No announcement yet.

IT'S OFFICIAL: Marlins, Giancarlo Stanton Agree to 13 Year/$325 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I mean, it costs the Marlins the biggest contract in the history of sports (and one that is incredibly player friendly) in order to retain him.

I have zero problem with anyone who said we had no chance to sign him and don't think they should eat crow for it. The chance this was going to happen was so incredibly slim.

We should be celebrating rather than witch hunting.

Comment

• Hanley's not the only former Marlins slugger available.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
        Hanley's not the only former Marlins slugger available.
        Getting the gang back together? lol We can lead the league in errors, homers and strikeouts.

Comment

• Kyle Jensen

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
            Kyle Jensen
            So a Marlins OF'er WAS traded to the Dodgers after all!

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
              Kyle Jensen
              Makes me feel something is coming. Marlins are very methodical about clearing 40 man space. They are at 36 now (not including Fernandez DL).

Who is eligible that needs to be added? Conley? Nicolino? Brice? Barnes?

Doesn't leave much room for transactions, but of course Caminero, Brantly, Bour (sorry fan club), and Olmos are probably roster churn guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                Makes me feel something is coming. Marlins are very methodical about clearing 40 man space. They are at 36 now (not including Fernandez DL).

Who is eligible that needs to be added? Conley? Nicolino? Brice? Barnes?

Doesn't leave much room for transactions, but of course Caminero, Brantly, Bour (sorry fan club), and Olmos are probably roster churn guys.

Well the protection deadline from the Rule V Draft is on Thursday (November 20.) All the players you mentioned need to be protected. The only other "maybe" is Austin Wates, but probably not.
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
                  Getting the gang back together? lol We can lead the league in errors, homers and strikeouts.
                  If we score 800 runs I'm fine with that.

Comment

• Burn the stadium down if we don't make the playoffs within the next 4 years.

Comment

• Why are all the national writers still so butt hurt over the Blue Jays trade? Those free agents fucking sucked and getting rid of those contracts for a good return was the right move.

Comment

• Because we are the Marlins. Whenever we trade a significant player, it is a fire sale.

I can't wait to see what we do to protect Stanton in the lineup. If they don't want to start Bour, will they try to sign Tomas or LaRoche? Are they looking to upgrade at 1B, 2B or 3B? I'm assuming McGehee sticks at 3B at least through this year. I would like to see Bour at 1B. Maybe 2B will be our key target this offseason?

Comment

• The LeBatard show replayed Samson's comments about Ichiro's contract with the Mariners in 2007. Classic:

During his weekly segment on 790 The Ticket, Samson characterized the idea of the Mariners making Suzuki a $20 million a year player as "inexcusable" and "complete mismanagement." The rant drew national media attention.

Samson went on to say: "There's no chance anybody is worth that. Ichiro has led his team to zero, nothing. It's unbelievable. You know what, everybody gets what they deserve. I guess maybe that would be more luxury tax money and revenue sharing money they would have to give. I'm sure it can't be true. There's no way they gave $20 million a year to Ichiro at his age for five years. There's no way. It literally will take the sport down, that contract."

Comment

• Gotta love the national media-u don't spend money and they hate u. U do spend money and it's too much

Comment

• Stanton wanted flexibility for Marlins
                              Jayson Stark [ARCHIVE]

ESPN.com | November 18, 2014
                              If Giancarlo Stanton opts out of his new 13-year, $325 million contract with the Miami Marlins after the first six seasons, he'll be walking away from a staggering $218 million over the final seven seasons, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN.com Tuesday.

However, one source said Stanton was so motivated to give his team the financial flexibility to win now, he agreed to a heavily backloaded contract structure that will pay him just $30 million over the first three seasons.

According to a major league source who had seen the terms, Stanton's salaries over those first three seasons will be only $6.5 million in 2015, $9 million in 2016 and $14.5 million in 2017, far less than he could have earned through arbitration in 2015-16 and then via free agency. He would then earn $77 million over the next three seasons, and could opt out of the contract after 2020, following his age 30 season.

So the Marlins would be on the hook for only $107 million of the deal over the first six seasons, which computes to an average annual value of just $17.83 million per season before Stanton would have the right to exercise the opt-out clause.

If Stanton remains a Marlin, the $218 million he would collect over those final seven seasons would average out to $31.14 million a year. He will have a complete no-trade clause through the life of the contract, a first for the Marlins under the ownership of Jeffrey Loria.

Sources said the contract was structured in a way that reflects Stanton's desire to give the Marlins the financial flexibility to construct a winning team around him in the early seasons of the deal. If they don't use that flexibility to add the pieces to build a contender, he could walk away and become a free agent again at age 31.

However, he would also be walking away from the majority of his guaranteed money by doing so.

The Marlins are looking for a middle-of-the-order bat to hit behind Stanton and have shown aggressive interest in free-agent first baseman Adam LaRoche, among others.

The $325 million deal with Stanton, who turned 25 earlier this month, represents the largest contract in the history of North American professional sports. The Marlins have scheduled an 11 a.m. news conference Wednesday.
                              ESPN

As expected

Comment

• They like LaRoche but wanna move Jones and/or Salty before they go hard after him

Even tho they signed Stanton they are shopping Salty,Jones,Cishek,Dunn and prospects. They want a SP bad and have had talks with Baltimore for Ubaldo/Bud Norris and SD for Cashner

Comment

Working...
                                X