2015 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Bingo-u take a a college arm that could move fast OR 5 Tool guy that early. If they took Whitley or Clark I could live with it
    That 5-tool guy better be a college bat. Seriously take a college anything but reliever with a first round pick.

Comment

Yeah, why would you take guys like Stanton, Jose Fernandez or Christian Yelich when you can get a college player? And don't use the argument that Stanton was taken in the 2nd round, because would he have been a bad pick if he were taken in the 1st?

The draft is not about getting someone who will get to the bigs the fastest. You should take the player who will be the best player long term.

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
        Yeah, why would you take guys like Stanton, Jose Fernandez or Christian Yelich when you can get a college player? And don't use the argument that Stanton was taken in the 2nd round, because would he have been a bad pick if he were taken in the 1st?

The draft is not about getting someone who will get to the bigs the fastest. You should take the player who will be the best player long term.
        Because you're ability to project contribution is less of a crapshoot. For every Jose and Yelich, you have 10 Chad James and Kyle Skipworth.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
          Because you're ability to project contribution is less of a crapshoot. For every Jose and Yelich, you have 10 Chad James and Kyle Skipworth.
          It's always a crapshoot. That's the point. But I'd rather swing for the fences if I'm taking that kind of risk taking a guy with the tools to be very good to great.

And while there may be 10 Chad James and Kyle Skipworth's to every Fernandez and Yelich, you have to go all the way back to Mark Kotsay to find a college player they drafted that panned out. Or back to Charles Johnson (their very first pick ever) to find one that was better than average in the majors.

Comment

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
            It's always a crapshoot. That's the point. But I'd rather swing for the fences if I'm taking that kind of risk taking a guy with the tools to be very good to great.

And while there may be 10 Chad James and Kyle Skipworth's to every Fernandez and Yelich, you have to go all the way back to Mark Kotsay to find a college player they drafted that panned out. Or back to Charles Johnson (their very first pick ever) to find one that was better than average in the majors.
            You're looking at a very biased sample when you just look at just Marlins draft picks because they tend to go after HS talent. And it's a lot easier to predict the contribution of a 20-21 year old than a 17-18 year old.

Comment

Is there ever going to be a time when the Marlins aren't "looking to save money"?
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
                Is there ever going to be a time when the Marlins aren't "looking to save money"?
                The way the draft is now requires you to save money to have a deep draft rather than sign a few high rated guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                  The way the draft is now requires you to save money to have a deep draft rather than sign a few high rated guys.
                  Ya but no reason to save cash if u won't take talent. They save cash by taking Naylor but instead of taking a Matuella or another arm,they get Brett Lilek who should cost less than slot as well.

If u want to see how a draft should be run call up the Astros GM.

Comment

They took a whole bunch of over slot guys who were never gonna sign and then signed them all last year.

They spent $12.4m on the draft last year. $3m more than any other team. And yeah, they had $3m more bonus pool than anyone else, but they spent it.

If they don't take talent in the next few rounds, then we have a problem. But, its too soon to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      If u want to see how a draft should be run call up the Astros GM.
                      I'll get right on that. He's number 5 on my speed dial.

Comment

I laughed when MLBNetwork accidently showed the Giants pick before they announced it. (Andrew Suarez.) I actually wanted the Marlins to take him.
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Remember when mk7 got all pissed when we took Jose?

He came around pretty fast, but still hilarious.

Comment

Hugg, can you find the post from MK?
                            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

http://soflamarlins.com/showthread.p...-Fernandez-RHP

Comment

Normal Marlins draft so far. Look today for Catcher/Athlete OF who can't hit(3rd Rd)/Cali HS Infielder/TX or OK pitcher in picks. It looks like they should have some cash to use however. The question is do they use it or not?
                                Last edited by tjfla; 06-09-2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X