Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fangraphs Piece on Hech Defense

Very well done and the comments are solid

Good piece on how his overall value would be impacted by his defensive spectrum:

http://www.fishstripes.com/2014/8/26...eason-spectrum
    --------------------
    Hechavarria doesn’t appear to perform up to his ceiling, as a lot of hits find a way to get right by him, but when you see an incredible play get made, that can serve as a mental indicator of skill, leading one to over-weight great plays and under-weight general consistency.
    That's a very good summation of the issue. It also does a good job of summing up the limitations of "I use my eyeballs!" analysis in general
    Last edited by Bobbob1313; 08-26-2014, 09:29 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    poop

Comment

I still come away from that article not having a ton of faith in those metrics. The author is basically defending those metrics by trying to prove he is not an elite shortstop. The problem is, those numbers say he's a bad shortstop. There is a big discrepancy between elite and bad.

This I think proves the point the best (and I actually agree with the statement):
      I think two statements could be true:

Adeiny Hechavarria has elite-level talent
      Adeiny Hechavarria has yet to put together an elite-level performance
      I will also always take the word of Perry Hill. He might be trying to pump up his own player a bit, but that guy is as much of a fielding expert as it gets.

Comment

I also think it is important to note he is 25. He's close to his ceiling realistically and if there isn't radical improvement next year, I'm not sure anyone can make an "elite level talent" argument.

The positioning can't be that bad

Comment

Working...
        X