• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Reach Deals with Dunn, Stanton, Cishek

Dunn - $1.4M
    Stanton - $6.5M
    Cishek - $3.8M
    --------------------
    as per usual lou pretty much nailed it http://soflamarlins.com/showthread.p...hek#post347312
    Last edited by emkayseven; 01-17-2014, 12:42 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

I think this one is the write up for posterity's sake. I had Stanton 6.5, Cishek 3.9, and Dunn 1. MLBTR's dude did so bad this year.

http://soflamarlins.com/showpost.php...30&postcount=3
    --------------------
    Also, it is an interesting trend that the middle relievers are getting more bucks. I was way off on Dunn even if it's only $400k. That's a huge percentage. This has been gradually rising last few years after guys were getting shafted (remember when Kevin Gregg LOST an arbitration hearing (he was pre saves with Marlins) and got $550,000), but it really seems last year or two real significant strides have been made here to pay the middle relievers. I guess it makes sense given that Boone Logan gets $5 million a year to LOOGY and that data can be thrown around.

Saying that, this help explains the Webb DFA a little bit. He has thrown a lot of innings. I thought that tender was going to be around $1.5, which is totally reasonably, but if I am wrong on the same percentage portion, Webb could have climbed to around $2.1-2.3 land. That starts getting a little iffy with so much bullpen depth. They still should have traded him for anything, but it makes a modicum of sense now if they didn't want to get stuck with that much money for 60-70 innings that would probably be only marginally better than whoever the 5th RHP in the pen ends up being.

Good for the Marlins not to get embarrassed in arbitration hearings. They would have lost Stanton and Cishek with any amount of low balling. Maybe they are learning. (Doubtful)
    Last edited by lou; 01-17-2014, 03:14 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
      I think this one is the write up for posterity's sake. I had Stanton 6.5, Cishek 3.9, and Dunn 1. MLBTR's dude did so bad this year.

http://soflamarlins.com/showpost.php...30&postcount=3
      --------------------
      Also, it is an interesting trend that the middle relievers are getting more bucks. I was way off on Dunn even if it's only $400k. That's a huge percentage. This has been gradually rising last few years after guys were getting shafted (remember when Kevin Gregg LOST an arbitration hearing (he was pre saves with Marlins) and got $550,000), but it really seems last year or two real significant strides have been made here to pay the middle relievers. I guess it makes sense given that Boone Logan gets $5 million a year to LOOGY and that data can be thrown around.

Saying that, this help explains the Webb DFA a little bit. He has thrown a lot of innings. I thought that tender was going to be around $1.5, which is totally reasonably, but if I am wrong on the same percentage portion, Webb could have climbed to around $2.1-2.3 land. That starts getting a little iffy with so much bullpen depth. They still should have traded him for anything, but it makes a modicum of sense now if they didn't want to get stuck with that much money for 60-70 innings that would probably be only marginally better than whoever the 5th RHP in the pen ends up being.

Good for the Marlins not to get embarrassed in arbitration hearings. They would have lost Stanton and Cishek with any amount of low balling. Maybe they are learning. (Doubtful)
      The think with Webb tho really is more bout not offering a tender. While he would have been more than 1.5 million-it is not like he would have got anything from us. All we had to do is tender him a deal and then we could have dealt him for 2 prospects to prolly 5/6 teams.

Cishek is about 99% likely to be dealt by the trade deadline tho,no chance he is hear next year making tons of cash with Wittgren and Suggs sitting in AA. Hopefully he is lights out and/or a big name team loses a closer because we will be able to get a great package for him

Great job tho on the projections like usual
      Last edited by tjfla; 01-17-2014, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        All we had to do is tender him a deal and then we could have dealt him for 2 prospects to prolly 5/6 teams.
        "Prolly" not.

Comment

Still, Marlins general manager Dan Jennings said Thursday in a radio interview that the team is interested in getting a long-term deal done with Stanton, and sooner would be better than later.

"We have had conversations with his representatives," Jennings told Jim Bowden and Holden Kusher on Sirius/XM's "Inside Pitch." "Anytime you're looking to long-term someone, certainly the sooner the better."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#storylink=cpy

lolololol

Comment

Hasn't sooner past? lol

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
              Hasn't sooner past? lol
              Yes. But I suspect there is still a "window open" where he'd take a 5/$100 extension (or maybe 4/$75), nothing longer than that though. He did get paid, but if its crazy guaranteed money and very limited FA years so he can still hit it hard in his prime, he has to take that to secure his future too. That is still a "deal" for the Marlins based on Stanton's projected output and they should really do that anyways, but clearly we are out of the conversation of the arbitration buyout discount. Total idiots.

In the 5/$100 scenario, he would basically be making 9/$108 (or 8/$83) prior to free agency. Comparables.

Adam Jones is making 11/$96 (he signed this after arb 2…which was lower than Stanton's arb 1)
              Carlos Gonzalez is making 9/$82.5 (this is the best comp for his service time/time of signing)
              Andrew McCutchen is making 9/$67.5 (including his 9th year option, this would be 2nd best comp)
              Justin Upton is making 8/$53 (then is a free agent)
              Jay Bruce is making 9/$52.5, and they hold an option for $13 million after that (10/$65.5)
              Ryan Braun is making 9/$47 (but he came a few years earlier, so not as good of a comp).

I mean, that is embarrassing. It could really be a scenario he is double that Upton/Bruce for the same time. Yea Stanton is better and should slot higher, but anyway you look at it is this is a $20-30 million mistake if they do end up signing him to a 4-5 year extension compared to signing him 12-24 months ago. It's a testament to Stanton that he is so good that it's STILL a "good deal" for the Marlins even with making such an enormous mistake. But this is just outrageous for a small market team.

It's just crazy ownership demands Bell, Buck, Dobbs, and C. Lee, and ignores Stanton. BTW, the Bell, Buck, Dobbs, and Stanton's contracts cost about what the Pirates are paying McCutchen. Think about that. Throw in Ozzie and we're real close to Cargo money. Smart investing Loria!!!!!! Could have had Stanton on the books 2014-2019!

Comment

Working...
              X