• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postgame: Jeff Baker Walks Off, Marlins Win

here we go Marlins, time to represent
    here we go Marlins, time to represent
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Hard to complain about winning five of six this week against the Braves and Dodgers. It's too bad Jose didn't get the win but I'll take it nonetheless.

Comment

If it wasn't for Turner could be 6 of 6. But yes 5 wins against 2 top teams. We're so good at home. Bullpen's struggles have been concerning. I think with one more good starter in the rotation (Heaney) and and finding at least 2 better arms for the pen, we could be a .500 team. The hitting clearly will be there this season.
      STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

This team is fun.
        This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Realistically what can we do about our pen? Do we have any relievers in the minors worth bringing up? I wish we used Capps more.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
            The hitting clearly will be there this season.
            Sorry to be a downer, but I can't agree.

Saltalamacchia will not have an 1.000+ OPS
            McGehee is not a .316 hitter
            Hechavarria is not a .288 hitter
            Dietrich will not have an .825+ OPS, neither will Furcal if he shows up

and if I'm being nit picky, I think small regressions are due to Ozuna and G. Jones at some point, but nothing major like the above 4 who are going to rapidly drop from where they are right now. Which leaves Stanton, who is going to continue to be who he is, and Yelich is probably the only underachiever of the group but not by much. I see this as half the lineup is going to dramatically drop at any moment.

They need to radically upgrade two spots in the infield if they want to keep this up. I would imagine those would be 2B and 3B (since they are completely committed to Hech), and push McGehee to the bench to add to Mathis, Baker, and two of Dietrich/Johnson/Lucas/Solano.

It's going to be hard to do that based on merit right now, Furcal is coming back, and their realistic trade assets (i.e., trading Cishek in July fixes one problem and creates another). The best thing would be for Turner/Koehler to really turn it on and they could move one for a bat and replace with Heaney, and then just dip into the farm and move other pitching (DeScalfani, Urena, Nicolino, Conley, etc.) for someone else. I guess they could try and trade Marisnick too for a similar level guy in the infield which isn't a bad idea.

This is fun and better than expected, but under any scenario in my eyes, they are still 4-5 guys away from being a real contender, and most of that is bats. The only guys who aren't helping the MLB team right now that could probably impact this year are Heaney and Turner. That's not going to be enough. Need much more hitting despite the impressive run totals so far. I think that is higher priority than bullpen, which I still think works itself out if they do nothing. They have to much arm talent for it not to come together.

Comment

Originally posted by kusch View Post
              Realistically what can we do about our pen? Do we have any relievers in the minors worth bringing up? I wish we used Capps more.
              I think replacing Marmol is about all we have to worry about (and I really do hope we release him soon).

Dunn is posting the best K/BB of his career. But he has a .333 BABIP and HR/FB% nearly 5% higher than his career. He'll be fine.

Ramos has gotten lucky so far but he shouldn't continue to walk people at this high of a rate and his x-fip is 3.89

Slowely isn't great but he can eat innings and start. Hand has been better out of the pen. Jennings/Flynn can replace Hand as second lefty if he starts to suck shit there too.

Cishek is obviously nothing to worry about, and Capps has shown a lot of promise so far.

As far as call ups...Conley is looking good. DeSclafani, Dyson, and a shit ton of lefties like Jennings, Flynn, Dayton, and maybe even Heaney to ease him in (though we need starting help).

I'd love to see Marmol get DFA'd and have Conley called up, personally.
              --------------------
              Originally posted by lou View Post
              I see this as half the lineup is going to dramatically drop at any moment.
              To put this in perspective, we currently lead baseball in BABIP.

We are VASTLY improved from last year, but we are not going to continue being a top-5 offensive team in baseball.
              Last edited by nny; 05-04-2014, 06:02 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Prediction: McGehee's OPS will be about where it is right now at the end of the season. The Average isn't sustainable, but you're going to start to see some of those long fly balls that he's been hitting go out pretty soon which will bump up the slugging and stabilize the OPS.

Comment

I'm gonna enjoy how well they are playing right now. When they stop hitting, I'm not gonna get mad at them. Pretty simple.
                  poop

Comment

I'd really like to see Capps become the setup guy. He clearly has the best stuff in the bullpen. With Cishek closing and Capps setting up, Dunn and Ramos can become situational guys which they would be better suited for. It would fix a lot.
                    One guy who could be interesting in the pen, as well, is Brad Hand. From what I've seen, his velocity has been much better out of the pen and he's looked better out there in general than he has as a starter.

As for the offense, I definitely don't see it being this good all year. I would just like to see Mike Redmond utilize platoons properly, and whatever happens happens. I'm not looking forward to Furcal coming back because I think it'll make the offense worse if anything. It would be cool if he were just coming in to replace Solano, but we all know he's going to start.

Our pitching is exciting. Jose Fernandez is the best pitcher in baseball in my opinion and I'm buying Nathan Eovaldi's progress so far. The only pitcher on the roster who projects to regress is Tom Koehler. The Turner situation can be fixed later in the year with a Heaney call up.

Comment

This game was amazing to go to.

Comment

McLevin and I are going on Wednesday. Anyone else?
                        Originally posted by Madman81
                        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                          This game was amazing to go to.
                          yep.
                          --------------------
                          Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                          McLevin and I are going on Wednesday. Anyone else?
                          Friend got $10 tickets for me and him for Wednesday so I'll be there.
                          Last edited by dim; 05-04-2014, 07:39 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                            yep.
                            We should have met up.

Comment

Congrats to those that attended. Outstanding game to be at.

2 Stanton HR's and then a walk off where Puig ends up laid out on his back.

Comment

Working...
                              X