This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
    Where else can it spend money? It's not like there are a bunch of great position players available. Don't you want them to spend more money to construct a better team? Because if they didn't I know someone would complain about that too.
    Save the money. If they're on as tight a budget as they say, save the money for when you need to make an inevitable midseason pickup. Getting an extra 50 innings out of Rafael Soriano instead of Andre Rienzo and Sam Dyson isn't moving the bottom line for this team, and if it potentially limits their ability to make a real upgrade later (better SP, C or MI via trade, let's say), that would be a huge issue.

It's about opportunity cost. This team already has too many good relievers for how many spots are available. It's a mismanagement of their resources, just like trading for Aaron Crow in the first place.
    poop

Comment

• I actually believe TJFla when he says the Marlins think Soriano and Rodriguez can replace Cishek. Only one number on this actually matters to the team, and that's been apparent this off season.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...6483,1642,1100
      --------------------
      I should say only two numbers.
      Last edited by marlinsfan24; 03-03-2015, 12:35 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Bobbob is right when he says the organization is spending too much on the bullpen. But if they are set on an experienced closer, signing someone to replace Cishek and trading Cishek makes a lot of sense. The thing is a Cishek trade that improves the club shouldn't hinge on the signing of a replacement. If the deal arises you have to pull the trigger because saves are an extremely overrated commodity.

Comment

• McKirahan, 25, is an intriguing young arm. Although the Marlins are only projected to take one left-handed arm with them in the bullpen in Mike Dunn, McKirahan could warrant a spot if he keeps pitching like he did Tuesday. He threw 12 pitches, 10 for strikes and was just flat out nasty.

"You know looking at this division, quite honestly, if you can have it [a second lefty] it's a luxury that helps put everyone else in slots in your bullpen," general manager Dan Jennings said. "It's something we're looking seriously at. This kid, it's a great story to see a kid get an opportunity around in a new place, new eyes. Pretty damn good first impression too."

Jennings said McKirahan "has a tick above average plus fastball with a plus slider" and is "very competitive kid on the mound."

McKirahan has to make the big league club once camp ends or he has to be put on waivers where another team can pick him up. If they don't, the Marlins then have to send him back to the Cubs or work out a trade with Chicago, Jennings said.

"We'll give this kid every opportunity to earn our rights to stay," Jennings said. "With [Pat] Misch and Narveson and our own guys in [Adam] Conley and [Grant] Dayton... Brad Hand... I think our answers [to finding another lefty arm] are here in camp. We've said that the whole time. It should be fun to see how that plays out."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#storylink=cpy
          A fluff piece, but I guess they really aren't that committed at forcing a second lefty on the team, versus keeping Capps/Dyson up. Saying that, Hand had a 1.14 whip in 71 innings post and had a .594 OPS against lefty batters overall last year. This isn't a very hard decision with Capps and Dyson having options.

Comment

• Jonah Keri is pretty high on the Marlins: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...gers-mariners/

Comment

• They also still wanna try to get Phil Coke on a minor league deal

Brad Hand is pretty much done with the team tho,they have been shopping him around all winter. Want a arm with options in return but may have to lower the price

Nice to see the FO finally mentioning Conley as a RP

Also I actually like Cishek alot but the fact is he will be 29 and they won't give him a 5 yr deal

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                They also still wanna try to get Phil Coke on a minor league deal

Brad Hand is pretty much done with the team tho,they have been shopping him around all winter. Want a arm with options in return but may have to lower the price

Nice to see the FO finally mentioning Conley as a RP

Also I actually like Cishek alot but the fact is he will be 29 and they won't give him a 5 yr deal
                Giving a 29-year old a 5-year deal makes more sense than giving a 33-year old a 2-year deal IMO.

Comment

• No team should ever give a closer a 5 year deal IMO

If I ran a ballclub I'd never have a reliever making more than 6 figures
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Saves are literally the most overrated stat in all of baseball.

Comment

• With spring underway the offseason is officially closed. Please either create new posts or use the Spring Training discussion thread.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                      X