X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unassigned: Stone Garrett, CF

Great name
    --------------------
    runs well, raw power, committed to Rice, Callis is surprised he went this high
    --------------------
    Outstanding hitter, ball flies off his barrel, also very good athlete. Stood out at PG, WWBA and Area Codes. Ran a 6.4 at PG National.

All Americans and All Regions
    2014 Perfect Game 1st Team All-American
    Texas - All Region 1st Team
    PG Underclass All Americans and All Regions
    2013 Underclass 1st Team
    2012 Underclass 1st Team
    http://www.perfectgame.org/players/p...aspx?ID=306689
    --------------------
    LOTS of videos at the above link
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-06-2014, 04:00 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/minors/...ge-ranch-hs-tx

Comment

Stone Garrett is an outfielder out of George Ranch (Sugar Land, Texas) and was recently ranked in the top 10 of the Texas/Louisiana area. The two time Area Code participant for the Texas Rangers, Garrett is headed off to Rice in the fall.

Talk about your off-season, what kind of training have you been doing to get ready for the upcoming season?
      This offseason I’ve been doing a lot of explosion and hip mobility training to improve my speed and base stealing aspect of the game. Ive been hitting with Sid Holland who is a great hitting instructor he works with some big league guys you might know like Carl Crawford, Michael Bourn, Chris Young, and Jay Bruce.

What is your team’s outlook this year?
      My team this year will be the strongest team we’ve had since I’ve been in High School, it’s not the talent that makes us strong this year, but our chemistry is at an all-time high, and to me that’s really important at this level when all the guys are pulling for each other.

You are committed to Rice. What was it about the Owls that appealed to you? Did you want to stay in state?
      Rice has a great baseball program with Coach Graham there and the assistant coaches are great as well, they really know how to develop a player into a better player then what he was the previous year, and that’s what made my decision so easy. Staying in state wasn’t a big factor for me when it came to deciding on where to go, but with Rice being 30 minutes down the road was just another plus on my decision.

What did you see as the biggest improvement to your game since the end of last season?
      My biggest improvement would have to be my bat, and I think scouts would agree, I’ve developed more power and I put better swings on the ball than I did last year, and that’s what I really work on is consistently making solid contact.

You are committed to a great school and the MLB Draft will be here quicker than you think. Do you feel that there is any added pressure going into your senior year?
      Pressure is a privilege, and I’m not worried about a thing, I’m just going to have fun. The pro scouts come to see me play for a reason and that’s to ball out and you can’t ball out when you’re putting added pressure on yourself.
      http://www.studentsports.com/basebal....HKiVfFBF.dpuf
      --------------------
      from this link:

Projected draft range

Third to fifth round

College Commitment

Rice

Will he sign?

My sense is that he will. Of course, he's also got a scholarship at a great baseball school in Rice and needs some development. So, a team won't be able to go below slot and still get him to sign.
      looks like unless we overpay we're not getting him
      --------------------
      [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kntw7XBAnE0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjMgqZk0Lsw[/ame]
      --------------------
      Stone Garrett is yet another 5 tool HS OF prospect who I think might be the best hitter in the draft. Stone is an appropriate first name because he is built like a rock. He's 6'2, 190 lbs of chiseled stone, I tell you! In physical appearance he looks a lot like Torii Hunter and that is exactly who Garrett has tried to emulate on the field. He has an arm that produces 92 MPH velocity from the OF and has run a 6.47 60 yard time.

On video he shows minimal extraneous movement with the bat and a short quick stroke to the ball that produces power at the point of contact. His cumulative batting line for the showcase circuit led all showcase prospects in BA. .365/.410/.538 with 10 BB, 13 K in 115 PA.

BLF has him ranked at #38. Matt Garrioch has him at #100. He is not listed in BA's top 50 draft prospects.

He is not real popular for scouts who are into projection because he is physically what he is going to be now. Of course, that was the rap on Arroyo too, not that Arroyo has proven that rap wrong yet.
      http://whenthegiantscometotown.blogs...e-garrett.html
      --------------------
      GREAT writeup:

Background

If your first name is Stone, there's a certain image that comes along with it that you must live up to. Fortunately, Stone Garrett more than meets the expectation as one of the most imposing physical specimens in this draft, filling out every ounce of his 6'2", 195-pound frame and looking like a future linebacker instead of a center fielder.

Garrett is one of the best pure athletes in this class, albeit an unrefined baseball player. However, he is working to change that. His father, Greg Garrett, told Mike Persinger of USABaseball.com last year that Stone "reads books about the mental aspects of the game and how to get better."

That's the kind of thing you want to hear about a young player, especially one who has a long development path ahead of him. But the draft is about finding raw tools and upside, making Garrett one of the most valuable assets in this class.

Full Scouting Report

Note: Numerical scores are on the conventional 80-point scouting scale, with the current score first and projected score second.

Hitting: 35/55

Garrett's got high potential with the bat thanks to good bat speed and direct path to the ball; very short and quick to the ball, while showing the ability to find the barrel a lot; hit tool looks better in batting practice than games at times, but there's loud contact to suggest the ability to drive the ball in time.

Power: 35/55

Powerful frame and bat speed project for easy above-average power, potentially better if the hit tool takes off; some concern about his ability to hit the ball over the fence during games due to heavy use of upper body, as he starts with a wide base with little stride and hip rotation.

Plate Discipline: 35/50

At times Garrett can get too passive-aggressive, letting opponents beat him with hittable pitches; ability to wait on the ball is a bonus, but when a pitcher is just trying to throw a get-me-over offering, it's okay to swing early in the count; knows how to read the ball out of the hand but will chase breaking balls down in the zone too often.

Speed: 65/65

As you would expect from a premium athlete, Garrett has nearly top-of-the-chart speed; should maintain that for a long time as his muscular physique is nearly done filling out.

Defense: 60/60

Garrett's speed and ability to cover ground make him a natural center fielder; arm isn't great but will be more than enough for the position; routes and reads are solid right now, though there are some lapses typical of a teenager. He will develop into a plus defender.

Arm: 55/55

Arm strength isn't a problem for Garrett, but accuracy tends to be an issue; has a long windup before release, and the ball tends to sail on him, missing the cutoff man; shorter release will improve his accuracy, possibly adding a half-grade to his overall defensive value.

MLB Player Comparison: Desmond Jennings

One reason scouts loved Desmond Jennings coming through Tampa Bay's system was his all-around game. He didn't have one elite tool but did so many things well that it seemed far-fetched for him to have an unsuccessful MLB career.

Garrett fits into that same mold. He's got a long development path ahead of him, but there's the potential to have five average-or-better tools. If he wasn't such a project, there would be a lot more buzz around him in this draft.

Projection: Above-average center fielder for first-division team

MLB ETA: 2018

Chances of Signing: 70%

If Garrett were a pitcher, where Rice coaches are known to ride their arms hard and fast, it would be in his best interest to sign a professional contract the second he gets drafted. Position players are a different animal.

The Owls have done a good job developing bats. Washington's Anthony Rendon is the standout name, so the young Texan has a serious decision to make. His raw talent suggests a top-50 player, but the lack of refinement could drop him low enough that no team makes an offer worth taking.
      http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...8th-round-pick
      Last edited by emkayseven; 06-06-2014, 04:08 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

smh keep drafting 37 YR old college seniors

Comment

I know you've been waiting to use that but you could have at least used it on a college kid

Comment

I like where I used it.
            --------------------
            Because he bitched about drafting old people already and then we drafted two crazy athletic prep players right after. Get it?
            Last edited by Mainge; 06-06-2014, 04:37 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
              I like where I used it.
              --------------------
              Because he bitched about drafting old people already and then we drafted two crazy athletic prep players right after. Get it?
              Come on u are gonna tell me u didn't think it was coming too

Comment

Nothing Announced but gotta think from his twitter he is in Jupiter and SIGNED

https://twitter.com/stonegarrett22

Comment

Top Rice baseball signee opts to turn pro
                  Posted on June 16, 2014 | By Joseph Duarte

Rice signee Stone Garrett said Monday night he plans to begin his baseball career and will not attend school.

Garrett, an outfielder from George Ranch, was an eighth-round pick by the Miami Marlins in this month’s Major League Basebal draft.

“We really are huge Rice fans,” his father, Greg Garrett, said. “It was a tough decision. He’s happy with his choice.”

The slot value for the pick is $162,400.

“We really weren’t looking at the money,” Greg Garrett said. “He was ready for the opportunity to play (professional) baseball.”
                  http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2...s-to-turn-pro/

MIAMI — The Marlins on Monday officially announced the signing of Tyler Kolek, the No. 2 overall pick in the June 5 First-Year Player Draft.

Although not officially announced, the club has either agreed or is on the verge of reaching terms with pretty much all of their top 10 round selections.

Included in the list eighth rounder, Stone Garrett, the outfielder from Texas. Garrett is a tremendous athlete with power potential. The Marlins feel they may have a real find with the 227th overall pick. He’s expected to sign for the slot value of $162,400.

Garrett is opting to join the Marlins rather than attend college at Rice.

Other top 10 round choices to agree to terms are fourth rounder, Brian Schales (shortstop), fifth rounder, Casey Soltis (outfielder), sixth rounder Chris Sadberry (left-hander), nine rounder Benjamin Wetzler (lefty) and 10th rounder, Dillon Peters (lefty).

Peters is having Tommy John surgery, and is expected to be ready to pitch sometime in 2015.

Seventh rounder, Anfernee Seymour (shortstop) has been out of town, and is expected to reach agreement when he returns.
                  http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/
                  Last edited by marlinsfan24; 06-17-2014, 01:20 PM.

Comment

This kid needs a better advisor-everyone else gets 5th Rd Cash($400,000-500,000),he signs for slot and has more hits than all the others combined

Comment

I feel like that is a strange statement to make like a week into his professional career.
                      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

That's an incredible post.
                        poop

Comment

I feel like its nothing unusual from tj

Comment

Terrence Ross won a dunk contest, you were still impressed by his dunk on Faried.
                            poop

Comment

That's a good point.

Comment

Working...
                              X