No announcement yet.

2014 MLB Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured he'd be a candidate when the job came open. Meddlesome ownership and small budget, it makes sense.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Yeah if they want a yes man who will be a good scapegoat when things go south he's perfect.

Comment

Chase Headley has a sub .600 OPS

lololololol?

Comment

Still been one of the best defensive third basemen in baseball, has a 24% line-drive rate, .248 BABIP.

I would love for the Marlins to take a buy-low chance on him, but I get the feeling they are gonna keep McGehee around.
          poop

Comment

A's going for it all! Didn't seem like they gave up a lot to get TWO pitchers.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...land-athletics

Comment

Jake Smoliniski had his contract purchased by Texas.
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Atlanta to release Uggla.

Comment

Uggs will always be one of my favorite Marlins. Sucks that he's struggled so much since he left us...Well since it was with the Braves it doesn't suck so much, but hopefully he'll be able to turn it around with another team.

Comment

He did way better in the bigs than anyone thought he would. He should consider himself the luckiest man on earth Lou Gehrig style

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      Uggs will always be one of my favorite Marlins. Sucks that he's struggled so much since he left us...Well since it was with the Braves it doesn't suck so much, but hopefully he'll be able to turn it around with another team.
                      *not us
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• I would not take a flyer on him. No, but I wouldn't be at all surprised given this FO's track record.

Comment

• I'd take a flyer on him. It's a low risk, potential high reward signing. Yes his numbers are absolutely ugly this year and his entire career in Atlanta, but right now we're starting Solano/Lucas/whoever at 2B and they're performing like crap themselves.

I can understand the whole bridges are burnt thing and Uggla is over the hill mindset, but at this point in the season I don't see it hurting giving him a month to see if he can become even a little bit of his former self. It's not like we're in serious playoff contention at the moment, and it wouldn't cost us much money at all (and he's not taking the spot from anybody better or who has a real future with the team in Solano/Lucas).

I just don't see how taking on Uggla hurts. Hell even if he duds like he's done for a few years now, its really a "no harm, no foul" kind of move. We dump him and the money isn't an issue. It's not like there's really any better options out there when it comes to 2B. Hell, if Uggla somehow regains a little of his former self, that could maybe get us back in playoff contention.

There's one thing we all know, and that's exactly what we have from Solano at 2nd. It doesn't work. At some point we really need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot and try something different.

Comment

• Dietrich is our best second baseman.

Dietrich is better than Uggla.

Dietrich is not playing.

Comment

• MLB.com's Jim Callis reports that the Astros have failed to sign No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken.
                              Not only did they fail to sign Aiken, they also didn't sign fifth-rounder Jacob Nix and Mac Marshall. The Astros seem convinced that Aiken is dealing with a real issue with his pitching elbow and wanted him at a discount, while Aiken's camp contended that the hurler was just fine physically. In the end, neither side budged. Aiken is the third No. 1 overall pick ever not to sign and the first since 1983. The Astros will receive the No. 2 overall pick in next year's draft as compensation for not signing Aiken. The lefty is committed to go to UCLA, but he seems likely instead to head to junior college before entering the draft next year.
                              Well then.
                              --------------------
                              But I do like what the Marlins are currently doing. Solano and Jones vs RHP. Solano hits righties better. And Lucas and Baker to face lefties. Obviously I would want upgrades, but at least they are doing the right platoons.
                              Last edited by Miamarlin21; 07-18-2014, 04:35 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                Dietrich is our best second baseman.

Dietrich is better than Uggla.

Dietrich is not playing.
                                Well I'm not including Dietrich because the front office hates him.

I like Dietrich. Don't love him since I don't think he'll ever hit enough to make up for his lackluster defense, but you're right he's better than whatever we're putting out there now and likely Uggla's production as well.

But we're at the point where Solano is starting. Uggla has a better chance of doing something than Solano imo.
                                --------------------
                                Kind of embarrassing for the 'Stros not to sign Aiken. In essence the Marlins ended up with the first pick and took Kolek. No REGRETS
                                Last edited by dim; 07-18-2014, 04:44 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X