Marlins Trade 39th Overall Pick to Pirates for Bryan Morris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Worse in fans mind but alot of talk is they(FO-Jennings,Mike Hill,scouts) like Aaron Nola better than Rodon. Not reach the majors faster but think he is better overall. Loria is the one who seems to like Rodon even tho if they take Rodon(if he is there) the FO will say he was the BPA

If we had the #4,#5,#6 pick instead of #2-Aaron Nola would be the pick
    But they don't have the 4, 5, or 6 pick. They have the 2nd. They have done a good job of identifying talent the past few years, but they would be in the minority if they really believe Nola is better than any of the other 3 pitchers or Jackson.

And trading a pick so that it's easier to spend less money certainly looks suspicious.

Comment

If the Marlins draft Aaron Nola #2, Stanton and Fernandez should request their tickets out of Miami, ASAP.

Comment

But his brother is already in the system!
        --------------------
        With them transferring Jose to the 60-day, it makes me think that Caminero will be optioned down and not Hatcher.
        --------------------
        Caminero optioned to New Orleans.
        Last edited by Miamarlin21; 06-01-2014, 03:13 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

tjfla, are you a MLB insider?

Comment

Morris move sets wheels in motion
            MIAMI — Bryan Morris will be joining the Marlins on Monday.

More moves are to follow, and at least one is expected before Thursday’s First-Year Player Draft.

Acquiring Morris from the Pirates is the first piece of some wheeling and dealing the Marlins have been working on over the last few days.

The Marlins did some outside the box thinking in landing Morris, the 27-year-old right-hander. They obtained him for a Competitive Balance Round A pick, which will be the No. 39 overall selection in Thursday’s First-Year Player Draft.

After announcing the trade, Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill said: “I don’t think we’re finished trying to improve our club.”

Asked how Marlins fans should read into sending a high Draft pick for a reliever with 81 big league games of experience, Hill replied: As a sign the team is looking to win.

There is still uncertainty about what is next. From what I’m hearing, another piece to the puzzle is expected to be finalized in the next few days. Stay tuned.

The Marlins clearly are looking for bullpen help with big league experience. Carter Capps was to be one of those pieces. But the hard-throwing right-hander is on the disabled list with a right elbow sprain, and he will be evaluated on Wednesday by Dr. James Andrews.

With Capps out for an extended period, and perhaps the season if Tommy John surgery is required, the Marlins are short on experienced relievers.

Morris throws 94-97 mph and he has a good curveball. He’s also battle tested. Last year with the Pirates, he appeared in 55 games and threw 65 innings.

The trade is a proactive move, because trades really don’t start picking up until closer to the All-Star Break.

The Marlins have a surplus of high picks. They also possessed one of 12 Competitive Balance Round A picks. Those are the only picks that can be traded.

While Miami moved pick No. 39, the club still has the Nos. 2, 36 and 43 picks.

So they acquired a big league reliever without having to trade an actual player in their system. Plus, they still are well positioned at the top of the Draft.

It’s hard to fault the logic, and it is another example of how the front office isn’t abiding by strictly conventional thinking.

Behind the scenes, there is more to come. Within the next few days, we will learn what else the club has up its sleeve.

– Joe Frisaro
            I wonder what. More bullpen moves?

Comment

Originally posted by NoNames7225 View Post
              tjfla, are you a MLB insider?

Comment

Probably claiming someone off waivers.

Comment

Definitely bullpen moves. Hill said that he will not acquire starters. Starters will come from within.

Comment

I bet you someone who is better at Google than I am can look up all the #39 picks in MLB draft history and 96% of them amount to shit, AKA less than Bryan Morris. This trade is worthless and means nothing, and I know you all are draft nerds like me but we have a guaranteed shitty MLB player and that is > or maybe = to #39, this trade is not awful and means nothing and f Loria and Samson and I hope they rot.

Comment

There is enough talent at 39 and where they could take a player guaranteed to provide more value than Morris over the next 5 years.

Comment

http://www.baseball-reference.com/dr...t_type=junreg&

A few notables(one in particular), lots of dreck...
                        Last edited by NoNames7225; 06-01-2014, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Well we did have 3 picks in the 1st round/compensational round, no? Because we got a compensational pick for this year and the one from last year since the guy didn't sign. Apart from that, we have the 2nd pick in the 2nd round. That would have have taken a lot of money to sign those guys so I guess when you think about it that way, it makes some sense. However, Morris seems quite meh.

Comment

Knebel is already in the show with Detroit after being drafted last year. Joey Gallo has 20+ bombs in A-Ball. Someone named Barry Bonds was 39th overall.

Comment

And they literally got nothing out of that pick because he went to college.

Comment

What other 39th overall picks have done is a definite indicator of what the 2014 #39 pick will do.
                                Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                                Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X