No announcement yet.

Michael Hill Interview with Jim Bowden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Marlins had better not give up any value for a rental player. I'm fine with spending to get someone who will be here long term, but a Carlos Lee-type deal would be moronic right now.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
      Don't they need to keep Alvarez and Eovaldi at this point. I think yes
      I first read that as "they don't need to..." and was like "what?"

You could make the argument against Eolvadi's past few months (4.36 ERA since May) and still lack of strike outs. But if his control continues to be this good, results should start looking like April again.

I think any P not named Alvarez, Eolvadi, Fernandez, and Heaney should be fair game, but those 4 need to stay. That's not going to get you a top prospect, but hopefully it can help us find some kind of IF help.

Comment

I wonder if there is any chance the Marlins could get Arismendy Alcantara from Chicago. They have an abundance of infielders and I think he could be the Marlins second baseman of the future. I wonder if Urena/Conley and Marisnick would be even close. Or Brantly, Marisnick/Dietrich and Conley/Urena for Alcantara and Boni?
        Last edited by Miamarlin21; 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

They have a ton of infielders, as well as talent. I think you'd have to at least give up Desco/Brantly, no? Hell, I don't even know if Brantly has any value. I don't think Marisnick has a future with us, and I doubt he will ever live up to his potential.

By the way, not sure anyone has noticed but the fish have been platooning Jones/Baker at 1B for what seems like the last couple of weeks.
          Last edited by Big Z; 07-08-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

@clarkspencer: After successful outing Tuesday for Jupiter, Brad Penny is set to make his next start on Sunday for Triple A New Orleans #Marlins
            Twitter

Great news!... Not.

Comment

Ohhhhh Big Z hit em with the Not bomb!

Comment

Anyway, what's the worst case scenario of giving Penny a shot? He pitches as poorly as all the other ones we've tried to put in the rotation?

Comment

It's a waste. No reason it shouldn't be a young guy.

Comment

But they all keep getting shelled.

I'd rather let Penny get smacked around than a young guy.

Comment

Depends on the guy. I'd rather let guys like Disco, Flynn, and Turner sink or swim than literally no upside asshole Penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                        Depends on the guy. I'd rather let guys like Disco, Flynn, and Turner sink or swim than literally no upside asshole Penny.
                        Same, especially with Turner and Hand since they're out of options. Turner is actually posting good peripherals but has a .364 BABIP. See if he can keep posting a good K/BB and becomes a solid #4/#5. I really don't have hope for Hand though. But sink or swim, see if they're worth keeping for next year.

Comment

Shit I find that we have a better chance to win when Hand starts than Turner. I feel like when I watch Turner pitch it's like batting practice. At least with Hand I feel like there's some semblance of a potential major league pitcher there.

And to think we're a year removed from a 3.74 ERA season from Turner. Such a hot start followed by falling back to earth.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                            Shit I find that we have a better chance to win when Hand starts than Turner.

Comment

Hand is very inconsistent. One day he will have okay control, and the next game he will walk 6. It's frustrating because he has lots of potential, he just hasn't lived up to it. He got into some trouble yesterday due to errors, but he was able to get out of the jams. He deserves one more start.

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                                I wonder if there is any chance the Marlins could get Arismendy Alcantara from Chicago. They have an abundance of infielders and I think he could be the Marlins second baseman of the future. I wonder if Urena/Conley and Marisnick would be even close. Or Brantly, Marisnick/Dietrich and Conley/Urena for Alcantara and Boni?
                                He's also the Cubs 2B of the future.... You have to imagine Theo wants this (which is awesome awesome awesome on paper).

C - Schwarber
                                1B - Rizzo
                                2B - Alcantara
                                SS - Russel
                                3B - Baez
                                OF - Bryant
                                CF - Almora
                                OF - Soler

And there are a couple of other bats (Vogelbach, Olt, Lake, Villanueva, Candelario, Jimenez, Torress, etc.) that can fill in the holes if any of those guys blow it. I don't see the Cubs trading, signing, or drafting any significant bats (besides Castro, see below) for 3+ years while they see how this shakes out.

They need 1 thing, and 1 thing only - starting pitching.

You have to imagine if they trade an infielder, it's going to be Castro (who has 6/$44 remaining after this season) for probably a very very good SP and more. That's their trade chip. Get a SP for him, they have Straily who should be at worst a 4, maybe Arrieta is for real, maybe they get another SP out of their top arms (Edwards/Johnson), and most importantly they have the entire offense and likely bullpen club controlled besides Rizzo and Soler, i.e. they can afford to buy three superstar $150 million SP and be under what their payroll obligations have been for the last decade. Seriously that's how much payroll is around. And you know Theo will buy their guys out unlike the Marlins......

So to take it full circle, Alcantara isn't the get. Castro is. And that begs the question do you think that's worth Heaney, as that is the only SP that makes sense for the Cubs.

Comment

Working...
                                X