Marlins Come From Behind, Win 8-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Come From Behind, Win 8-5

"Offense is going to remain a problem for this team. Best we just accept that now."
    --------------------
    real fun game to watch. the offense definitely still has its holes...and the situational hitting was frustrating...but after watching the comeback attempt last night and today's game, I don't automatically think we'll lose anymore when we're down a few runs.
    Last edited by emkayseven; 04-03-2014, 03:36 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Something tells me I will grow to hate Garett Jones over the next few months.
    --------------------
    & it feels great to be 3-1
    Last edited by BigGameFish; 04-03-2014, 03:38 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
      "Offense is going to remain a problem for this team. Best we just accept that now."
      k..
      poop

Comment

Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
        Something tells me I will grow to hate Garett Jones over the next few months.
        --------------------
        & it feels great to be 3-1
        He just needs to be used correctly and he'll be fine.

If we're going to give a lefty a chance to play against lefties it should be Dietrich. He's young, could use the ABs and a chance to be an every day guy. Plus, he hit better against lefties than righties last year anyway.

Comment

If Casey McGehee continues to post a 1.434 OPS, the Marlins may not remain a problem for this team.
          --------------------
          Adeiny Hechavarria hitting .500 all season may fix the team's offensive issues.
          Last edited by Bobbob1313; 04-03-2014, 03:42 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          poop

Comment

On the flip-side we haven't gotten much production at all from Jones, Salty, Baker and Yelich. Things will balance out.

Comment

I don't see anyway this becomes an even average hitting team. Too much crap in the lineup
              --------------------
              Like Stanton will probably OPS over .800 and then who? Maybe Yelich if we're lucky and that's it.
              Last edited by Mainge; 04-03-2014, 03:52 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I hated Jones before we even played. And it's not his fault - he's a fine player - but the FO came out and said he'd be an everyday player when clearly the dude should not be hitting vs LHP. I'm hoping Baker rakes against LHP while Furcal is out, and when Furcal comes back, they realize they need to keep Baker in the lineup vs LHP.
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Furcal is going to hurt the offense even more. Definitely need to hope for the Dietrich/Baker/Solano/Jones platoon

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                    I don't see anyway this becomes an even average hitting team. Too much crap in the lineup
                    --------------------
                    Like Stanton will probably OPS over .800 and then who? Maybe Yelich if we're lucky and that's it.
                    it's just a whole hell of a lot better than last year. Are they this good? No...but I have a lot more faith in their ability to come back from deficits than I did last year.

And when you talk about average hitting...last year the 15th place team OPS was Arizona with a .715 team OPS. They had one regular over .800 OPS (Goldschmidt). The only other "regular" over .800 was Aaron Hill with .818 in only 87 games. You don't need 3 guys OPSing .800 to be a middle of the pack offense anymore.
                    --------------------
                    Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                    Furcal is going to hurt the offense even more. Definitely need to hope for the Dietrich/Baker/Solano/Jones platoon
                    I mean, I agree, Furcal is going to be awful and, worse, you just know they're going to insist on hitting him in the leadoff spot.
                    Last edited by emkayseven; 04-03-2014, 04:00 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I'm also dreading Furcal's return. What they should be doing, is the Jones/Baker Platoon that was planned now, and starting Dietrich every day at 2B now. Dietrich was clearly rushed last year, and still wasn't completely terrible. Give him the chance to solidify himself in the major leagues. Why not?

Comment

It's definitely better than last year but it's still bad. Last years offense was literally the worst offense in 25 years.

We'll need to have quite a bit break right for our offense to be average, including Stanton staying healthy
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                        I'm also dreading Furcal's return. What they should be doing, is the Jones/Baker Platoon that was planned now, and starting Dietrich every day at 2B now. Dietrich was clearly rushed last year, and still wasn't completely terrible. Give him the chance to solidify himself in the major leagues. Why not?
                        Dietrich's minor league splits against LHP's are so bad that I'd be okay with a platoon there.
                        Last edited by Mainge; 04-03-2014, 04:07 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

From the ESPN Game Recap:

Gonzalez left Wednesday's game in the sixth inning when he became dizzy after accidentally swallowing some tobacco dip.
                          I Fucking LOL'ed

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                            it's just a whole hell of a lot better than last year. Are they this good? No...but I have a lot more faith in their ability to come back from deficits than I did last year.

And when you talk about average hitting...last year the 15th place team OPS was Arizona with a .715 team OPS. They had one regular over .800 OPS (Goldschmidt). The only other "regular" over .800 was Aaron Hill with .818 in only 87 games. You don't need 3 guys OPSing .800 to be a middle of the pack offense anymore.
                            Average major-league team scored 675 runs last season. Marlins scored 513. I don't think they improved their offense by a run per game.

This will still probably be in the discussion for worst offensive teams in the majors. Baseball Prospectus has them at 72 runs worse than the Mets for dead last.
                            --------------------
                            I think if everything broke right, they still wouldn't be an average offensive team. Their best-case scenario is probably still bottom-10.
                            Last edited by Bobbob1313; 04-03-2014, 04:47 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                            poop

Comment

I think a lot of it comes down to Stanton, if this is the season he becomes a superstar, and stays healthy all year and has 1.000+ OPS, I think we'll be in good shape.

Also, just think of the right side of our infield. If McGehee can put up a .750 OPS and Hech a .700 OPS, nothing spectacular, but such giant improvements from those two positions would be huge for our run production to go along with the improvement offensively we should have from the catcher's spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X