Marlins Sign Garrett Jones to Two-year Contract Worth $12M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Sign Garrett Jones to Two-year Contract Worth $12M

Well boys, looks like LoMo is done as a Marlin.

I think he might play out this contract
    This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

isn't the contract for under $8M

Comment

Yes, this is why we don't let Fritz make threads.

Comment

Oops, that's what I get for waking up at 6:00am.
        This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

"We obviously know about his splits and I know in a platoon situation where he doesn't get 500 at-bats he's struggled more being consistent," Hill added. "In years when he's been able to get more than 500 at-bats, we feel like the splits are a little more even and the production has gone up. In those years he's put up good numbers."

The Marlins did not specifically tell Jones how often he would play against left-handers, but he's not anticipating a straight platoon.

"They said I'm going to get substantial playing time so I would assume getting some lefties in there as well," said Jones, who in 2013 totaled 440 plate appearances, but only 23 off left-handers. "I'm excited for that, just to be able to get some at-bats off lefties and be in there on a regular basis…and hopefully do some damage and prove I can hit lefties and righties."
          So yeah, about that platoon

lol

lololololol

LOLOLOLOL

HAHAAHHA FUCK

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...0,602391.story

Hopefully it's just jibber-jabber but you seriously never know with this FO

Comment

"We obviously know about his splits and I know in a platoon situation where he doesn't get 500 at-bats he's struggled more being consistent," Hill added. "In years when he's been able to get more than 500 at-bats, we feel like the splits are a little more even and the production has gone up. In those years he's put up good numbers."
            he's gotten 500 at-bats once ever and it's his 2nd worst year of his career

this quote is amazing

Comment

Yea his splits don't say that. He is not more consistent, unless its consistently can't OPS .700 against lefties.

The Pirates probably went a little overboard with only 23 PA against LHP last year, but you probably don't want him getting over 100.

I would imagine this is jibber jabber with twitter posts of Rugg taking balls at 1B and their "interest" in Delmon. I suspect jones has very few starts against lefties (and soft tossers at that) but maybe they keep him on for LOOGYs sometimes.

Comment

he's a career .200/.259/.383 hitter in innings 7-9 (.272/.335/.498 in 1-3, .285/.342/.481 in 4-6), I imagine that's the LOOGY effect

Comment

Absolutely. Sometimes you just can't take him out. Doesn't seem to have stopped the Pirates though. 23 is impressive. If the Marlins did that, that's a whole lot of Dobbs. I think I'd stick with jones.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                    Absolutely. Sometimes you just can't take him out. Doesn't seem to have stopped the Pirates though. 23 is impressive. If the Marlins did that, that's a whole lot of Dobbs. I think I'd stick with jones.
                    Why would that result in a whole lot of Dobbs?

Comment

Because in that scenario, Jones is being removed every game once he gets LOOGY'd and Dobbs is who is going to mostly come in the way the team is configured.

Comment

But Dobbs is a lefty too.
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Someone has to play 1B after he's removed.

If you're keeping him at 23pa, that means he's getting pinch-hit for in the 6th, 7th inning frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                            But Dobbs is a lefty too.
                            A professional lefty

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                              Someone has to play 1B after he's removed.

If you're keeping him at 23pa, that means he's getting pinch-hit for in the 6th, 7th inning frequently.
                              There are other guys on the team who can play 1B. The right-handed hitter pinch-hitting for him will probably just stay in the game. Dobbs is just going to pinch-hit against a right-handed pitcher occasionally. I really wish that Dobbs wasn't on this team actually.

Comment

Working...
                              X