No announcement yet.

2015 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of the mock drafts have Miami taking a prep outfielder.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
      Most of the mock drafts have Miami taking a prep outfielder.
      Wouldn't be surprised if this happens but will be annoyed for a few days about it.

Comment

OFs Garrett Whitley, Kyle Tucker and Trenton Clark are the names I've seen for Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
          OFs Garrett Whitley, Kyle Tucker and Trenton Clark are the names I've seen for Miami.
          All prep/high school names?

Comment

Those three, yes. They have also been linked to a prep pitcher or two. Really wish they'd go the college rout though.

Comment

They won't go the college route for a while now and always point to Heaney and Moran not panning out for them.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                They won't go the college route for a while now and always point to Heaney and Moran not panning out for them.
                Yeah the high school 1st round picks always work out or take too many years to fail so they don't remember them. Those two are both far from failed prospects at this point. Moran is struggling so far this year but the two have been as advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                  Yeah the high school 1st round picks always work out or take too many years to fail so they don't remember them. Those two are both far from failed prospects at this point. Moran is struggling so far this year but the two have been as advertised.
                  I still believed in Moran when he was traded, but at this point I am not sure about him anymore. Heaney on the other hand is dominating Triple-A with a 2.85 FIP, wish we still had him. He'd come in handy with this rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                    I still believed in Moran when he was traded, but at this point I am not sure about him anymore. Heaney on the other hand is dominating Triple-A with a 2.85 FIP, wish we still had him. He'd come in handy with this rotation.
                    Moran's k rate went up after the trade last year but the rest of his line was slightly better and it was at a higher level of competition (his BABIP did go up .030 too so he may have been lucky). I'm not going to write him off as a prospect based on his first 20 games this year though. I think a few years down the road we may realize we got screwed over in the trade but given the need for a starting pitcher and a 2nd baseman at the time of the trade (and now for the SP), the trade made sense. Also, Austin Wates looked like a decent bat on the surface who was getting better at drawing walks but then again he always had a high BABIP (.345+). Since arriving he forgot what he learned about drawing walks and his BABIP has been .030+ points lower and his line looks awful. I'm fine with the trade because it made some sense (left no 3B of the future).

Heaney shouldn't have been traded since they didn't go out and make a real attempt to sign Shields (Matching another teams offer doesn't count with this FO and Loria; they need to overpay). I get that they wanted Dee badly but that trade hurts. Hatcher looks like a stud reliever right now. Heaney looks like a much better callup option than the starting pitching options in the upper minors. Barnes plays 2B and C and is OPSing .787 in AAA while being slightly unlucky.

The FO has no idea what they're doing when building a roster and that's what I really want to surface with Jennings managing the team. Yeah, he has no idea how to manage a team but he's the one who acquired all these players and should have an idea of what situations they should be used in.

Comment

Who knows now what we will take especially with DJ managing instead of scouting but just thought would say according to latest BA mock we won't be in play for Tyler Jay anyways. They have him going #1 Overall!!

The way the draft is nowadays is get guys who will sign for slot or below slot

- - - - - - - - - -

They have us taking Trenton Clark but it could be Clark,Nikorak,Whitley? I know the guy they really like is Tucker but doubtful he gets by Houston

Comment

Draft next week and looks like we are down to about 10 guys. If Kyle Tucker is there and his price isn't crazy then he is the pick. But probably comes down to money. They want guys who will take slot or even less

Trenton Clark,Garrett Whitley-HS Bats
                        Walker Buehler,Jon Harris,James Kaprielian-College Arms
                        Kolby Allard,Mike Nikorak-HS Arms

These are guys I have heard tied to us. It doesn't help that the guy who actually knows how to scout/evalute guys can't.

A name to watch is Brady Aiken. They loved him last year and if he would be willing to take slot he could be a wildcard

Comment

I would love them to take Aiken. When should he be ready to play again, beginning of 2016?
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Stan Meek literally just said "we've got a lot of work ahead of us, we just started the last few days"
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I've seen Trenton Clark projected to us quite a bit. Don't know much about this draft so I'm not sure what to say about it.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                Stan Meek literally just said "we've got a lot of work ahead of us, we just started the last few days"
                                That is what happens when the guy that runs the room is now in the dugout. DJ is at his best in drafting/scouting. Like said in above post they have narrowed it down to about 10 guys thet think will be there BUT will come down to the money more than likely. The Aiken talk is a little surprising but if his advisor says we will take slot then he could be the pick and probably would start in Extended ST and start throwing June 2016 in GCL.

Comment

Working...
                                X