GM Dan Jennings on MLBNR Regarding Jose Fernandez, Offseason Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Dan Jennings on MLBNR Regarding Jose Fernandez, Offseason Plans

Caught DJ's interview on MLB Network Radio just a few minutes ago and took some notes. Lots of interesting things.
    • He reiterated that the offseason plan was to add a bat and a starter.
    • In doing so, he mentioned that Jose will be out until "June or July."
    • He was asked about Cuban defector Yasmany Tomas. He said he couldn't see where they'd put him and that despite their reports on his ability they didn't want to disrupt their outfield.
    • Mike Ferrin then asked about Christian Yelich and if his winning a Gold Glove would prevent him from moving to 1B. Jennings pretty much unequivocally dismissed the idea, saying that would "be a hard sell" and that they like the athleticism of our three OFers.
    • Jennings spoke very highly of Casey McGehee. He mentioned that in addition to his hitting they really liked what he brought to the clubhouse. He said that the way he carried himself and his approach at the plate really rubbed off on the young players.
    • Jim Duquette asked him what kind of pitcher they were looking at this offseason. Jennings said that "priority 1" is that it's someone who helps now and that the team can grow with. If they aren't able to achieve that, they'll look at something else. He mentioned that they had the youngest starting rotation last year so they'd like to mix in some veteran presence, and they want someone who can get close to the 200 inning mark.
    • He then mentioned Jose's timetable again, saying that he "likes the trade we can make in July when we get Jose Fernandez back" and said "things are progressing very well."
    • Finally he discussed the Arizona Fall League a bit. He said he expects DeSclafani to contribute in some way again this season. Jennings was specifically asked about Reid Redman and Brian Ellington. He said they both have tremendous arms and tremendous upside. He noted that their AFL reports are "very positive" and that he expects them both to fight for spots on upper level teams and make the majors at some point this year. Mike Ferrin noted that he saw Ellington touch 102 mph on the gun.

After the interview Duquette and Ferrin were singing Jennings's praises, talking about what a good baseball man he is and how lately you've seen teams that were stat-heavy start incorporating scouts, but the Marlins are scout heavy and are now incorporating stats and that could make them dangerous.

I liked the bit about the starting pitcher - it tells me they aren't going to try to sign a one year veteran deal and are actually going to try and sign a pitcher that could be here for a few years.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

I mean, it's all salary dependent.

This is roughly $50 million next year.

Salty, Mathis
    Jones, ____________
    Dietrich, Kike, Baker
    Hech
    McGehee, _____________
    Yelich
    Ozuna
    Stanton (backup OF Kike, Jones, Baker)

Alvarez, ___________, Cosart, Koehler, Heaney
    Ramos, Morris, Capps, Hatcher, Hand, Jennings, Dyson, or pick your other favorite MiLB arm

Obviously, I have taken Cishek ($7), Eovaldi ($3), and Dunn ($2) off the team.

If they plan to add a bat for a starter, they can probably turn those three pitchers into at least one very good young corner IF and some other Dietrich/Kike level guy, and then they can spend all the money on SP. Any extra can go to the bench or bullpen. If they go up to $65, they can replace one of the infielder bats with a veteran infielder, and maybe keep Dunn.

Saying that, #1 priority (ignoring stanton) is locking up Yelich. Glad that was addressed.....

Comment

They'll sign someone like Randy Wolf and Kevin Gregg and say they fulfilled their promises. Veteran prescenses right there.

Comment

The Marlins are planning to build around Stanton and a core of young players, who also are candidates for extensions. The team also is considering locking up left fielder Christian Yelich, center fielder Marcell Ozuna and shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria to multi-year deals this offseason.
        Joe Frisaro

I think Stanton gets 7/$200MM or 6/$175MM.
        Last edited by Big Z; 11-05-2014, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Hechavarria is the only one they'll get signed.

Comment

Multi year deal to Hechavarria after passing on multiple opportunities to sign Stanton. Mick Mouse
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
            X