*LIVE* Hammerheads Game Report 4/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *LIVE* Hammerheads Game Report 4/5

I've been promoted! Okay, not really. But after years of my amateur scouting reports focusing on the short-season A level, due to a geographic alteration, I'm now able to attend Jupiter games against Ft. Myers. I do plan on going back to NY this July for a wedding, so I'm hoping to take in at least one Muckdogs game then.

But tonight, I took in my first Hammerheads game and it was over soon after it began. Ft. Myers put an eight-spot up in the first inning off of starter Jake Esch. Jupiter did provide some offense throughout the game, but pitching was their downfall.

Jupiter is managed this year by Brian Schneider, a player I despised when he played against the Marlins. There was just something about him that made me think, here's a guy who should go 0-fer every time we play him, and yet he seemed to always kill the Marlins. Oh well. Here are my notes...

LF Alonzo Harris (Originally a 39th Round Pick, 2007 by Mets; spent 2013 with AA Binghamton in Mets organization): Not sure how he found his way to the Marlins this off-season, but Harris was once a coveted New York prospect. He was rated fastest baserunner in the Mets organization and best baserunner in the Florida State League, both by Baseball America in 2012. In this game, Harris was 0-5 from the lead-off spot. He sits deep in a crouch when at-bat. He also uses his entire body in his swing, at least, at times. He was robbed by the pitcher on a web gem, stabbing the ball as it bounced up the middle. He did put the ball in play in each of his five ABs. Defensively, Harris got to a screamer down the line, fielded it and threw it in quickly to hold the hitter to just one base.

RF Ryan Goetz (26th Round Pick, 2011; spent 2013 with A+ Jupiter and AAA New Orleans): I've profiled Goetz before, when he played for Jamestown, and when he was an infielder. Goetz was also 0-5 and struck out once. He's 5'10" and looks short at the plate. He bats left, which made for a trying day against lefty pitchers that the Miracle mounded. He tried to drag bunt in the first, but it went foul. His strike-out was swinging, on a ball in the dirt. The nice thing is he did see a lot of pitches in his at-bats.

SS Terrance Dayleg (22nd Round Pick, 2009; spent 2013 with A+ Jupiter): Dayleg is another player who has seen his position switch since I last saw him in Batavia; a former first basemen, he has been turned into a middle infielder. Dayleg was 1-4 with a run scored. He reached in the first inning when a slow roller to short forced a bad throw to first. His double was a deep shot over the center-fielder's head. His range at short was tested and he did make a nice diving stop with the bases loaded early in the game, though he didn't have a play, he may have saved a run.

1B Viosergy Rosa (29th Round Pick, 2010; spent 2013 with A Greensboro): Rosa was promoted a level this year after hitting 23 home runs with the Grasshoppers last year. Rosa fell into a lefty-lefty trap as well, and he looked quite uncomfortable in his first at-bat. He was able to adjust, finishing 2-4 with a run and a strikeout. His second AB was a first-pitch single to right. He also singled to right in his last AB. He's a well-built player whose power is evident in his swing.

DH Matt Juengel (24th Round Pick, 2012; spent 2013 with A Greensboro): Juengel's steady climb up the ladder continues. He went 1-4 with a run against Ft. Myers. His front foot strides into the pitch from an open stance. Otherwise, he has a compact form at the plate. I don't know if it was the uniform or helmet or what, but Juengel looked to have long legs and no neck. One of his outs was a line drive stung to center field. In his fourth at-bat, with runners on first and third, he popped out to the second basemen.

CF Angel Morales (Originally a 3rd Round Pick, 2007 by Twins; spent 2013 with A+ Ft. Myers and AA New Britain in Twins organization; signed a minor-league deal with Marlins, 1/22/14): Morales was 1-4 with a run and an RBI. He keeps his hands far away from his body and shows good speed down the line. His single was a line-drive to center, and he also flew out to deep left in his second at-bat.

3B Blake Barber: (Signed as an undrafted free-agent, 2012; spent 2013 with A- Batavia and A Greensboro): Given his line on the night, it's probably no surprise that Barber looked the best of any of the Hammerhead hitters. Barber was 3-4 with a double and 2 RBI. He hit the ball on the button each time, two of his singles line drives. He had a solid approach at the plate.

C Josh Adams: (13th Round Pick, 2011; spent 2013 with A+ Jupiter): In another life, Adams was a SS, then a 3B. I noted in a previous report that it appeared he had out-grown the SS position. He's now being tried at catcher. Adams was 1-3 with a BB, which came on four pitches in his first AB. He rarely swung and missed, often fighting off pitches. His single was a little flare to RF. Defensively, he allowed a stolen base which was probably more on the pitcher than him (it was a steal of third). He committed a throwing error in the fourth as, when fielding a chopper in front of the plate, he made an errant throw to first, drawing the defender off the bag. Also has a nice forearm tattoo.

2B Noah Perio (39th Round Pick, 2009; spent 2013 with A+ Jupiter and AA Jacksonville): Perio went 0-4 with a strikeout. He went down swinging after being up in the count 2-0. He grounded out three times and also made an error in the field, allowing a grounder to eat him up while shuffling to his left to try to field it. All in all, not one of his finer nights.

SP Jake Esch (11th Round Pick, 2011; spent 2013 with A+ Jupiter): Esch was thoroughly roughed up in his first outing of 2014. His performance was as ugly as his line would indicate: 3 IP, 6 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 4 BB, 1 K. Esch walked the second batter of the game on four pitches and threw nine straight balls from the stretch after the leadoff hitter reached on a single. With the bases loaded in the first, he walked in a run. The 7th hitter was the first he got in front of, with a 1-2 count. The batter singled anyway. In the Miracle's eight-run first, Esch threw maybe five offspeed pitches of the 35-40+ he tossed. He comes from high 3/4 with a high leg kick from the wind-up. Esch topped out at 94 MPH on his fastball. However, he was more consistently in the high 80s, low 90s with it. He appeared to lack an effective out pitch. His strikeout was on an offspeed pitch, and he utilized them more in the third inning (his final frame).

RP Colby Suggs (2nd Round Pick, 2013; spent 2013 with GCL Marlins, A- Batavia and A+ Jupiter): I was excited to see what Suggs had to offer, but he followed Esch's blueprint. In one inning, Suggs gave up two hits, five runs (four earned), one walk and two strikeouts. He allowed a grand slam as well. Suggs is a tad squatty looking, rearing all the way back to deliver the pitch. He has a Carlos Perez-like pause during the process, where his arms are spread as if he's going to fly. He explodes off his back foot and is a max effort pitcher. He walked the first batter he faced. He also hit a batter with the bases loaded. The next pitch was the granny on a 94 mph fastball. He sat more consistently in the 93, 94 mph range.

RP Reid Redman (Originally a 23rd Round Pick, 2012 by Rays; signed by Marlins as a minor-league free agent, 2013; spent 2013 with A- Batavia): Redman transitioned to pitcher last year with Batavia after being drafted (and playing in Rookie ball for Tampa) as an infielder. He was called on to stop the bleeding in this game, and did so. His line: 3 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 K. He has an easy delivery and like the pitchers before him, topped out at 94. He turns his back slightly when lifting his leg in his motion. Not surprisingly, fielded his position well in starting a 1-6-3 double play. He often missed up in the zone with his off-speed stuff.

RP Brian Ellington (16th Round Pick, 2012; spent 2013 with GCL Marlins, A- Batavia, and A Greensboro): The third-year player closed the game with one inning of work, giving up one hit, and striking out two. Ellington comes from 3/4 and has a violent leg kick with his front leg when striding forward toward the plate. His front leg is rigid when in the set position. Ellington lit up the radar gun, consistently hitting the mid-90s. One of his strike-outs, looking, was a 97-mph corner-painter. The second strikeout came on a 79 mph offspeed pitch. He pounded the strike zone in his one inning.
    Last edited by geemoney; 04-06-2014, 12:58 AM.
Working...
X