IT'S OFFICIAL: Marlins, Giancarlo Stanton Agree to 13 Year/$325 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
    Insurance is a thing though. There are ways to get his money without committing to a place he doesn't want to be (if he doesn't want to be here).
    I don't believe that's what Lou is saying though. He's saying, if he declines an extension, he's basically saying "I was on pace to have my first healthy year of my career and in a split second almost lost my entire career, but I'm going to bank on the fact that it never happens again over the next two years."

Has nothing to do with insurance. If he's seriously injured again in his 2 arb years, he loses hundreds of millions of dollars. Insurance doesn't cover potential future contracts.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      Insurance doesn't cover potential future contracts.
      Doesn't it? I've read about guys like Jameis Winston getting insurance to cover future earnings in case of an injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
        Doesn't it? I've read about guys like Jameis Winston getting insurance to cover future earnings in case of an injury.
        He's also not a professional athlete.

My guess is the standard MLB contract does not allow the player to take out insurance on himself... but it probably allows the Marlins to take it out and be the beneficiary.
        --------------------
        Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
        I don't believe that's what Lou is saying though. He's saying, if he declines an extension, he's basically saying "I was on pace to have my first healthy year of my career and in a split second almost lost my entire career, but I'm going to bank on the fact that it never happens again over the next two years."
        Yes
        Last edited by lou; 09-12-2014, 02:58 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Interesting.

Not related but on the mlb.com replay you can totally see Stanton's teeth flying out of his mouth.
          --------------------
          It's gross
          Last edited by Mainge; 09-12-2014, 03:01 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Just a horrific play. I just moved so I didn't get to see it live. Hopefully he is a 100% going forward after this. I don't care what it costs to sign him they just need to make it happen. But I know it won't

Comment

MIAMI -- Contract talks have started between Giancarlo Stanton and the Miami Marlins, who are prepared to offer a multiyear deal that would be a big departure for the historically thrifty franchise.

President of baseball operations Mike Hill declined to say whether the Marlins have made an offer, but they've begun discussions with agent Joel Wolfe regarding an agreement with the All-Star right fielder.

"Negotiations are ongoing,'' Hill said Wednesday. "We're hopeful we'll be able to make him a Marlin for many years to come.''

Even if Stanton rejects the Marlins' offer, he's expected to play for Miami next year. He doesn't become a free agent until after the 2016 season.

Stanton recently won the NL Hank Aaron Award and was voted the NL's outstanding player in balloting by his fellow major leaguers. He's a top candidate for the NL Most Valuable Player Award.

"He's the MVP in my eyes,'' Hill said. "There are probably some things that will impact our negotiations that still need to be determined. But we reached out and let his representative know we're ready to engage.''

Stanton's season ended Sept. 11 when he was hit in the face by a pitch. Despite missing the final 17 games, he led the NL with 37 homers and a .555 slugging percentage for the Marlins, who went 77-85 but ended a three-year streak of last-place finishes in the NL East.

Stanton has 154 career homers at age 24 and is part of a talented young Marlins roster.

"We have a different team when he's not in the lineup,'' Hill said. "He's a big part of our offense. That's why we're trying to keep him long-term in the middle of that order and surround him with pieces that give us an opportunity to win on a daily basis.''

The Marlins haven't set a deadline regarding negotiations, Hill said.

"At some point he's either going to be signed to a multiyear or a one-year,'' Hill said.

Wolfe didn't respond to messages from the AP seeking comment.

The last time the Marlins spent big was before a poor 2012 season, the first in their new ballpark. Their 2014 payroll of $52.3 million was the lowest in the majors. That figure is expected to rise next year, but Hill declined to offer specifics.

"We're going to be able to do what we need to do,'' he said. "The plan is to retain all our players including the big right fielder hopefully and find a way to continue to upgrade the roster.''

Hill said Stanton looks great but still has an occasional headache in the wake of his beaning. He's expected to follow his normal offseason workout routine, but likely won't get in a batting cage until spring training.

Ace Jose Fernandez is on schedule in his recovery from Tommy John surgery, Hill said.

"Jose's progress has been great,'' Hill said. "We are cautiously optimistic he'll be back and ready to go sometime in June or July.''
              http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...xtension-talks

he gone
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

We are trying to get a "discount" on Stanton and Loria is trying to tell his agent that IF Stanton takes less that he will reinvest that money in other players.

Loria needs to just sell this team-everyone knows that he won't be reinvesting the cash into others. Stanton wants around 200 million and we aren't close to that number yet

Another thing is the Dodgers have been mentioning to "people" that Stanton is worth the 200 million and Boston is also willing to pay him that much IF they miss out on Sandoval

Comment

Shut the fuck up tjfla.

So looks like a 1 year and traded at the deadline or offseason.
                  Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                  Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

Comment

"There are probably some things that will impact our negotiations that still need to be determined. But we reached out and let his representative know we're ready to engage.''

This and Hill mentioning headaches tells me the Marlins are using the "you've never been healthy a full season and you might have lasting effects from the beaning" mode of negotiations

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
                        So looks like a 1 year and traded at the deadline or offseason.
                        Yep.

And this comment applies to Fernandez and Yelich in late 2017.

Comment

Loria looks way too healthy for someone in his mid 70s. We're screwed.

Comment

Several real life friends and I are going to wear brown paper bags over our heads (I know, very retro) to the first baseball game in Miami after Stanton is traded.

We would love if all of you joined us.

Brown Paper Bag Party's On

Comment

Sounds like something you hear in a gay club.

Comment

I'd rather do a protest that doesn't give Loria money. Kind of defeats the purpose. "Treat us like shit, but don't worry, we'll still come."

Comment

Working...
                                X