Marlins Sign Mike Morse to a Two Year Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Frisaro @JoeFrisaro
    Morse's deal, from what I've been told, is 2 yrs and in the $12 million range. No exact figure given #Marlins

Comment

Frisaro said the deal is in the $12 million range.
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

That makes more sense considering he made $6 million last season. Probably gonna get that the next to years, too.

Comment

Two things for the haters.

130 ops+ last year. More than Morneua, more than LaRoche. Better career OPS+ than both. As someone else already pointed out, bad in 2012 because of low BABIP.

Secondly, his war numbers look terrible because people keep putting him in the OF. He has respectable defensive 1b numbers. Having him at 1b greatly improves his value.

This is at least a 2 WAR gain over Jones. I'm glad it's not Morneau cuz I really think he tanks next year, though he is at least a plus defensively.
          Last edited by nny; 12-16-2014, 12:50 PM.

Comment

espn still says 2/8. maybe 4 mil worth of possible incentives.

Comment

Baker should be our starting 3B vs. LHP. That, alone, will greatly improve our overall 3B production.

(he probably won't be)

Comment

I wish we didn't dump both Canha and Jensen, and instead dump Baker and allow one of them to be the power RHB on the bench. Would save money and hopefully a long term bench option

He doesn't really fit with the team now. No way they platoon with McGehee, and Dee is only LHB in IF now. Gordon has been really bad in his career against LHP, but he showed improvement last year and there's a HUGE gap defensively

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but ESPN is the last place I would look for baseball news. However, if I wanted Brett Favre or Domestic violence news or lebron, I look for espn.
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

McGehee's 2014 splits are hilarious

vs. R .303/.364/.375 .356babip
                    vs. L .219/.316/.281 .245babip

obviously, the BABIP renders them meaningless and historically he's basically an equal player vs. either hand.

But Baker is so vastly superior to him vs. LH, it's sad that he's not gonna get used. Like nny said, we should probably just trade him. We're not gonna take advantage of what he brings.

Comment

ideally, mcgehee would be a bench guy. oh well.
                      poop

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                        I wish we didn't dump both Canha and Jensen, and instead dump Baker and allow one of them to be the power RHB on the bench. Would save money and hopefully a long term bench option

He doesn't really fit with the team now. No way they platoon with McGehee, and Dee is only LHB in IF now. Gordon has been really bad in his career against LHP, but he showed improvement last year and there's a HUGE gap defensively
                        Jensen was never gonna get a chance here. They had been trying to move him for 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                          It's too bad the rest of the infield will likely be replacement level or below (but Gordon can run fast) because that's a crazy deal.

I really think this team's a hitter away.
                          I agree with this, because Stanton probably out projects the infield in WAR by himself.

Not sure they need a hitter, I think a premium (Shields) pitcher does the trick also.

Really is interesting to think if they can move Haren, Cishek, Eovaldi, and Jones, that clears $20+ million, they get trade assets, and theoretically have money to spend

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                            Two things for the haters.

130 ops+ last year. More than Morneua, more than LaRoche. Better career OPS+ than both. As someone else already pointed out, bad in 2012 because of low BABIP.

Secondly, his war numbers look terrible because people keep putting him in the OF. He has respectable defensive 1b numbers. Having him at 1b greatly improves his value.

This is at least a 2 WAR gain over Jones. I'm glad it's not Morneau cuz I really think he tanks next year, though he is at least a plus defensively.
                            Wow.

And LaRoche would have cost us double what we will be paying Morse.

Comment

And two years older. Though, he does have a better history of producing.

Comment

Cant complain at all on the price. Less than Kendry Morales got.
                                "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                                - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Working...
                                X