• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jupiter: Chris Sadberry, LHP

Discuss.
    --------------------
    6'0 195, college senior
    --------------------
    per jim callis: fastball in low 90s, locates well on both sides of plate, curveball, polished, not a frontline starter but could be #4/5
    --------------------
    listed at 6'2 180 on perfect game but was mentioned 6'0 195 on MLBN
    --------------------
    this is from December 2012, when he left JUCO:

Texas Tech baseball signee LHP Chris Sadberry (Grayson County College) was recently tabbed the No. 97 prospect nationally among junior college players by Perfect Game.
    Sadberry, a Holliday, Texas, native and sophomore at Grayson, was one of the signees the Tech baseball program announced as part of their recruiting class on Nov. 21.

Sadberry played his freshman season at Louisiana Tech in 2012 where he went 3-1 with a 5.71 ERA in 13 appearances (9 starts) with 34.2 innings pitched, 43 hits allowed, 22 earned runs and 28 strikeouts. He was also enrolled at La Tech in 2011 when he received a medical redshirt.

Sadberry was a 2010 graduate of Holliday High School – the same high school that produced current big leaguer and former Red Raider RHP Zach Stewart.

Sadberry was a three-time all-district selection as a prep and earned all-state honors as a junior and senior. He was also an all-state selection as a linebacker on the football field.

Coach Tim Tadlock on Sadberry:
    “Chris is a guy that has the ability to step in and pitch right away. He has been up to as high as 93 MPH on the radar gun and will usually pitch in the 87-89 range with good secondary stuff.
    http://redraiderbaseballblog.tumblr....p-juco-players
    --------------------
    Yet another Texas Tech baseball player has been named as the Big 12 Newcomer of the Week.
    Redshirt junior left-handed pitcher Chris Sadberry was selected for the honor, and is the first Tech newcomer to earn a win at the Houston College Classic since 2008.
    This comes after Tech freshman shortstop Ryan Long was named as the league’s top newcomer following a three-game series sweep over Oral Roberts.
    Sadberry, a Holliday, Texas native, helped guide the Red Raiders to their lone victory of the Houston College Classic, which was also their first victory over the Rice Owls since 1996.
    He pitched seven innings against No. 10-ranked Rice without allowing an earned run with five hits allowed and no walks with two strikeouts.
    Sadberry has also been named to the Houston College Classic All-Tournament Team.
    http://kfyo.com/texas-tech-baseball-...ckback=tsmclip
    --------------------
    some video here: http://www.everythinglubbock.com/sto...70mMwpG1ZRABIg
    Last edited by emkayseven; 06-06-2014, 02:36 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Well it was good while it lasted.

Comment

I have no problem taking a senior LHP with our 8th pick
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Sad

Comment

It's out of the realm of possibility that this guy was the next best available guy on their list? It's not as if other college seniors haven't already been drafted.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
            I have no problem taking a senior LHP with our 8th pick
            Me either if he was a guy who fell or actual prospect. This kid is born 11/8/91 and no reason he wouldn't be there in Rd 12-15. He is taken Rd 6 so they can save cash even tho they have a 12.7 million draft pool
            --------------------
            Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
            It's out of the realm of possibility that this guy was the next best available guy on their list? It's not as if other college seniors haven't already been drafted.
            BPA Senior Lefty is still on the board- Ben Wetzler who Philly took last year in the 5th
            Last edited by tjfla; 06-06-2014, 02:46 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              Me either if he was a guy who fell or actual prospect. This kid is born 11/8/91 and no reason he wouldn't be there in Rd 12-15. He is taken Rd 6 so they can save cash even tho they have a 12.7 million draft pool
              --------------------

BPA Senior Lefty is still on the board- Ben Wetzler who Philly took last year in the 5th
              Because this is an exact science or something?

The White Sox took a college senior CF with the very next pick. Is every team that picks a college senior at this point in the draft just being cheap or isn't it possible that someone in their scouting department legitimately likes the guy and doesn't think he'll last much longer?

Comment

At this point, people will bitch about anything our front office does.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                  At this point, people will bitch about anything our front office does.
                  There are legitimate things to complain about...who they are drafting with their 8th pick isn't one of them. Especially when you are just looking at a bunch of names and saying who is better based on a BA ranking list at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                    Because this is an exact science or something?

The White Sox took a college senior CF with the very next pick. Is every team that picks a college senior at this point in the draft just being cheap or isn't it possible that someone in their scouting department legitimately likes the guy and doesn't think he'll last much longer?
                    Cheap. I am not saying we are the only team that does it,it just makes no sense when u have so much cash to spend. It has been happening a few years now,most teams take college seniors or CC guys in Rd 6-10 so they can sign them cheap and can regroup/talk to guys for Day 3

All I am saying is draft talent and spend the cash

Looks like we will see how he is He will pitch the first game of the Lubbock Super Regional on Saturday.
                    Last edited by tjfla; 06-06-2014, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Junior Chris Sadberry and Hunter Redman were the first two Texas Tech baseball players chosen in this week’s pro draft — one in the sixth round, the other in the eighth.

Saturday afternoon, the duo combined to put the Red Raiders within one game of Omaha almost all by themselves.

The left-hander Sadberry continued Tech’s dominant run of pitching from the Coral Gables Regional with eight shutout innings. Redman, Tech’s stalwart catcher, made three nice defensive plays — two of them preventing runs on plays at the plate — and the Red Raiders grabbed a 1-0 victory over College of Charleston in the opener of the Lubbock Super Regional at Rip Griffin Park.

“We had some good fortune on our side on those two balls in the infield where we get the outs at home,” coach Tim Tadlock said. “And you need that a little bit this time of year. Obviously Chris did a great job, pitching ahead in the count, making pitches. He kind of did what he’s been doing and pitched well.

“That game is a funny game, it’s an unpredictable game. It’s a game of inches.”

Those few inches that went Tech’s way inched the Red Raiders (44-19) onto the precipice of history — one game away from the school’s first College World Series berth. Tech has been here before, but not since 1995 and not at home, where a Rip Griffin Park-record crowd of 4,811 came early and stayed loud.

“Unbelievable,” Redman, drafted in the eighth round by the Dodgers, said of the crowd. “It was awesome.”

So was Sadberry (5-3).

He picked up where the Tech pitching staff left off in Miami, holding the Cougars (44-18) scoreless while scattering four hits with no walks and a season-high eight strikeouts. The eight innings pitched were also a season high.

“I just spotted up my pitches, really,” said Sadberry, who was drafted in the sixth round by the Miami Marlins on Friday. “I just tried to go out there and attack the hitters. I went out there and attacked them with my fastball and let my other pitches work off of that.”

Sadberry’s ability to keep Charleston off balance was never more evident than in two key moments that defined the game, each time thwarting scoring attempts by the Cougars.

The first one came after a leadoff double by right fielder Brian Glazer in the third. A sacrifice bunt moved him to third, but Sadberry came back to get Champ Rowland to roll over on a breaking ball.

Shortstop Tim Proudfoot fielded it to his right and gunned Glazer down at the plate, then Sadberry came back with a strikeout of Blake Butler to end the inning.

“Timmy set the tone there for the day when he made that play and Hunter was able to bock the plate. That out was really big,” Sadberry said.

The Cougars failed to get a runner past first for the next four innings, but an infield single by Glazer and an error by Tech third baseman Ryan Long set up another scoring opportunity.

Again Glazer was sacrificed to third. Sadberry got Rowland to roll over on a breaking ball again, this time back to Sadberry, who flipped to Redman, and Redman hung on after the collision with Glazer to keep Charleston scoreless.

“(Sadberry) made two good pitches to (Rowland) and luckily they got in on his hands,” Redman said. “ Heck of a play by him coming in to get it and getting rid of it quick.”

In between, Tech scored the only run it would need when Tyler Neslony tripled to right past Glazer, scoring Stephen Smith, who had singled. It is the fifth straight game Tech has scored four or fewer runs, but the Red Raiders are 4-1 in those games.

“These playoff games, it seems like it gets tougher and tougher to get hits,” Neslony said. “Every time we try to get runners in scoring position, we’re just trying to get them in any way we can. We know one or two runs will be enough, especially when Chris pitches like he did.”

The rest of the game the Red Raiders were as off-balance offensively as Charleston was thanks to Cougars starter Taylor Clarke (10-4), who limited Tech to five hits and a walk with three strikeouts. He retired 10 straight at one point between Neslony’s triple in the third and a leadoff single by Adam Kirsch in the seventh. Smith had two of Tech’s other three hits.

“I thought I had everything working for me pretty well,” Clarke said. “After that first inning the nerves settled down a little bit and I was able to execute some pitches and get ahead of batters a little better.”

Sadberry, however, was just one step ahead, and because of that the Red Raiders are one step from the ultimate goal in college baseball.

“Nothing changes,” Sadberry said. “Yeah, there is a big game on the line, but at the same time we’re going to show up every day, ready to play.”
                      http://m.lubbockonline.com/filed-onl...ston-1-win-cws

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                        --------------------

Can we see your BPA list?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                          Can we see your BPA list?
                          Sure

LHP
                          Ben Wetzler
                          Chris Sadberry

Don't get me wrong,Sadberry is a good arm but if u asked the MLB teams who is more talented they would say Wetzler. In fact to show we were interested we took him 3 rounds later-if he didn't get in trouble he would have likely been the Rd 6 pick

It's like Dillon Peters he was a Rd 3 talent we got in Rd 10 because he blew out his elbow week before

Comment

But they got him later, because they knew he was in trouble.

How could you possibly criticize that?

Comment

I think it's Berry Sad

Comment

Working...
                              X