No announcement yet.

Marlins Acquire RHP Aaron Crow from Royals for LHP Brian Flynn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That Yelich number is low, but if it gets the parties talking great.

But yes - I would hope not spending means they have stockpiled to sign a big guy like Shields, look to buyout their own, and acquire good 1-2 year veterans like LaRoche to patch holes rather than make annual prayers or Cantu/McGehee types.

Comment

I mean, I don't necessarily think that you're wrong. 21 out of 30 teams had a payroll over $90 million last season and 16 of those teams had it over $100 million. Realistically, that's the number you need to compete in the modern MLB market. And I agree, if $70 million is the max this team can produce on a year-to-year basis (as opposed to $110 million to $30 million to $50 million as it has the past three years), then I don't know if Major League Baseball truly is viable in this market. But I think it is. The Dolphins and Heat have had no problems or questioning about whether or not they could survive in South Florida even when they have had attendance or stadium issues. The only things I think that are different between those franchises and the Marlins are owner and television. Jeffery Loria is richer than any of us will ever be but the man is still not nearly worth the same that Micky Arison or Stephen Ross are. Arison and Ross can afford to lose $20-30 million a year on a team. Jeffery Loria, as he showed you in 2012 after they did lose about $20 million, cannot.

Frankly, I think this is setting up for a sale--even though the Marlins organization is denying it. Of course they'd deny it. Why would they actively be saying "Jeffery Loria is looking to sell the Marlins." By the end of the 2015 season, he'll be free to earn 100% of the profits from the ball club. But, by 2017, a new TV deal will be in effect and the Marlins will likely still be a good (and also cheap, in terms of salaries since this is before Stanton hits the $25-35 million range) team and one that will be at the peak of their value. Because otherwise, Loria does not have the money to truly pay for and sustain what you need to stay afloat at the MLB level considering the Marlins financial situation. $100 million payrolls are the amount you need to be at in this day and age. No one is asking the Marlins to be the Dodgers or the Yankees and spend a quarter-billion on their roster. I mean, even $80 million will have them at 27th in the league. But it's clear that, even with the team that as constructed is a .500 club, even being a handful of moves away from actually being in the conversation, that winning is still a secondary priority for this ownership group. Do I think they're actively going out of their way to field shitty teams while they move the pieces around, a la Huzienga in 98 and 99? No. I think they would be ecstatic if the Marlins won 95 games next season and every season until someone takes the reigns. I just think it's clear that the Marlins would rather take their chances with a cheap team because they have to.
      Last edited by thatnewguy; 12-01-2014, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X