No announcement yet.

Train Keeps Rollin' With 8-2 Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My view on it is I just wanna have fun watching the Marlins again. A 162 games is a long season and I didn't even make it out of April last yr before it was like fuck it. At least its entertaining and maybe they can make some heads turn this yr for the good. Are they 2003? That was such a special team i don't think anything could top it but who knows. It's the beauty of baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
      I hope they go 161-1. There's nothing I'd rather have in a sports context than for them to make playoffs and for BigGameFish to shove it in my face at every turn.

Tell me why posters here should be allowed to circlejerk about how great we are but not allowed to discuss the Marlins in a rational statistical manner? Why is that frowned upon? Isn't that what a discussion board is for? Point and counter point?

I'm getting fairly tired of being told that I'm somehow a fuckface for keeping perspective and not kneejerking to 5 game sample sizes
      I think the turn off is the running "jokes". Somebody says they like the Marlins starting shortstop. Generally, he sucks, but he is playing well and has been fun to watch so far in this short season. In the game thread, while Hech is having a great game, somebody said "Anybody think Hech will bat .600 this year?" which is an obvious insult directed at anybody who wants to see Hech have a good season. You, Bob, and all the other strict statheads do not seem to want Hech to hit above .230. You are actively rooting for him to be the worst hitter in the league, so that you can show everybody that you knew he would be the worst hitter in the league. And we all know that when his batting average is around .200 later in the season, there will be plenty of posts every time he strikes out saying "Remember when Hech was supposed to hit .500 this year?" and then MK7 will say "I never said he would be great I just said I thought he would improve" and then Mainge will say "Ya improving from the worst hitter in the league to the second worst is great" and we all know that conversation is coming which is why there are no new members (which supposedly you don't want anyway) but the old members don't post here as much, presumably because they are tired of the same conversations being had over and over again.

You aren't a fuckface, it's the internet and it's a forum and everyone is entitled to type out whatever level of douchiness they want, and this is group of guys that have been together for a long time and everybody understands eachother's deals, but as somebody who agrees with most of the arguments the statheads make, and has never posted enough on here to get something I said torn into shreds, I just thought I would share my little old opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by el nino View Post
        You, Bob, and all the other strict statheads do not seem to want Hech to hit above .230 .

I don't disagree with everything you said, but this is just not true.

Comment

I think the turn off is the running "jokes". Somebody says they like the Marlins starting shortstop. Generally, he sucks, but he is playing well and has been fun to watch so far in this short season. In the game thread, while Hech is having a great game, somebody said "Anybody think Hech will bat .600 this year?" which is an obvious insult directed at anybody who wants to see Hech have a good season. You, Bob, and all the other strict statheads do not seem to want Hech to hit above .230. You are actively rooting for him to be the worst hitter in the league, so that you can show everybody that you knew he would be the worst hitter in the league. And we all know that when his batting average is around .200 later in the season, there will be plenty of posts every time he strikes out saying "Remember when Hech was supposed to hit .500 this year?" and then MK7 will say "I never said he would be great I just said I thought he would improve" and then Mainge will say "Ya improving from the worst hitter in the league to the second worst is great" and we all know that conversation is coming which is why there are no new members (which supposedly you don't want anyway) but the old members don't post here as much, presumably because they are tired of the same conversations being had over and over again.

You aren't a fuckface, it's the internet and it's a forum and everyone is entitled to type out whatever level of douchiness they want, and this is group of guys that have been together for a long time and everybody understands eachother's deals, but as somebody who agrees with most of the arguments the statheads make, and has never posted enough on here to get something I said torn into shreds, I just thought I would share my little old opinion.
          Actually I was the one that said the thing about Hech hitting .600 and it was the exact opposite of what you think. It was for the people that spend their time talking about how bad we need to upgrade the position.

I like him.

Hugg knows.

Comment

Because there's no new game thread, I thought I would mention here that tonight's lineup is my favorite so far in the young season: Hech, Yelich (who I think will benefit greatly from
            Having Stanton behind him), Stanton, jones, Mcgehee, salty, Dietrich, Oz and with Jose on the mound on a Saturday night with the roof open. Should be a great one tonight. I will be there. Cheers, gentlemen! Let's enjoy theses games while we're hot! Go fish!
            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

This thread...I want to go back to three seconds ago and forget it happened.

Comment

TLDR: You guys root for and discuss regression to the mean more than you root for and discuss the Miami Marlins. This is why there is no activity here.
                There's no activity here because the team/organization fucking blows.

The other site is more active, but it's probably lost 70% of its user base over the last few years, just like this one.

I'll admit I'm a big ol' jerk in a lot of ways. If you want to argue that's why this place sucks, I'm all ears. We're a bunch of cliquey douchebags.

I also spent a bunch of the 2012 season arguing the team was due to regress from it's awful start and play better. I don't have any investment in the team being bad; I'm interested in analyzing the team truthfully, no matter what that truth is.
                --------------------
                I feel like the reason this forum isn't very active is that there aren't many baseball fans on here.
                Also, this is dumb. You can't be a baseball fan if you are also in analytics. Yay!
                --------------------
                But sports is supposed to be a distraction from the logical.
                This is also silly. Sports is supposed to be entertainment, and different people derive joy from different things. You want to watch sports as a "distraction from the logical," that's fuckin' rad. Knock yourself out. Other people don't. Your experience and desires aren't any more valid than anyone else's.
                --------------------
                I'm very excited about the way the team is playing! I think it's awesome and fun, and I laugh out loud every time Hech gets a hit because of how vocal I've been about him.

I can enjoy something and also think that thing will not continue to occur.
                --------------------
                Part of what makes sports great is that we can have all this knowledge and end up not knowing anything.

I thought Emilio Bonifacio was terrible and he was.

I also told Erick I didn't get why he was excited about Steve Cishek when he was a rookie. I ended up being wrong about that, and Cishek is one of my favorite players in the league now.

I like being proven wrong. If Hechavarria wins a batting title this season, I'd be thrilled. It' would be hilarious.
                Last edited by Bobbob1313; 04-05-2014, 05:44 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                poop

Comment

Any post that accuses me of rooting against the Marlins and Hech is so hilariously wrong that it's not worth responding to.

Comment

For what it's worth, I am probably as emotionally uninvested in this team as that guy thinks, but only because I'm dead inside on account of journalism school.
                    --------------------
                    I want to see them win and am happy when they do. When they lose, I feel nothing.
                    Last edited by Bobbob1313; 04-05-2014, 05:37 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                    poop

Comment

Forums are also just a dieing medium. I think that constantly gets ignored.

Comment

I know Bob's thing is that he doesn't have an emotional attachment to the team. He is exempt from my uncalled for attack on the forum. But, I think a lot of people act as robotic as him on this forum, even if they are, in fact, rooting vocally for the Marlins in the safety of their own home. I came to this forum (the one before this, I think JJ was the owner?) originally because when I couldn't watch the games, I would literally read every post in this forum's game thread and combine that with looking at the box score, and I actually felt like I knew exactly what happened in that game. And even though we sucked back then, most threads made at least a couple pages. Also, I thought you guys were entertaining. But it just ain't surprising that nobody posts in game threads here anymore, even when one gets made.

Comment

MB_dot_com's current game thread is three whole pages, and they don't have a bunch of robot jerks keeping the sunshine away.

We used to have game threads regularly go 6-10 pages. Nobody cares about this organization right now.

There are serious issues with this message board. That a few of us have FanGraphs.com bookmarked isn't one of them.
                          poop

Comment

Would you please provide a brief, bullet point list of this message board's serious issues? Besides malware.

Comment

• I'm a jerk
                              • Mainge is a jerk
                              • Beef doesn't us enough punctuation
                              • 2001 Mariners/1962 Mets threads
                              • The Marlins are one of the worst-run organizations in professional sports
                              • Calculators
                              • MK7 sucks
                              poop

Comment

May I add "things" to the list?

Or do we not do those anymore?

Comment

Working...
                                X