Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT Realmuto Called Up

Jacob Realmuto ‏@JTRealmuto 34m
    Got to call my family today and tell them that my childhood dreams were coming true.. Never felt so blessed! Thank you all for the support!!

Clayton Blackburn ‏@C_Blackburn16 2h
    Congrats to @JTRealmuto on the call to the show.. Well deserved

Chipper Smith ‏@Chipper_Smith3 1h
    Couldn't have happened to a better guy! Pleasure throwing to you. Congratulation On the Big League call up @JTRealmuto

no idea what the roster move is

Why start his clock now if he isn't going to play? Should bring up Brantley to sit on the bench.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Because Brantly is left handed, so it makes no sense to pair him with Salty. You have to assume Realmuto starts vs. lefties now. If he doesn't do at least that, then it makes zero sense.

But, we really won't know whats going on until we see what the roster move is. Maybe Salty is hurt? If not, and the roster spot isn't Mathis, then I really don't get this. I'd be pretty surprised to see them randomly get rid of Mathis out of the blue.

Comment

Would that look bad that in the third month of a three-year deal, Salty becomes a part-time player?

Comment

I wouldn't call not playing vs. lefties a part-time player. You still play the majority of the time.

He has a .611 OPS vs. lefties this season and .600 career. He shouldn't be playing vs. them to begin with.

Comment

True. Maybe Mathis is hurt and can't go tomorrow and they want to give Salty the day off?

Comment

Well, then it would be Brantly. I think Salty is headed to the DL. It's really the only thing that makes sense.

Comment

Hard to imagine it's anything else.

A possible platoon doesn't make any sense, because Realmuto doesn't have a significant split vs. LHP.

Also, because this organization hardly believes in platoons.
                poop

Comment

The rise of Realmuto happened really flipping fast. Great first season, below average hitter the last two but improved tremendously on his defense, and this year everything just seemed to click so far. I've said he didn't belong in the majors until late 2015 at the earliest, but sometimes injuries dictate certain callups, and Skipworth and Brantly suck.

I'm also excited that this move means Barnes gets to go back to AA. He posted a .930 OPS last year in short time in AA, and he was rewarded by being sent back down to A+ and doing nothing but hit there again. He's 24 already so we're reaching that point where we need to see what he can do, but he always seemed like me to be a guy more major league ready than Realmuto (although don't get me wrong, Realmuto has the higher ceiling).

Sucks if Salty's hurt, but that would explain some of the struggles he's suddenly had (the regression in BABIP can't explain just how bad he's been this month).

But yeah, this came out of the blue. Realmuto in the majors didn't even cross my mind recently.

Comment

Happy for JT. I hope Salty is okay, but he's been killing us this past month. Next move: acquire relievers! With Carter Capps likely out for a while, I hope the FO is working diligently on improving that bullpen ASAP. Our bullpen is atrocious.

Comment

@clarkspencer: #Marlins place C Jarrod Saltalamacchia on the 7-day concussion DL, recall C J.T. Realmuto from JAX
                      Twitter

Seems like it's going to be a quick stint for JT. Why not just call up Brantly in this case?

Comment

If they're calling up Realmuto, he better get playing time.

Comment

Mathis starting again today.

Comment

So if Realmuto's never gonna play this is a giant waste of time.

If this all leads to Realmuto going back to AA and Barnes getting sent back to A+, it'll be an even bigger waste. If Realmuto simply goes to AAA (with Skipworth getting released please) and Barnes staying at AA, then I don't care.

But right now it seems like this moves means nothing but wasting Realmuto's time and growth for a week.

Comment

We need Mr. cERA back there tonight to compensate for Randy Wolf's level of suck.

Comment

Working...
                              X