Astros Rejected Springer/Correa for Giancarlo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astros Rejected Springer/Correa for Giancarlo

The Miami Marlins seem to have been willing to trade Giancarlo Stanton for prospects Carlos Correa and George Springer. Granting that Correa is an absolute stud, that Springer has hit fabulously well since his callup earlier this year, and that they're under team control for years while Stanton is starting to get expensive, you still wonder if the Astros will end up kicking themselves over that one. Stanton has the 11th-highest isolated power in major league history for anyone with at least 1,000 at-bats, and is a Gold Glove-caliber outfielder as well; he's a generational talent, the kind you can't really overpay for. (Another way to look at this, of course, is that the embarrassing Marlins franchise was yet again willing to trade away an irreplaceable player so as to pocket some of its dole money.)

http://deadspin.com/leaked-10-months...ade-1597951970
    If there was any doubt they aren't going to resign him.

Interesting trade though, even if never ending rebuilding. Fernandez would have to be shipped out by the time Correa is really rocking.

[Luhnow] talked to [Marlins GM Dan Jennings] and said we had interest in Stanton. DJ said he doesn't think he'll trade Stanton and the only deal he could think of from us that would work would be Springer and Correa. JL said that would not work. JL posited a deal around Cosart and Deshields.

So basically, the Astros inquired about him, and Jennings said they weren't dealing him and named the most ridiculous price he could think of.

I think this is less of a story than they're presenting it as

Comment

MLB has got to remove Jeffrey Loria from ownership.
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

This seems like a non-story.

What the Astros asked from the Nationals when the Nats wanted Lucas Harrell is pretty funny though.

Comment

I am in no way saying they won't trade Stanton, but yeah, this is kind of silly.

The Astros asked about him, Jennings named a ridiculous price. This happens all off-season with any number of players. The fact it's being spun like we tried to trade him and the Astros said no is really dumb.

Comment

I agree with Hugg. Said the same thing to McLevin. They frame it as "LOL Marlins are trading Stanton" but I actually saw it as a good sign. They said no to an inquiry by a team with a top 3 farm system, then named a ridiculous price that they would need to do it. This upset me more:

"MIA said they need a 2B or 3B in exchange for Morrison. Inquired on Altuve and Dominguez. They also expressed interest in Folty, McCullers, and Carlos Perez."
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

We do this for every team that asks on Stanton. U can't just say he is untouchable,Jennings comes up with some crazy price and if a team bites they will get "We will think about it" or even Jennings says ok Correa,Springer,Cosart plus more but usually just some counter that we reject.

As for the Morrison thing,we were calling all teams about a 2B/3B for him which is why I thought it was Franklin for LoMo and ? at the time.

I would have loved to see tho how the Carlos Lee trade was pulled off!!

Our owner might be a idiot but least our FO doesn't let stuff like this happen WOW

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                I agree with Hugg. Said the same thing to McLevin. They frame it as "LOL Marlins are trading Stanton"
                I can admit shot first here and didn't read and dig through any supporting info (at work). I apologize for the sensationalism.

But still, they aren't going to keep him

Comment

Bob Nightengale ✔ @BNightengale
                  Follow
                  Dan Jennings says that the #Marlins have never discussed trading Giancarlo Stanton since he became GM
                  The date says 11/15/14 but that obviously isn't accurate.
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Pretty sure I read we inquired about Altuve.

Comment

Also

Bob NightengaleVerified account
                      ‏@BNightengale
                      #Marlins GM Dan Jennings says it's completely fabricated that they ever offered Stanton to #Astros or any other team calling it 'laughable."
                      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Well the fact is they didn't offer Stanton. 'Stros called asking for him, and given the Marlins longstanding policy of always listening to any offer, they countered by asking for the Astros future (aka the top overall prospect in baseball and the 'Stros mini version of Stanton) as well as likely other players, and like expected the Astros hung up the phone.

I still see us trading Stanton like a lot of us are already resigned to the fact, but it won't happen until the 2015 offseason. Marlins always milk players for all their worth, so there's basically no chance we trade Stanton when we still have two and a half seasons to market him. This is obviously the Cabrera situation all over again, so it would be nice to try and not make the same mistake twice.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                          This is obviously the Cabrera situation all over again, so it would be nice to try and not make the same mistake twice.
                          They already made this mistake by not offering him a deal after 2012 season.

Comment

Well yeah. I mean in now eventually trading him not to do it for trash.

Comment

They did nothing wrong. The media will always blow everything out of proportion because hey need stories like these to increase ratings and get people talking. Btw, if you get that offer you have to pull the trigger just based on the fact that it means no more Hech at SS (lol).

Comment

Working...
                              X