This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014-2015 Marlins Offseason Rumors

Marlins Not Trading Stanton, Will Pursue Top-Of-Rotation Starters In Offseason
    By Steve Adams [August 13, 2014 at 9:23pm CDT]
    Reports have surfaced that the Marlins plan to make legitimate run at extending Giancarlo Stanton this offseason, and MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro hears the same, shedding more light on the situation. According to his sources, the Marlins are serious about not only building around Stanton, but supplementing him by adding a top-flight starter this winter. Frisaro says the 2015 payroll could jump to $75MM, which, while modest relative to the rest of the league, would be about $30MM higher than the team’s Opening Day payroll from the current season. He suggests that the team could make a run at James Shields on the open market, who would front the rotation while Jose Fernandez rehabs from Tommy John surgery.

Suffice it to say, Frisaro gets the impression that the Marlins won’t be trading Stanton under any circumstances this offseason. In fact, he hears that even in the event that Stanton doesn’t sign an extension, the team is comfortable going year-to-year and keeping him as long as possible, then watching him leave in free agency. Miami feels that it has built a team that can be a serious postseason contender in 2015 and 2016 — Stanton’s final two years of arbitration eligibility.

As it stands right now, the Marlins could slot a free agent starter atop their rotation and fill in the remaining four spots with Henderson Alvarez, Nathan Eovaldi, Jarred Cosart and Tom Koehler. Fernandez projects to return around the All-Star break next year, if not sooner, and the team also has one of the top pitching prospects in all of baseball — Andrew Heaney — looming in the minor leagues. With rising young talent such as Christian Yelich and Marcell Ozuna on board, that would seem to be enough to give them a chance to contend in 2015.

Frisaro adds that in the hypothetical event that the Marlins ever do decide to move Stanton, it won’t be solely for a package of prospects. The Marlins would require Major League talent from another club’s roster in addition to top prospects in order to part with their elite slugger. As Frisaro writes: “You’re not going to see a repeat of the Miguel Cabrera trade. It’s not going to be Stanton for six prospects.”

Would rather they make a run at a 1B, 2B, and SS.
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

$75m payroll would be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
        I'm pretty okay with figuring out 2 of four of Casey, Kike, Dietrich, and Valdespin working out for 2b/3b. I don't know if anybody besides something like Hanley or Pablo are worth the cost of upgrading, and you're really adding payroll by signing one of them.

But then again, there's really nothing out in the FA market of being an upgrade over 1B outside of something like signing Nelson Cruz and moving Yelich/Stanton to first.
        --------------------
        Chisek HAS to turn into a good position player.
        Last edited by nny; 08-14-2014, 06:41 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Justin Bour should be our 1B.

:-D

Anyway, Jones is under contract next season, I'd be very surprised if they replaced him.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
            Assuming this report is accurate, they could trade one (or both) of Eovaldi and Koehler instantly and have a rotation of FA, Alvarez, Cosart, Heaney, Hand/Flynn/Vagabond until Fernandez is back, with Nicolino/Williams/etc looming and Kolrek longterm. Let alone if they only trade one.

Cishek is one young infielder
            Eovaldi/Koehler is another

Cishek and Eovaldi clears $10 million off 2015 salary, which across the board obviously helps if payroll goes up big.

I would venture to say the FA SP market wildly trumps the hitters making this a smarter longterm startegy.

Thinking of the the rest of the team, let's overestimate Staton at $15 next year which could happen, salty $8, Garret $5, let's say McGehee and Alvarez each $4, Hech makes $2, baker $2, veteran bench guy $1, another veteran bench guy $1, and say they keep Dunn $2.5. (43.5)

Club controlled Yelich, Ozuna, young 2B acquired, other young infielder acquired , Realmuto , Koehler, Heaney, Cosart, and let's say 6 club controlled relievers. (8)

That's a 24 man roster without 1 SP and costs around $50 million. If they keep Cishek and Eovaldi too, that's going to be $60 million, which adding one legitimate 2/3 SP gets it to $75 really quick. Without Cishek and Eovaldi, that's also adding a veteran infielder and/or a more expensive front line SP.

Contender? Guess it depends on what young infielders they can acquire and if they spend on a veteran somewhere . Pitching could be ludicrous next August if Heaney and Cosart hit their projections and Fernandez healthy

Comment

Mathis's $1.5 option is going to get picked up for sure, not sure if you had that in there.

How much would packaging Jones salary with Cishek hurt the return? Easy way to free up $5m when we have at least as good of an option sitting in AAA right now.

Comment

I don't think another million changes anything, but yea throw him in. Also over estimating Stanton so it's real safe to say $50 million for current team sans Cishek and Eovaldi. $60 with them both.

No idea if they can dump Jones but he has to hurt whatever return is back if tied to Cishek. Not sure his money really changes anything either. They will get young infielders for Cishek and Eovaldi which is the logical move to make, and coupled with Kike, Dietrich. valdespin, and I guess Hech, that should fill out the infield. That's $25 left to spend to $75, and if a SP eats up $15-18 of that, that's still room for a decent veteran infield option and a veteran RP. And they really don't have much more room than that with the projected roster..

Lots iof options at $75 million basically. Not sure moving Jones that important. Would be more important at $60 million payroll.

Comment

Yeah, I just don't want him here because Bour should be the 1B, dammit. .355/.432/.626 vs. RHP. I'm just gonna keep typing that line until my head explodes.

I really don't think they will deal Eovaldi though. If one of their starters goes down, we're in some serious shit until Jose comes back and the last thing we need is to be pressing him back. Having a rotation of FA, Alvarez, Eovaldi, Cosart, Heaney and figure it out when Jose gets back seems like the way they'll go.
                  Last edited by HUGG; 08-15-2014, 08:02 AM.

Comment

what hugg said

also, we're assuming a front line starter would be willing to sign here despite our track record. i doubt we'll see it happen.
                    Originally posted by Madman81
                    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

If we have the best offer...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBwAxmrE194[/ame]

Comment

Cishek and Dunn are pretty much gone next year. I know the idea has already been shot down by the GM's on the board but what about Eovaldi as the closer replacing Cishek?

Teams like Jones as a power LH Bat the issue is his contract. He would be a platoon on most teams but maybe Boston would take him with Cishek?
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                        what hugg said

also, we're assuming a front line starter would be willing to sign here despite our track record. i doubt we'll see it happen.
                        Track Records aren't considered when u are throwing tons of cash at someone
                        Last edited by tjfla; 08-15-2014, 12:59 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

If they want to compete next year, Eovaldi should not be closing. Not saying he couldn't, but that would really weaken the rotation. I know they have a lot of pitching, but that would leave a huge hole in the rotation to rely on Flynn/Heaney/Desco/Koehler ect.
                          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Also not alot of spots in the pen

Ramos
                            Morris
                            Hatcher
                            Dyson
                            Capps
                            Olmos/Dayton
                            Jennings

Comment

Caminero has been horrible in New Orleans. I wouldn't be surprised if they let him go this off-season.

Gotta think that Dayton, Hatcher and Dyson could all be gone this off-season as well. I know the latter two have been good this year, but I don't think they will repeat.
                              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                              X