• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obliqueman!
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
      The vine doesn't show it but Mathis was lined up behind the plate until the ball was thrown and then he had to move to get the ball (a move allowed under the current rule).
      I saw that. Mathis certainly didnt want to block the plate.

Where does the rule say what you say it does (all I really know is the portion of the rule you posted earlier)?

Comment

I guess just blame Scott Cousins
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
          Bones getting in on the action.
          Mike Rabelo was ahead of his time.

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
            I guess just blame Scott Cousins
            That's what I was thinking

Comment

KousinsKarma

Comment

Make all plays where a runner is within X amount of feet of the plate when the catcher gets the ball a force out and move on.

You can put a chalk line down to indicate the barrier or something.

(and yes, this is dumb, but so is the current rule)

Comment

We also would of picked a game up in the division with Atl and Wash losing. We miss the playoffs by one game? That would be some shit

Comment

The rule clearly says "if, IN THE JUDGMENT OF THE UMPIRE..." If the umpire didn't make the call in real time, how can it be reviewed? The rule plainly states that its the Umpire's discretion.
                    STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

It amazes me how tone deaf MLB is regarding most things and unwilling to act. There is near universal disdain of the ASG determining home field in the World Series, and yet the experiment is in year 11 with no substantial increase in ratings. I feel like this rule falls into the same category. Most people hate it and no one does anything about it!

Comment

Because Bud Selig is the worst commissioner in American sports history. No problem is ever handeled well
                        STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

No matter how many times I watched this play, it still looks to me like Mathis even tried a little to bring his leg in last second. As in, the ball took him in the line, he realized it, and moved slightly to try to get out of the way.

It's absolutely fucking awful.

In all likelihood we'll miss the playoffs by 10 games and not one game, but it sure does sting.
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

You've just gotta give the catcher the best opportunity to catch the ball. If this interpretation from last night is the true interpretation of the rule than catcher's no longer necessarily have that opportunity any more.

I'm still fucking pissed about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                              I saw that. Mathis certainly didnt want to block the plate.

Where does the rule say what you say it does (all I really know is the portion of the rule you posted earlier)?
                              Looking again, it doesn't specifically say it but my understanding is that the catcher has the right to move to where the ball is leading him in order to catch it. I would assume that falls under the "process of making the catch". I guess we'll find out when MLB releases their statement on the play.

Comment

they'll just say it was the right call, I'm pretty confident that's all we'll get

Comment

Working...
                                X