Miami Marlins 2013 Arbitration Eligible Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami Marlins 2013 Arbitration Eligible Players

Here is a list of the arbitration eligible Marlins with their projected 2014 salaries courtesy of Matt Schwartz of MLBTraderumors.

Giancarlo Stanton (3.118): $4.8MM
    Steve Cishek (2.143, Super Two): $3.2MM
    Kevin Slowey (5.053): $1.8MM
    Justin Ruggiano (3.019): $1.8MM
    Logan Morrison (3.069): $1.7MM
    Ryan Webb (4.029): $1.5MM
    Mike Dunn (3.079): $1.4MM
    Chris Coghlan (3.171): $800K
    Koyie Hill (5.087): $500K

This guy is usually pretty close, but I think Giancarlo will be closer to $7M.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

I think Lou is the resident arbitration estimate expert.

But my thoughts are:
    low for Stanton
    high for Cishek
    Slowey seems low for the service time and past numbers but I have no idea how his injury plays
    Ruggiano, Morrison, Webb and Dunn look right
    Coghlan seems low
    Hill seems low

Comment

I am nowhere near as informed as I was a few years ago and really have given up this past season because I can't stand that shmuck running the team, but on a quick eye ball:

Stanton - low, I think $6+. That is a lot of home runs. And he is averaging 4.5 WAR over 162 games for his career. It ain't going that low despite his "down" year and injuries. I figured $9 before the year was realistic, but this knocks him down to $6-7, not sub $5. Will be shocked if he only gets $4.8. And if he is that low, they need to sign him to a longterm contract ASAP as that is huge huge huge to deflect future costs before the HR barrage happens again. You'd hope with a 6 year contract.

Cishek - low. He has really been outstanding and save-relievers have been completely insane the last few years. I can see him asking for $4 or so in arbitration, so it would depend on where the Marlins try to low ball him. If they come in $3 or under, they'll probably lose, but they probably have a chance of winning $3.25-3.5 land. I think this is a good gamble for Cishek to take it to arbiters and stick it to Marlins for the extra payday. It will also set him up really nice with a win for the next 3 years of arbitration pushing salary now. Go for broke Steve.

Coghlan - I think low, maybe by double. He has a lot of service time to be getting such a low tender, especially since he has climbed club controlled land a little bit with his ROY salary bump. Seriously, why is he that far off Morrison? Morrison has double the HR and some slugging, Coghlan has everything else. This would be dangerous for the Marlins to take to arbitration because of service time. However I don't think we'll ever know as Coghlan isn't going to get say, $1.6 on open market (hypothetical arbitration tender), so Marlins can just low ball him or DFA him. I'm hoping thats why this guy has him so low. Take it or leave it "under $1 million" should be the Marlins offer, and it's probably Coghlan's best interest to take it and hope for 500 PA at 3B as that is a good opportunity for him.

Dunn - No saves, to high. $1 mil tops.

Slowey, Ruggiano, Webb, Morrison, Hill - I think all of them are +/- $200k from the projections so they'll all settle if the Marlins tender.

I think we'll see Stanton ($6.5-$5.1) and Cishek ($3.9-$3) go to arbitration and both win continuing the Marlins worst track record in baseball in such proceedings, Slowey and Hill DFA'd, Webb traded for a AA reliever, Dunn come in closer to $1, and Ruggiano, Morrison, and Coghlan settle for around those figures as they have no leverage at all but are useful at those prices for 1 more year to see what happens with them.

Comment

If we get Stanton for $4.5M, that would be a major victory for Loria.

Comment

Working...
        X