Tyler Kolek, RHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Todd View Post
    What types of things have the reports been saying?
    From an April 16 writeup:

Tyler Kolek is a big, Texas right-handed pitcher who had a body of an innings-eater horse and arsenal of a mid-rotation starter. His complete arsenal flashed at least average, and he currently throws his fastball in plus to double-plus velocity band. Kolek has a bit of an arm stab and can cut himself off in his delivery, but he repeats relatively well despite having a high-effort delivery. Kolek would need to make the necessary adjustments to improve his command and let his full arsenal play to its full potential for him to remain a starter, but signs point to him being a reliever.

Round Drafted: 2014 1st round, 2nd overall
    Why: Big Texas Prep RHP; showed ability to spin a breaking ball and ability to replicate arm speed on sinking action changeup; trust their developmental staff to tweak his delivery and improve command to keep him a starter—bullpen velocity spike, improved command could allow Kolek to become a closer.

Ceiling: Role 60; No. 3 Starting Pitcher.

40-grade changeup, 30-grade slider
    Repeating High-A after a near disastrous 2016 season, Kolek has had far too many starts like last night, and with that comes growing concern. There’s still the high-octane fastball that draws significant attention, but Kolek’s body remains soft, his control/command continue to lag significantly behind, and general consistency is lacking. Unfortunately, instead of measurable signs of progress in a return to the Florida State League, Kolek is beginning to invoke more references to former Royals first round pick and massive bust, Colt Griffin. —Mark Anderson
    They also dropped him to No. 12 in their 2014 re-draft last month.
    poop

Comment

I don't understand the second quote. Doesn't make sense. Says 2016, says he's in High-A and in the FSL.
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
        I don't understand the second quote. Doesn't make sense. Says 2016, says he's in High-A and in the FSL.
        It's from 2 years from now. Bobbob is a time traveler.

Comment

Apr/May 44ip 5.11era .268/.360/.345 4.3bb/9 6.3k/9
          Jun/Jul 37ip 2.92era .228/.327/.338 4.1bb/9 5.6k/9

The mediocre strikeout rates are the most worrisome. The control issue was expected.

- - - - - - - - - -

Bases Empty: .266/.376/.390 12.7bb% 11.6k%
          Runners On: .233/.314/.293 8.4bb% 18.5k%

maybe he should try pitching from the stretch

Comment

Meanwhile, Rodon is in the top 10% in K/9 out of SP with at least 70 IP with a real-nice-for-a-rookie 3.87 FIP.

That horse is never going to stop getting beaten and it shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
              Meanwhile, Rodon is in the top 10% in K/9 out of SP with at least 70 IP with a real-nice-for-a-rookie 3.87 FIP.

That horse is never going to stop getting beaten and it shouldn't.
              in the last year, they basically chose

Kolek + Nicolino over Rodon and Heaney.

Is that not a fireable offense?
              poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post

Naw, blame the manager, the players, and probably even the tax payers. Not the people who made the decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post

Kolek over Rodon actually happened.

Do the Dodgers make the trade for Nicolino instead of Heaney? (I know they wanted to keep Nicolino over Heaney but the team looks different if they keep Heaney instead)

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                  Naw, blame the manager, the players, and probably even the tax payers. Not the people who made the decisions.
                  Good thing the manager also made the decisions this time.

Comment

According to Larry, Dodger's originally asked for Nicolino and we offered Heaney instead.

http://www.marlinsbaseball.com/topic...omment-1550579

Take it for what it's worth, but he does apparently know somebody who works with the Marlins and post things before news breaks often.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                      According to Larry, Dodger's originally asked for Nicolino and we offered Heaney instead.

Take it for what it's worth, but he does apparently know somebody who works with the Marlins and post things before news breaks often.
                      I read this on Twitter as well. https://twitter.com/craigmish/status/542846919853084672

Comment

• Could have easily had a rotation next year of Fernandez, Rodon, Heaney, Alvarez (Wild Card but survivable if he goes down), and whatever you want out of Urena/Phelps/Koehler/Cosart

Instead, it's Fernandez, hopefully signing a free agent, hopefully signing a free agent, hopefully Alvarez stays healthy, and whatever you want out of Urena/Phelps/Koehler/Cosart.

Cool.

They should be out of baseball. Seriously.

Comment

Considering how fast they traded Heaney, do you think it was the dodger or the angels who would rather have Nicolino?

Comment

• My impression isn't that one of those teams wanted Nicolino instead.

My impression is they knew the value of Heaney and so asked for Nicolino. When we offered Heaney instead, they tried their best not to piss themselves in excitement and said "Oh darn, you drive such a hard bargain. But I guess it's what I gotta take it"

Comment

• It very well could have been the Dodgers told the Angels we'll send you Nicolino and another prospect, but when they got Heaney, they opted to go that route instead.

Comment

My impression isn't that one of those teams wanted Nicolino instead.

My impression is they knew the value of Heaney and so asked for Nicolino. When we offered Heaney instead, they tried their best not to piss themselves in excitement and said "Oh darn, you drive such a hard bargain. But I guess it's what I gotta take it"
                                Yeah that reasoning makes more sense. I find it hard to believe either of those FO ranked them Nicolino then Heaney like ours did.

Comment

Working...
                                X