UPDATE: Marlins to Host 2017 All-Star Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Party View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the new commissioner handles the All-Star Game determining home field in the World Series. Seems unfair to me that the next three are in NL cities and the commissioner in favor of a bidding system.
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I like the idea of a bidding system either. I feel like most of the smaller markets (like us) will never end up hosting it because they won't be willing to (or can't) put in a competitive bid on hosting it. At least I'm assuming there's a monetary component to it? Correct me if I'm wrong, I couldn't find info on the NFL system.

If it's more of a plain "here's what we have to offer" bid without a monetary component (or perhaps a set amount to keep the playing field equal between large and small market clubs), I'd be more open to the idea.

Comment

It's not a financial bid. It's more a system where cities have to propose what they can offer in the form of hotel rooms, broadcasting facilities and tax incentives. After all the league and franchises want to make the greatest amount of money possible. Deadspin did an article on the NFL's requirements to host games.

Comment

Ah ok. That makes more sense. I wonder if that would favor a market like Miami then. It's not like the city is a stranger to hosting big events.

I will say - I bet they're going to make a better attempt to get those parking garage retail spaces filled before the 2017 ASG. That wouldn't look very good on national television (not that the surrounding neighborhood would either but still).

Comment

Press conference at 2:00 today

Comment

Comment

Charles Johnson winning Ugliest Suit Award in a landslide, boysssssssss.

Comment

Working...
              X