Fish to Watch Rusney Castillo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish to Watch Rusney Castillo

There's buzz around the game regarding a new Cuban prospect. Scouts from around MLB are flocking to Miami to watch free agent outfielder Rusney Castillo, who has been said to be like "Brett Gardner with power."

Castillo is said to be multi-talented, but his stock is likely up due to his birthplace because Jose Abreu, Yasiel Puig, Yoenis Cespedes and most recently Odrisamer Despaigne, all Cubans, have outstripped mostly high expectations.

A vast majority of MLB teams are expected to have a scout or executive at the University of Miami for Castillo's workout Saturday. One advantage here is that the U.S. workout will limit surprises, as teams will see firsthand the type of talent he has in a workout scheduled by his representative CAA.

The Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Rangers, Astros, Cubs, Braves, Giants, White Sox, Orioles and Marlins are just a small sampling of teams expected to be on hand, with Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, Juan Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel and Bob Dutton of the Tacoma New-Tribune reporting on many of the teams (with Boston, Texas and Houston added).

Castillo, 27, is said to have big-time speed (like Gardner) but a little more pop. Sanchez used Kenny Lofton and Jacoby Ellsbury comparisons. In any case, there is a fair amount of excitement over the showcase.
    Jon Heyman

"who has been said to be like 'Brett Gardner with power.'"

I dislike these kind of scouting reports.

Comment

Another outfielder for when we trade Stanton....and then eventually Ozuna and Yelich.

Comment

Some video. Not a bad swing.

http://atmlb.com/1u7Jcsx

Comment

Different Guy,Same Crap

We will make an offer that isn't even close. Loria can't figure these Cuban guys out,he thinks they want to be in Miami and he can offer less. He needs to learn they only care about who offers the most cash

Update tho on his workout

He will also be working out at SS

Comment

They made a decent size offer for Abreu and felt Cespedes needed time in the minors. I don't believe that has a lot to do with Loria and his cheapness.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
              They made a decent size offer for Abreu and felt Cespedes needed time in the minors. I don't believe that has a lot to do with Loria and his cheapness.
              Ya they made decent offers to both but when the "agent" is throwing out offers 10 million more it is cheap. Loria thinks if he makes a decent offer that guys will say I will take less to play in Miami and they won't.

Cespedes we were the only team mentioned and everyone thought he was already here-Loria made the offer his "agent" took it to other teams and the A's beat it by only a few million. Cespedes agent then took it back to us and we said NO that is our offer

Bello/Despaigne are other guys we liked but offers werent even close. Bello got 400k I think we offered like 75k

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                Ya they made decent offers to both but when the "agent" is throwing out offers 10 million more it is cheap. Loria thinks if he makes a decent offer that guys will say I will take less to play in Miami and they won't.

Cespedes we were the only team mentioned and everyone thought he was already here-Loria made the offer his "agent" took it to other teams and the A's beat it by only a few million. Cespedes agent then took it back to us and we said NO that is our offer

Bello/Despaigne are other guys we liked but offers werent even close. Bello got 400k I think we offered like 75k
                So we're supposed to get a bidding war regardless of the Cuban just to say we won?

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post

Based on the second paragraph, the thing from the first paragraph isn't what happened

Comment

In fairness, I am warming to the idea that Cuban professionals are the type of players the Marlins should be going after as free agents. Not necessarily because they are Cubans and the Marlins need to appeal to the crowd, but because it seems like they've become something of a market inefficiency. Not many of the contracts given to former Cuban pros have turned out terribly.
                    poop

Comment

Working...
                    X