No announcement yet.

Marlins acquire Prado & Phelps from the Yankees for Eovaldi, Jones and German

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping McGehee makes no sense. You don't keep a player on the bench just because he's capable of filling in at one position unless that position is catcher. He serves no purpose and I don't understand why he'd even want to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
      I don't see any value to having McGehee on the team. Since when do you carry a player solely because he can backup at 3B? Also, why would he want to stay anyway?
      He can slot in at both corner infield spots (I'm assuming he can handle first base, no?) and isn't a bad bat off the bench, so he definitely has some value on this team. I just think we'd be better off cutting as much cost as possible to make a run at Shields.

Comment

Keeping McGehee makes no sense. You don't keep a player on the bench just because he's capable of filling in at one position unless that position is catcher. He serves no purpose and I don't understand why he'd even want to stay.
        Casey McGehee career
        vs RHP .270/.325/.402
        vs LHP .248/.322/.393

So it's not like 2014 was some fluke thing with reversed stats

He hits righties decently well, he plays 3B which is a tough position to get any kind of offense whatsoever out of, he has the "clubhouse leader" mentality, he plays 2 positions, and the Marlins don't have a backup at said positions because Baker can only hit vs. LHP which is 15% of pitchers. If Morse goes down, you're comfortable having Baker hit everyday?

And again, why does him wanting to stay have anything to do with it? He doesn't have a choice. He's under contract. This isn't a free agent scenario.
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

and when McGehee plays 3B Prado becomes 4th OF like Lou said

Prado can play LF and RF

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
            McGehee 2014
            vs RHP: .303/.364/.375
            vs LHP: .219/.316/.281
            --------------------

oh I forgot he has a say in the matter
            --------------------
            JCR just reported Marlins are only getting $6M ($3 each year)

So he's a 2/$16 player
            Seems like a fluke. His Career splits are pretty much equal vs. LHP/vs. RHP.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
              Seems like a fluke. His Career splits are pretty much equal vs. LHP/vs. RHP.
              in his career (see above post) he's still (marginally) better vs. RHP

Also he drastically changed his approach last season. He's due for regression but not to the point where all of a sudden after hitting righties pretty well his whole career he suddenly stops
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

and I guarantee that margin is entirely from last years splits being so lopsided.

Comment

The Marlins are now expected to try to trade McGehee, who is arbitration eligible.
                  Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Cool
                    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                      Casey McGehee career
                      vs RHP .270/.325/.402
                      vs LHP .248/.322/.393

So it's not like 2014 was some fluke thing with reversed stats

He hits righties decently well, he plays 3B which is a tough position to get any kind of offense whatsoever out of, he has the "clubhouse leader" mentality, he plays 2 positions, and the Marlins don't have a backup at said positions because Baker can only hit vs. LHP which is 15% of pitchers. If Morse goes down, you're comfortable having Baker hit everyday?

And again, why does him wanting to stay have anything to do with it? He doesn't have a choice. He's under contract. This isn't a free agent scenario.
                      If Morse goes down, just platoon Baker with a left-handed hitter (Bour/Dietrich?), and you'd actually get more production that way than starting Casey McGehee at 1B every day. McGehee really serves no purpose.

As for your last point, I think it's bad business and not worth it. That's a stance to take when a player is actually good and useful to the team. McGehee isn't that. McGehee had a fluke year that got him an NL Comeback Player of the Year Award and now he's being asked to move to the bench in a contract year. Why would he want that? It's not worth it. Move him to another team and let him have his opportunity to fail elsewhere. He's not that good.

Comment

maybe Giants might be interested in McGehee?
                        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                        - Michael Johnson

Comment

The Padres have a crap ton of outfielders now. Gotta think Haren for Seth Smith, right?
                          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

If Morse goes down, just platoon Baker with a left-handed hitter (Bour/Dietrich?), and you'd actually get more production that way than starting Casey McGehee at 1B every day. McGehee really serves no purpose.

As for your last point, I think it's bad business and not worth it. That's a stance to take when a player is actually good and useful to the team. McGehee isn't that. McGehee had a fluke year that got him an NL Comeback Player of the Year Award and now he's being asked to move to the bench in a contract year. Why would he want that? It's not worth it. Move him to another team and let him have his opportunity to fail elsewhere. He's not that good.
                            And if Prado goes down our options are? Solano is basically it since we moved Kike. Not really stoked at the thought of Solano starting.

Comment

I can't believe they are not gonna have Casey as their third baseman. Never thought that would happen to begin the season.
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                                The Padres have a crap ton of outfielders now. Gotta think Haren for Seth Smith, right?
                                Too much money for a back up.
                                - Michael Johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X