Marlins Trade Morrison to Mariners for RHP Carter Capps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
    Is this really the best we could get for LoMo? Seems like a terrible return at first instance.

LoMo sucks. Did you think we were going to get fucking Joe DiMaggio for him?

AMF, LoMo.

Comment

• Random story, I was introduced to Keith last night and he said hey to me today. Carry on.
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
        Really short sighted considering how tough Marlins Park is on hitters. Team should acquire FA make good pitching and boost value for deadline trades (a la San Diego) rather than actively trade for it. Sign pitchers, inflate their value, trade for position players.

Whatever, this team is not run by smart people.
        Why would we run our team like San Diego? What have they accomplished in the past decade?
        STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
          Random story, I was introduced to Keith last night and he said hey to me today. Carry on.
          Starstruck tourist is the new way to get a job.

-Monster.com, 2014 Preview

Comment

• I wasn't starstruck at all
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by FishTale
              This is a great trade. You guys will realize this once Capps settles in. His stuff is elite, he's only 23, with good minor league track record, and MLB experience. Not easy to find, especially for what we're giving up.
              I don't know who you are but I appreciate your optimism. Also I can now sing the DuckTales song about Fish. My life is better thanks to you.
              There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                Really short sighted considering how tough Marlins Park is on hitters. Team should acquire FA make good pitching and boost value for deadline trades (a la San Diego) rather than actively trade for it. Sign pitchers, inflate their value, trade for position players.

Whatever, this team is not run by smart people.
                But other teams are and understand park factors. Not sure I like SD's latest project (JJ) $8M guaranteed is too much.

Comment

• With trade rumors swirling for weeks around Marlins first baseman/outfielder and social media superstar Logan Morrison, The Buzzer asked him to write a column on what it's like to be traded; what are the emotions a player goes through leading up to a deal. Here are his thoughts.

Below is what he wrote before it was announced he was traded to the Seattle Mariners on Wednesday.
                  If you're reading this, I have already been traded ...

Doesn't have the same effect when it's not Morgan Freeman reading it in your head and it's not life and death. Either way, this is the most difficult thing I have ever had to write, but I owe it to myself and the fans to try.

This is supposed to be about perspective. How am I feeling at this interesting time in my life? But, the thing about feelings is, I don't know much about expressing them. My family would definitely back me up on this. Now I have to put it in writing for the world.

One side of me — the side I know I'm supposed to listen to — is telling me, "Do your job. Don't listen to the rumors!"

Every baseball player has an offseason job - to come back to spring training in the best shape possible and be ready to play Day 1.

The other side of me — the emotional side — is going crazy! I have been a Marlin since they signed me in 2006. I've been going to the same back fields in Jupiter, Fla., since I was 18 years old! The people who've helped me become a man, both on and off the field, are employed mostly by the Marlins. I hope those people know who they are because otherwise this thank you will fall on deaf ears. I am forever in your debt!

They helped a young boy achieve his lifelong dream to be a Major League Baseball player! They were there for me in the toughest time of my life when my father passed away in 2010.

People have speculated that I hold a grudge toward the Marlins for things that have happened in the past. I assure you that this isn't the case! Did we always see eye to eye? No, but when I look back on my time I will think far less about the bad times and far more about the good.

Contrary to public opinion, owner Jeffery Loria has been great and generous to my family in our greatest time of need. He let us use his plane to go to my father's funeral in Kansas City. Then (president of baseball operations) Mike Hill, (general manager) Dan Jennings and (president) David Samson attended the funeral. Obviously, they didn't have to do that. So, a special thank you to them as well.

Now, for the men I had the absolute pleasure of competing with day in day out: from Dan Uggla and Cody Ross, who taught me how to play in the big league, to my closest friends Scott Cousins, Bryan Petersen, Giancarlo Stanton, Ricky Nolasco and Gregg Dobbs. There are many others who have helped me immensely along the way, but I would get carpal tunnel if I mentioned all of them. I named these guys because it adds weight to how much they mean to me.
                  These are lifelong relationships and impressions that I will never forget. You lean on your teammates for advice on things from baseball matters to relationships with wives and girlfriends. I can honestly say that I love them with all my heart. They were and always will be a part of my family.

This is what will be the hardest thing for me. I'm not sure I can explain this, but when you grind, sweat and bleed for one common goal, you hurt for them when they struggle, you cheer for them when they succeed. Not because you have to, because you want to.

This is the beauty of the game. This is why I love coming to the field and competing every day. I will miss my current teammates a lot. I have told you all of these things to put you in my shoes, to see through my eyes.

I feel sad, because I won't be able to compete with Giancarlo (I still call him Mike in real life). I won't get to talk to (Marlins special assistant to the president and MLB Hall of Famer) Andre Dawson in the clubhouse. I won't be able to laugh and joke with David Samson before batting practice.

I'm angry because I wasn't able to stay healthy enough to hold a trophy over my head and spray champagne in my teammates face.

I feel anxious because, I don't know where I'll end up. I don't believe I fear the unknown in this case. I think I'm just excited to find out where I'll be. I want to get it over with.

The rumors affect my family more than me. For those who don't know, I was raised a military brat. So, I am used to the gypsy life style. My wife has lived in Jupiter for nine years. She established roots that were just starting to blossom. She will have a harder time leaving than I will.

My sister-in-law moved down there to be a nurse, but more importantly to be with my wife. Now we will be leaving her by her lonesome. I feel more than terrible about this.

We all knew that this was a possibility, but it still sneaks up on you like finals to underachieving college kid.

Lastly, I want to mention the fans who stuck with me and the team through thick and thin.

I will miss the M-O-R-R-I-S-O-N chant, the screaming for autographs as we leave the stadium, the people who open the doors for us in and out of the stadium and clubhouse, the PR people, community foundation and the clubhouse attendants who make it so easy for us to go out and play every day.

I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. You have meant so much to this boy turned man.

As I read back over this, I realize that I am pretty terrible at writing about serious stuff. Sorry for wasting your time!
                  http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/stor...ammates-121113

Comment

• what a dick

Comment

• That was nice but he also did this last night (since been deleted). Guy made a terrible joke but probably not the best thing to come back at him mocking him and insinuating he is gay like it's a bad thing.

Comment

• I thought it was refreshing to hear an athlete speak so honestly about his feelings after a trade. A lot of times fans may downplay the impact such moves have on someone's life because of how the majority of players shrug off anything, call it "just business," and maintain their "macho" profile for the media, public, and their peers. That letter sheds a lot of light on how much a simple trade affects one's mentality, family, friendships, etc. I have a lot more respect for him after that - was definitely not expecting that at all. You wonder why more players just can't be honest like this. But Lomo may the nutcase outlier, who knows. I will be rooting for him in Seattle.
                        STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Was there ever really a "M-O-R-R-I-S-O-N" chant?

Comment

• That one time he hit into the home run porch.

I think LoMo meant "that one time there was a M-O-R-R-I-S-O-N chant."

Comment

Working...
                            X