Baseball Prospectus Top-10 Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Prospectus Top-10 Prospects

Some key excerpts: "A system thick with major-league quality talent, with a thinner impact layer up top (Heaney, Moran) but good depth, especially at the lower levels of the system."

LHP Andrew Heaney
    "Best left-handed starter in the minors"
    Overall Future Potential: High 6; no. 2 starter

Realistic Role: 6; no. 3 starter

Risk Factor/Injury History: Low risk; limited Double-A experience; arsenal and pitchability for major-league level

3B Colin Moran
    "should position himself for a role on the 25-man by 2015"
    Overall Future Potential: 6; first-division player

Realistic Role: 5; major-league regular

Risk Factor/Injury History: Moderate risk; hit tool is legit; questions about power and defensive profile

CF Jake Marisnick
    "learning to fail and recover at the highest level will be a necessary part of the developmental process"

Realistic Role: 5; major-league regular

Risk Factor/Injury History: Low risk; achieved major-league level

RHP Trevor Williams
    "could compete for a rotation spot at some point in 2015"
    Overall Future Potential: 6; no. 3 starter

Realistic Role: 5; no. 4 starter

Risk Factor/Injury History: Moderate risk; limited professional record; mature arsenal

RHP Nick Wittgren
    "should be pitching in games that count at some point over the summer"
    Overall Future Potential: High 5; late-innings reliever (closer)

Realistic Role: 5; late-innings reliever (setup)

Risk Factor/Injury History: Low risk; mature arsenal; limited exposure to upper-minors.

RHP Jose Urena
    "The fastball is a major-league pitch, so he’s going to find success in some role at the end of the day"
    Overall Future Potential: 6; no. 3 starter

Realistic Role: 5; late-innings reliever (setup)

Risk Factor/Injury History: Moderate risk; arm for late-innings work; yet to pitch at Double-A level.

LHP Justin Nicolino
    "Nicolino is a classic overrated prospect in the minors, a command/control profile with very good changeup who can dominate the lower levels but lacks the punch to miss more advanced bats."
    Overall Future Potential: High 5; no. 3 starter

Realistic Role: Low 5; no. 5 starter/middle relief

Risk Factor/Injury History: Moderate risk; 9 Double-A starts

RHP Anthony DeSclafani
    "DeSclafani is going to be a major-league arm, but the ultimate role still seems to be up in the air"
    Overall Future Potential: 5; no. 4 starter

Realistic Role: 5; late-innings reliever (7th inning)

Risk Factor/Injury History: Moderate risk; achieved Double-A level; FB/SL for bullpen.

LHP Brian Flynn
    "Should be able to... chew some innings in back of the rotation role"
    Overall Future Potential: 5; no. 4 starter

Realistic Role: Low 5; no. 5 starter/long relief

Risk Factor/Injury History: Low risk; achieved major-league level

OF Jesus Solorzano
    "sources seem to like the tools but fear the ability to adjust and the approach, so 2014 will be a big test"

Realistic Role: High 4; below-average regular/bench outfielder

Risk Factor/Injury History: High risk; questionable hit tool; yet to play in upper minors.

Prospects on the Rise:
    1. LHP Jarlin Garcia:
    One of the better young arms I saw in short-season ball in 2013, Garcia has a chance to really step forward in full-season ball. The 21-year-old lefty has a good feel for pitching, with a clean and athletic delivery, and a crisp fastball, and as he adds strength and refines his secondary arsenal, he should blossom into a top 10 prospect in this system. I like this arm.

2. 3B J.T. Riddle: Thirteenth round pick in 2013, Riddle didn’t look the part in his professional debut, but reports from instructional league were glowing, as the 22-year-old can spray the ball all over the field and can play on the left side of the infield. Because of his maturity, the Marlins could get aggressive with his development and push him to the Florida State League to start the season, where Riddle might just surprise people with his solid-average skills.

3. SS Javier Lopez: Six-figure talent from the Dominican Republic, Lopez has impact projections, but a long way to go before he starts to actualize on the field. Having watched Lopez several times in 2013, I can see the tools; flashy glove and arm at short and legit bat speed at the plate. The defensive skills need a lot of refinement, and the bat wasn’t ready for the college-heavy New York-Penn League, but as he matures, this is a player to keep tabs on. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lopez is an “On the Rise” type for a few years before he really emerges as a top talent. But I like it.

Top 10 Talents 25 and Under (born 4/1/88 or later)

Jose Fernandez
    Giancarlo Stanton
    Christian Yelich
    Andrew Heaney
    Nathan Eovaldi
    Henderson Alvarez
    Marcell Ozuna
    Colin Moran
    Adeiny Hechavarria
    Jacob Turner

The Marlins' current Top 10 Prospects list lacks the sparkle of years past having graduated four members off the 2013 list. The Marlins U25 however, may be one of the most talented in baseball. One of the most impressive things about this list is that every single member of it will be eligible for it next year and seven of 10 will be eligible for two more years. The difference is that come next year they will all likely be starters on the major-league lineup or in the rotation.
    poop

LHP Justin Nicolino
    "Nicolino is a classic overrated prospect in the minors, a command/control profile with very good changeup who can dominate the lower levels but lacks the punch to miss more advanced bats."
    Yuh

Comment

Hater.
      poop

Comment

Curious, what did they have to say about Avery Romero?

Comment

I think this is pretty correct. I'm assuming they say Marisnick is low risk because worst case scenario he becomes a mini Franklin Gutierrez based on his defense. There's still some kinks in Marisnick's swing (and just overall inconsistency) that have me worried, but he's got good enough potential to keep me interested.

I am surprised by the love for Trevor Williams. Sure he was great in Batavia, but that was Batavia. I remember seeing his stats were pretty bleh his last season at Arizona State after being really good in 2012. I'm not judging the kid since I've barely seen footage of him, but a guy it seems mildly premature to list a guy who posted a mid 4 ERA his last season at ASU as a potential #3 after a few good starts at A- ball. I'm guessing the scouts who have seen him pitch can tell that he has great stuff and his last college season was a bit of an anomaly (basically a first round talent who fell because of an off year).

I was a bit underwhelmed by what I saw from Flynn late last season, but he's still the next guy in line for that #5 rotation spot after Koehler (although Koehler shouldn't last long).

Descalfani is a bit strange in that everybody projects him as a reliever (since that was what he was at Florida), and it's 99.99% likely that is what he becomes at the major league level, but he's been surprisingly good as a starter in our system and has earned his way into that discussion for the lower rotation spots eventually with guys like Flynn/Hand/Conley/Nicolino/etc...Seems likely he's a reliever long term though.

BP seems to have gotten it right, although I'd like K.J Woods and Avery Romero as two guys to watch out for as potential "prospects on the rise" (with a good season Romero could be a lower end top 100 prospect).

Comment

Man Solarzano is still getting pumped. He was 22/23 last year and didn't really light up Greensboro.

It would be pretty fantastic if all those projections happened within next 2 years
            -Heaney # 2 SP
            -Moran - above average 3B starter
            -Marisnick - solid unspectacular regular
            -Flynn or Nicolino - # 5 SP
            -Wittigren, Urena - Front end bullpen
            -DeScalfani - Back end bullpen

That's looking pretty good with Fernandez, Yelich, Eovaldi, Ramos, maybe Stanton, and some of Turner, Hech, Ozuna, Dietrich, Capps, Caminero, Jennings, Dayton, Conley, etc. working out.

Still think 2014 # 2 pick should be advanced college SP. Fernandez, Heaney, 2014 # 2, Eovaldi, and realistically a top top SP prospect for Stanton when eventually moved, could be a real serious rotation come 2016.

Comment

Solorzano is one of those types who could be something which is why alot of people are still high on him. The FO is high on him however think he is more a less a 4th OF who can't hit(In other words Gorkys Hernandez)If he ever learns how to hit instead of just swing at everything he could do something

DeScalfani is gonna be a RP if he ever makes it to the majors with us.

Trevor Williams gets love because of 1 reason-he can throw strikes.We had him on an innings limit last year and this year we will see how he can do. He could move quick through the system too

As for the #2 pick-it is looking like it will be an advanced college arm.While Loria wants Rodon bad,almost 0% chance unless he tells Houston he wants some crazy amount. Hoffman and Beede have the best chance to be the #2 pick and if we decide to go save cash route it would be Aaron Nola,Sean Newcomb or a fast mover. Don't forget we have like 6 of the Top 100 picks so we might try to cut some deals

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                Solorzano is one of those types who could be something which is why alot of people are still high on him.
                lol
                poop

Comment

Working...
                X