No announcement yet.

2015 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't extended ST end shortly after the draft?
    Also, I doubt DJ scouts a lot of the talent on his own so this shouldn't be that hard for someone else in the FO to take control and read the reports from regional scouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
      Doesn't extended ST end shortly after the draft?
      Also, I doubt DJ scouts a lot of the talent on his own so this shouldn't be that hard for someone else in the FO to take control and read the reports from regional scouts.
      Ya Extended ST ends when the GCL starts which means that whoever takes him would probably get him on a throwing program in Extended ST(15 pitches or whatever)then as soon as the GCL starts next year he would throw some there.

He actually does-scouts the top guys himself. Of course Stan Meek and Mike Hill can read the reports and take 1 or 2 guys for OK(Meek loves them-watch for Michael Freeman for OK St. Big lefty) but DJ has a pretty good eye and is probably one of the best in the game.

- - - - - - - - - -

John Sickels did a Mock-Here is who he drafted for us

MIAMI MARLINS
      1-12) Daz Cameron, OF, Georgia HS
      2-50) Scott Kingery, 2B, Arizona
      3-85) Wesley Rodriguez, RHP, New York HS
      4-116) John Cresto, SS, California HS

COMMENT: The Marlins would have to be happy having Cameron here considering he was a top five candidate three months ago. It isn’t like he’s had a bad spring and clearly looks like a victim of prospect fatigue to me. Kingery is an advanced college bat, then they switch back to the prep ranks with hard-throwing cold-weather arm Rodriguez and Cresto, who features multiple offensive and defensive tools but could be expensive to buy away from Santa Clara. He does seem like a Marlins type player though.
      Last edited by tjfla; 06-03-2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        Ya Extended ST ends when the GCL starts which means that whoever takes him would probably get him on a throwing program in Extended ST(15 pitches or whatever)then as soon as the GCL starts next year he would throw some there.

He actually does-scouts the top guys himself. Of course Stan Meek and Mike Hill can read the reports and take 1 or 2 guys for OK(Meek loves them-watch for Michael Freeman for OK St. Big lefty) but DJ has a pretty good eye and is probably one of the best in the game.
        For some reason I thought you meant this season and his TJ was earlier than the end of march this year. I don't know enough about him but you could easily be aggressive with him and throw him in A ball in May.

Comment

Doubtful Cameron is our pick since his asking price has said to be 5 Million

- - - - - - - - - -

For some reason I thought you meant this season and his TJ was earlier than the end of march this year. I don't know enough about him but you could easily be aggressive with him and throw him in A ball in May.
          Nah he wont even throw likely to Jan 2016. He could but teams especially us are pretty safe with TJ guys.
          Last edited by tjfla; 06-03-2015, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            Nah he wont even throw likely to Jan 2016. He could but teams especially us are pretty cautious with TJ guys.
            Yeahbut if we're talking about a guy from the majors that had TJ when he did his return to the majors would be May. It's aggressive because he has no rookie or low-A experience not because of his rehab timeline.

- - - - - - - - - -

Kingery would be cool. You have him listed as a 2nd baseman which is where he was supposed to play this year but he was an outfielder (center mostly) his first two years in college.

Comment

Draft is here and surprise surprise we are looking to "save cash". Rumors are we are looking at a College SP like Walker Buehler or Kaprielian. According to Jonathan Mayo tho we really like Josh Naylor who probably won't be around at #50 so we might be looking to make a deal save some cash and draft him in the 1st Rd and then spend more in the 2nd or 3rd Rd.

The trade that keeps on giving(Cosart deal)-if Daz Cameron gets by #6 then Houston looks like they make take him with the pick we traded to them. If we still have that pick we could have taken Naylor at #37

If u don't know who Naylor is,he is a Canadian HS 1B L/L who is 6'1 225 and very very raw. Best Power Bat in HS/possible the whole draft but that is only great tool

Comment

That would be a wasteful pick but not surprising

Comment

MLB.com has the same tidbit on their draft buzz page:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/129115...mlb-draft-buzz

• The Marlins might prefer a college pitcher at No. 12, but some in their Draft room really like Canadian slugger Josh Naylor.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                    MLB.com has the same tidbit on their draft buzz page:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/129115...mlb-draft-buzz

• The Marlins might prefer a college pitcher at No. 12, but some in their Draft room really like Canadian slugger Josh Naylor.
                    Ya that is why I mentioned it. People keep saying Clark,Whitley,Buehler,Kaprielian and then a college bat. Naylor could get to #50 but very doubtful.

Comment

Dont really care. Only way i get excited is if fulmer somehow drops. But if Naylor has that much raw power that's cool. It's luck anyways.
                      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Raw power can't be taught, I'd be a huge fan of drafting the best power bat especially in the deadball era we're in now

Saving cash isn't really a thing if they invest it elsewhere. I still love what we did with the draft last year. As much as not taking Rodon hurt, taking so much talent later and the draft and getting ALL OF IT signed was really impressive and I think it will pay huge dividends in 2-3 years.
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

From Jim Callis on MLB.com:

Naylor has helium

Canadian high school first baseman Josh Naylor has a lot of helium right now. He might have the best power in the Draft, and there are plenty of rumors he could vault into the top 12 picks, most likely to the Red Sox at No. 7, the Cubs at 9 or the Marlins at 12 (Jonathan Mayo noted Miami below). It looks more and more certain that he goes in the first round, and multi-pick teams that want him might have to use their first choice rather than their second.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                            Raw power can't be taught, I'd be a huge fan of drafting the best power bat especially in the deadball era we're in now

Saving cash isn't really a thing if they invest it elsewhere. I still love what we did with the draft last year. As much as not taking Rodon hurt, taking so much talent later and the draft and getting ALL OF IT signed was really impressive and I think it will pay huge dividends in 2-3 years.
                            We passed on Rodon because some in the FO(DJ) thought he was more of a RP and he wanted more than slot. They drafted Kolek who took less cash and used it in other spots. Houston has shown the rest of the league the past few years exactly how the draft works now. Make deals with guys and then use that cash in other spots-they are gonna do the same in this draft.

I agree with the raw power but I think they should take the BPA in RD 1-Whitley,Clark,Buehler then go for the guy with the MOST power in the draft in Rd 2. Chris Shaw from BC. Shaw is 6'3 250lbs can play 1B/RF. He broke his hamate bone which is why he dropped but this guy has even more power than Naylor and should be there at #50

Comment

There is nothing wrong with raw power but they should be able to get a college starting pitcher with a decent floor that would be able to produce much faster than a HS with only the power tool with the first pick.

Comment

Whoever we draft,one thing is clear this system needs talent especially bats who can hit. Not projected to 5 years from now or anything.

Take guys who have shown they can hit not Marquise Cooper,Tom Hickman or guys like that. While Stanton was a steal,they seem to wanna try to hit it big instead of drafting solid guys who could help this team

- - - - - - - - - -

There is nothing wrong with raw power but they should be able to get a college starting pitcher with a decent floor that would be able to produce much faster than a HS with only the power tool with the first pick.
                                Bingo-u take a a college arm that could move fast OR 5 Tool guy that early. If they took Whitley or Clark I could live with it

Comment

Working...
                                X