No announcement yet.

Round 22 | Mitchell Robinson | 3B | Clayton Heights School (BC) | WILL NOT SIGN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 22 | Mitchell Robinson | 3B | Clayton Heights School (BC) | WILL NOT SIGN

Discuss

BA #381, also a catcher

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vybFxEmsDqE[/ame]

Comment

https://twitter.com/mitchrobinson44

Commited to FIU

Comment

.321/.410/.434 53ab 17h 4doub 1trip 0hr 6bb 4k in the British Columbia Premier League, which he's currently playing in

Comment

Mitchell Robinson has said ‘no’ to the Miami Marlins for now, and maybe forever.

The Langley Blaze catcher-third baseman was taken in the 22nd round Saturday of the major league baseball draft after earlier telling the Marlins, who planned to take him in the seventh round, that he wasn’t going to sign with them.

Robinson, 18, now says he intends to accept his scholarship to play NCAA baseball with Florida International University.

“I thought it would still be best for me to go to school for a variety of reasons and just the gut feeling that I really value the education part of it,” he explained Monday. “I know the day-in, day-out grind that is the minors and I thought it would be good for me to go to school, get stronger, develop more and, hopefully, give the draft another try three years down the road.”

Robinson, who is about to graduate from Clayton Heights Secondary in Cloverdale, admitted there was a small chance he could still sign with the Marlins if the money improves. Had he been taken in the seventh round, he was entitled to $205,700 in ‘slot money’ as a signing bonus. The Marlins hold Robinson’s rights until mid-July.

“I would have been the second pick in the seventh round and I can say the money offered by the Marlins was above slot value,” Robinson said. “I think I have a general figure that I might sign for and I still have a while to decide obviously. They might have some extra money left over if some of the other guys they drafted don’t sign and then be able to make a better offer, although that situation is a little bit more rare.

“They told me they’re just going to see how it plays out with the rest of their draft picks, see how my summer goes, see if I’m still interested-that-kind-of-thing and that they’ll be in touch a little while later.”

Robinson was the first player from B.C. taken in the draft. All told, there were four from B.C. and 16 Canadians selected across the country. The top pick, as expected, was outfielder Gareth Morgan of Toronto, who went in the second round, 74th overall, to the Seattle Mariners.

The remaining B.C. players chosen were: lefthanded pitcher Kurtis Horne, from Sooke and the Blaze, 31st round by the New York Mets; righthanded pitcher Cody Chartrand, from Nanaimo and Lewis-Clark State College, 36th round by the Texas Rangers; and shortstop Brad Antchak, from Delta and Northeastern Oklahoma A&M, 39th round by the Houston Astros. The UBC Thunderbirds program did not have a player drafted this year.

Robinson admitted he was pleased that the Marlins considered him worthy of being a seventh-round pick, a better indication of his talent level than a 22nd-round choice.

“It was definitely a huge compliment and I felt very satisfied about that,” he said. “It would have put me in the top 200 (actually 197th) so having that validation is a good feeling.”
          http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/B...#ixzz34EqV0bw1
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Nice to see us taking him in Round 22 instead of Round 7 because he wanted more than 200K. Even tho he probably won't sign,I would rather take him and "try" before the deadline then take a 24 yr old

I will say 1 thing-we should have extra cash to spend so who knows?

Comment

Working...
            X