potential speed threat on the bases.

For Hechavarria, it's a matter of putting his whole game together.

"He means so much to our team defensively," manager Mike Redmond said. "But he can hit, too. He's gotten better. He's worked hard at it, and he can run, which is another aspect to his game that we really haven't been able to tap into yet, partly because he hits where he hits, down at the bottom of the order."

Adeiny Hechavarria hasn't seen results on offense in his career so far but may start at shortstop again in 2015 because of his great defense
      Hechavarria projects to bat eighth, a tough spot because he's in front of the pitcher. But if he can improve his on-base percentage, he gives Miami a speed threat for when the lineup flips over.

Dee Gordon, who paced the Majors in steals with 64 last year, is expected to lead off, followed by Christian Yelich, who paced the Marlins in steals with 21 in '14.

If the lineup clicks as the club hopes, three speedy players could set the table for slugger Giancarlo Stanton.

"Now, potentially, you think about Hech, Dee, and Yeli coming up before the big boy," Redmond said. "I like the chances that we're going to have some speed on the bases when Stanton hits. That's going to be fun."

Hechavarria enters his third season with the Marlins after he was acquired from the Blue Jays in November 2012.

In 2013, his first full big league season, Hechavarria batted .227 with a .267 on-base percentage in a team-high 543 at-bats.

Hechavarria improved his numbers to .276/.308/.356 last season.

"It's been a steady climb," Redmond said. "The first year was a good year for him in terms of him getting as many at-bats as he did."
      Hechavarria was a Gold Glove finalist last year. And this spring, he missed a week because of a sore right shoulder. He led off on Saturday against the Nationals at Space Coast Stadium.

The plan is for him to play again Sunday against the Tigers at Roger Dean Stadium.

"He didn't really miss a whole lot in terms of at-bats," Redmond said. "He had been swinging in the back fields and in simulated games. But he's back."
      http://m.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...arrias-offense
      Last edited by marlinsfan24; 03-14-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I mean it's true that hitting in front of the pitcher creates a different approach since he likely doesn't see as great of pitches with an easier out behind him. However, a good hitter would use that spot to work on his patience, draw some walks and get himself on base, even if other teams are just doing that because they want to face the pitcher.

Hechavarria walked 26 times in 500+ AB's (less than 4% walk rate). That just plain sucks anywhere in the lineup. If the Marlins really want to make Hechavarria a legitimate player at the plate, they need to teach him how to take some pitches. If he can up his OBP even close to the .330 range he'd be a serviceable player. An OBP barely over .300 when he brings absolutely no power to the table makes him not worth a spot in a major league everyday lineup.
        --------------------
        I just saw in the article you posted that it mentions Hech needing to improve his OBP. I'm upset that's not a direct quote from Red. He and the front office need to understand that. Go full Whiplash and slap him every time he swings at a pitch outside the zone in practice (ok don't do that since that's what got Tino fired ).
        Last edited by dim; 03-14-2015, 11:58 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

1st half: .276/.302/.341 .325babip 3.8bb% 15.6k%
          2nd half: .276/.314/.374 .320babip 5.4bb% 14.2k%

if he's just the player he was in the 2nd half of last season, he'll be fine. anywhere from a 1-2 WAR player depending on how the metrics feel about his defense this season

Our record with/without him in spring training is definitely relevant though. Like when we had the best record in the NL in Spring Training last season.
          Last edited by HUGG; 03-15-2015, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
            Our record with/without him in spring training is definitely relevant though. Like when we had the best record in the NL in Spring Training last season.
            exactly what I'm saying. Spring training numbers are much more important than regular season numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
              I mean it's true that hitting in front of the pitcher creates a different approach since he likely doesn't see as great of pitches with an easier out behind him. However, a good hitter would use that spot to work on his patience, draw some walks and get himself on base, even if other teams are just doing that because they want to face the pitcher.

Hechavarria walked 26 times in 500+ AB's (less than 4% walk rate). That just plain sucks anywhere in the lineup. If the Marlins really want to make Hechavarria a legitimate player at the plate, they need to teach him how to take some pitches. If he can up his OBP even close to the .330 range he'd be a serviceable player. An OBP barely over .300 when he brings absolutely no power to the table makes him not worth a spot in a major league everyday lineup.
              Average MLB shortstop hit .255/.310/.368 last season.

Hech hit .276/.308/.356.

I don't think he's any good, but expecting a .330 OBP from him in a league that averaged .314 last season doesn't seem particularly fair.

I'm kind of done complaining about Hech, TBH. He's not going anywhere, we're wasting our breath.
              --------------------
              I'm probably gonna complain a lot more about Dee Gordon this year.
              Last edited by Bobbob1313; 03-15-2015, 10:34 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                I'm probably gonna complain a lot more about Dee Gordon this year.
                The man's gonna steal yo bases then steal yo girl.

Comment

Zack Wheeler is out for the year, tore his UCL in his elbow.

I really wish we got Shields. This division outside of Washington is weak as shit, but we still need everything to go right and no injuries
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

He was kind of a Marlins killer too IIRC
                    --------------------
                    For what it's worth, Las Vegas oddsmakers are higher on the Mets than they are on the Marlins.

I don't get it but,yeah.
                    Last edited by Namaste; 03-16-2015, 02:53 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                      He was kind of a Marlins killer too IIRC
                      --------------------
                      For what it's worth, Las Vegas oddsmakers are higher on the Mets than they are on the Marlins.

I don't get it but,yeah.
                      I would think oddsmakers aren't just concerned with the probability of the event happening but also the percentage of bets that will be placed regardless of the odds so it makes sense.

Comment

Plus I'm sure there are more people who are just betting on the Mets than the Marlins simply cause New York.

Comment

Deitrich on his way to NOLA. I can't find his Spring Training #'s anywhere..............

Comment

lol so is Bour. Donovan Solano is going to be your backup 1B, everyone. One time common

Dietrich .222/.364/.556 (.919 OPS) in 18 ABs
                            --------------------
                            I mentioned this from an interview back in January: "-Bowden said he's a huge Mike Morse fan but doesn't like the defense and the health, so he asked what the Marlins' backup plan was. Redmond said it will be a spring training competition, and mentioned that Solano has worked with Hill at first base, but said that no doubt the team was counting on Morse to be healthy and they think that if he focuses on playing one position and doesn't have to worry about where he's playing it will help him."

http://soflamarlins.com/showthread.php?t=7003
                            Last edited by emkayseven; 03-18-2015, 09:18 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Yeah we wouldn't want Deitrichs .919 OPS up in the big leagues.

Comment

To be fair, if Morse gets injured, Bour will be called up, and it's probably better that he's getting every day ABs in preparation for that potential situation than getting 2 ABs a week on the bench.
                                --------------------
                                Dietrich I have no explanation for. That will always baffle me. I don't understand why he's still in the organization honestly.
                                Last edited by Nick; 03-18-2015, 10:12 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X