Spring Training Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Looks like Brad Hand is gonna be the odd man out-word is we are shopping him around the league. Arizona,LAA,Minnesota,San Diego have interest.

Rotation
    Fernandez
    Alvarez
    Eovaldi
    Turner
    Koehler or Slowey with other one as Long Relief
    I wish they would shop Turner instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
      I wish they would shop Turner instead.
      If they got blown away by an offer who knows but as today they are calling around about Hand. They can still try to send Slowey down to AAA as insurance and keep Hand as #5 and Koehler as the long relief guy. The issue is tho Turner/Koehler/Hand would all get snatched up very quickly if DFA.

They like Koehler since he can start and pitch long/eat innings. Turner has talent he just needs to put it together

Comment

I don't understand why. Hand is out of options. Koehler is not. Slowey isn't even on the 40-man roster. If they want Slowey that badly, then option Koehler down and purchase his contract.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
          I don't understand why. Hand is out of options. Koehler is not. Slowey isn't even on the 40-man roster. If they want Slowey that badly, then option Koehler down and purchase his contract.
          I think that is what they will probably do however right now it looks like they wanna shop Hand around and see what they could get for him. See if they could possibly get a guy who doesnt need to be on the 40 man yet

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            I think that is what they will probably do however right now it looks like they wanna shop Hand around and see what they could get for him. See if they could possibly get a guy who doesnt need to be on the 40 man yet
            You said before he is the odd-man out.
            poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              You said before he is the odd-man out.
              He is but Slowey is not on the 40 man so if they can't get something for Hand MAYBE they will send Slowey down and add him when a spot is opened

We might be stupid but not that stupid to give away a 23 Yr Old Left Starter for nothing which is why we are talking to teams now rather than March 30

Comment

Wouldn't it just be a better idea to keep the 23-year-old lefty since Kevin Slowey is, well, not very good and pretty irrelevant to a young team that's likely going nowhere?

Comment

Would be pretty stupid to trade a young lefty lefty in spring training
                  STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Makes no sense to trade Hand and keep Slowey.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                      Makes no sense to trade Hand and keep Slowey.
                      I dont think they want to trade him however he has no options left so it is keep him as #5 starter/keep him as Long Relief/try to trade him for a prospect who has options or doesnt have to be on the 40 man/DFA him and he will be gone

They like Koehler as the #5 Starter and Slowey is a favorite. I agree with u guys I would make Hand the #5 and Koehler the long relief guy but they seem to wanna shop him around and see if he has a market.

What most likely will happen is no one will give them what they are looking for and they keep Hand and Koehler tell Slowey to go to AAA and he will be up. The reason why the info has came out already tho is because they don't want to start calling around 3/30-they want to do it early

Everytime we have called Minnesota they have wanted him in a deal cause #1 they need SP bad and #2 he is from there so it is pretty much a given they will be intersted

Comment

From Berry's Buzzfeed on the Miami Herald:

"WEDNESDAY BUZZ COLUMN

Random thoughts on the Marlins from four veteran big-league scouts who have evaluated them this spring:

### There’s more optimism than I expected, based primarily on the pitching staff. “They have some of the better young starters in baseball and a decent bullpen,” one said. "Their pitching is better than Atlanta’s.”

Said another: “Their team is better than the Phillies and Mets. Their pitching is very deep, and they have a power staff. All high quality starters.”

And another said: “I like their team. There’s a lot more positive energy now. I think they can get to .500 and maybe [better] because Philadelphia and New York are in disarray.”

### Among players that have impressed the most this spring: Pitchers Brad Hand and Tom Koehler. Each has allowed one run in 12 innings; one will be in the rotation, one likely in the bullpen. “Koehler’s stuff has gotten better,” one scout said. “He’s already a No. 4-type starter and could end up being a No. 3.”
                        ### Prized lefty prospects Andrew Heaney and Adam Conley, both sent to minor league camp on Monday, also drew plaudits. One scout said: “Heaney can be really special, and Conley had got a good arm; he can relieve or start. I’m very impressed with the amount of good arms they have coming.”

### Concerns were voiced about Marcell Ozuna, who is 5 for 36 this spring. But manager Mike Redmond said today he still expects him to start in center field.

“Last two weeks will be key for him, because this is the time pitchers break out their breaking stuff, and he’s vulnerable to that,” one scout said. “He’s a wild swinger. The tools are there, but he’s had a bad spring. If they go with a [Brian] Bogusevic/Reed Johnson platoon instead, those guys are serviceable.”

Johnson (13 for 29 this spring) has been much better than Bogusevic (6 for 29). Jeff Baker also could see time in left field. And Jake Marisnick can’t be ruled out if he keeps hitting like this (.375 this spring).

Said another scout: “Ozuna has that big Gary Sheffield pump going, and it seems like he’s late getting his hands back and foot down.”

### From a scout perspective, there aren’t many doubts about Christian Yelich, even though he’s hitting .222 this spring. Though Ozuna has the stronger arm, “Yelich looks like a little better center fielder to me,” one scout said. “His range is better. Good instincts. He’s going to hit .280 to .300 in his career.”

### One scout worries about Rafael Furcal, 36, who has battled a hamstring injury this spring after missing all of 2013 with shoulder surgery. “When he has played, I haven’t been impressed,” one scout said. Another said: “Furcal looks heavy to me.”

Donovan Solano (.364 this spring) and Derek Dietrich (.371) are decent options at second base if Furcal misses time in the regular season, and both have hit well this spring. “Dietrich has played better than the Marlins probably expected,” one scout said. “He’s become more disciplined at the plate.”

### One scout said the Marlins are making a mistake if they start the season with Garrett Jones playing every day at first base, instead of platooning with Jeff Baker. Jones is hitting .158 this spring, Baker .296. “Jones can’t hit left-handers, and he’s got a very long swing right now,” one of the scouts said.

### One scout said the Marlins’ biggest worry should be “first, second and third base. Not very good. Casey McGehee [hitting .225] is a stopgap at third. Free-swinging guy. Hasn’t been great. He’ll play a representative third base.”... Another said: “One thing you learn in Japan is how to learn to hit breaking balls. It should make McGehee a better hitter.”

### On the Carlos Marmol experiment: “So far, he has been OK. He has thrown the ball over the plate, which for him is quite a challenge. But can he ever be trusted?” Two scouts said reliever Carter Capps, acquired for Logan Morrison, hasn’t thrown as well as they expected, at least not yet.

### Relievers Henry Rodriguez and Arquimedes Caminero have impressed. “Rodriguez might be a hidden gem,” one scout said. “Throws 98, decent curveball.” Another said Rodriguez “pitched this week as well as I’ve seen in a long time."
                        STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

Dietrich has been good but K'd about 10 times in 30 something at bats; however, when he's making contact, he's hitting the ball VERY hard. I would like to see him get a shot to start. Hopefully Furcal stays on DL or an opportunity opens up.

I wouldn't look too much into Marisnick's numbers. He still has the same swing, same stance, etc., and I think he's been more lucky than good this spring.

Reed Johnson has been tearing the cover of the ball as well. All of his hits have been pure base hits from what I've seen. Definitely not squeezing through holes like Marisnick.

Ozuna has hit the ball hard, but right at people. I think he's just in a slump and should be our starting LF or CF come opening day.

Bogusevic has been terrible. I've watched him play and I'm not convinced deserves a roster spot at this point.

Jake Turner is doing the same thing as always, walks a bunch, allows a bunch of hits, yet gets out of the jam (somehow).

Henry Rodriguez has been very solid. He's throwing the ball hard as always, and he's also been wild a couple of times; however, I think he makes the club hands down.

* I'm also not sure why Chaz Roe is still pitching for us out of the bullpen. He's also been terrible. He has gotten hammered.
                          Last edited by Big Z; 03-19-2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

@jonmorosi: Many teams need starting pitching, and Marlins have rotation depth to spare. Brad Hand and Tom Koehler having strong springs.
                            Twitter

No surprise here.

Comment

@jonmorosi: Mariners, DBacks are possible fits for Marlins starter Jacob Turner; Marlins having active trade talks because of quality pitching depth.
                              Twitter

I'm all in on this. What do you guys think he brings in return?

Comment

Nothing. He sucks
                                --------------------
                                That's probably not fair. But I'll definitely stick with him bringing back nothing of significance.
                                Last edited by Mainge; 03-20-2014, 01:03 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X