Marlins Manager Mike Redmond on MLB Network Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Manager Mike Redmond on MLB Network Radio

Been meaning to post this - I caught his interview with Casey Stern and Jim Bowden 2 nights ago and took some notes. Nothing that new, but a few interesting things.

-He mentioned once again that they may possibly get Jose Fernandez back in June. He said this in the last MLBNR interview I heard a few months ago.

-Casey Stern asked about the Haren situation and asked if Redmond himself has spoken to Haren. Red danced around the subject a bit, said Haren was a professional and he knows there's been conversations with the front office. Red said they all know he'd prefer to be back home but they hope that he'll go out there and pitch. Redmond said when spring training starts hopefully he'll be in a Marlins uniform and he'll have a conversation with him then.

-Redmond mentioned that they plan on stretching Crow and Phelps out in spring training and letting them go out and compete for a starting job, and if not having one or both in the bullpen. He didn't rule out both of them being starters or relievers. He said the organization felt they needed depth in case someone gets banged up, and that that was something that was missing last year.

-He mentioned that the priority going into the offseason was to target a leadoff hitter. He mentioned that Dee Gordon was excited to work with Perry Hill. Jim Bowden talked for a minute about how he's seen a lot of analytics show Gordon as below average at 2B but he didn't like those stats - he mentioned that Gordon was above average at SS and that a move to 2B isn't as easy as everyone thinks, and noted that if Dee works with Hill he should become above average. Redmond agreed and noted the poor analytics on Hech's defense as a comparison. He and Bowden both mentioned they think they will be a dynamic double play combination.

-Casey Stern mentioned that it was clear they looked at player makeup in acquisition in relation to Prado, Morse, and Gordon being good clubhouse guys, and noted that through his years of interviews multiple players mentioned Martin Prado as the best teammate they ever had. Redmond said he had heard that as well, and said he loved that they got "good teammate" type guys.

-Bowden mentioned Shields and Redmond laughed. Bowden said he likes the Marlins a lot as a dark horse candidate, but Red was silent.

-Bowden said he's a huge Mike Morse fan but doesn't like the defense and the health, so he asked what the Marlins' backup plan was. Redmond said it will be a spring training competition, and mentioned that Solano has worked with Hill at first base, but said that no doubt the team was counting on Morse to be healthy and they think that if he focuses on playing one position and doesn't have to worry about where he's playing it will help him.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Solano and his career .651 OPS shouldn't be anywhere near first base.

Comment

or any other base
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

He's gonna get 400 ABs again, isn't he?

Comment

oh I have no doubt

Comment

He's never gotten 400 ABs before, so I'm gonna go with no.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
              He's never gotten 400 ABs before, so I'm gonna go with no.
              He's a grinder, so if you doubt he can get 400 AB's, he'll find a way.

Comment

Does he grind it out when he goes home, like Jeff Mathis?

Comment

Working...
                X