Beinfest Fired; Mike Hill New Pres. of Baseball Ops, Dan Jennings new GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juan C. Rodriguez @JCRMarlinsbeat
    Loria also fires special assistant Jim Fleming. Said in statement will have more details on front office structure in coming days. #marlins

Comment

Loria will be the front office. In an effort to save money cause he is paying 2 managers, Beinfest now and who ever else.

Comment

Dan Jennings promoted to GM and possibly VP

It is gonna be pretty much the same FO with more attention paid to the minors and scouting.

Comment

Can't believe our inside source didn't get this to us sooner.
          poop

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            Dan Jennings promoted to GM and possibly VP

It is gonna be pretty much the same FO with more attention paid to the minors and scouting.
            Baseball Operations. Hill is still GM (for now).
            --------------------
            The Marlins organization has decided to make some changes at the helm of our Baseball Operations. Effective immediately, I have relieved Larry Beinfest of his duties so that he may pursue other opportunities.

Larry has worked with me for 13 years, making huge contributions to our efforts and serving as a partner to me in the process. I wish him nothing but the best and know he will make a great addition wherever he lands.

We have also relieved Jim Fleming of his duties as Special Assistant to the President of Baseball Operations. We thank him for his service to our team and wish him well.
            I will soon be making further announcements in terms of our new structure in baseball operations.

-- Jeffrey Loria, Marlins owner
            Jeffrey doing his own press releases too lol
            Last edited by Miamarlin21; 09-27-2013, 03:51 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
            LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

The new structure is Mike Hill gone too. Dan Jennings wants the GM job and Loria seems to like what he does when it comes to scouting so. Beinfest will get a job quick-GM atleast

Sooner? I think everyone saw this coming for a week or 2 now. The Dobbs signing was just the last straw

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                Baseball Operations. Hill is still GM (for now).
                --------------------

Jeffrey doing his own press releases too lol
                That's hilarious.

Comment

I feel bad for Beinfest, he is missing Star Wars night tonight. And the roof is open!
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

This move is shocking. SHOCKING I tell ya.

And I agree with bobbob. Impossible to evaluate Beinfest as a GM consider so many moves in recent years were pushed by Loria so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                      This move is shocking. SHOCKING I tell ya.

And I agree with bobbob. Impossible to evaluate Beinfest as a GM consider so many moves in recent years were pushed by Loria so hard.
                      I don't think anyone knows how many of those moves were Loria though. I agree that it's tough to evaluate what he did. Assuming he had power at some point though, his resume is not all that impressive.

Comment

But it's not just about Loria telling him what to do. It's about him being forced to make moves on a budget due to Loria's unwillingness (or inability, if you want to be charitable) to spend.

For example, do we really know how much the team's unwillingness to do early arbitration buyouts is Loria's fault vs. Beinfest's? If Beinfest was unwilling to give Cabrera an extension early, that's a huge black mark against him. But if that was Loria's call, it's really hard to judge everything that Loria did from that point on with regards to Cabrera.
                        poop

Comment

If we kept Miguel Cabrera, I think we make the playoffs some point between 08-10. It's not just a matter of Loria's lingering but how much he was held by payroll.

It's very hard to say what he'd do in a normal circumstance.

Comment

Any word on Samson? I wish he was part of the axing as well.

Comment

Having somehow served as owner Jeffrey Loria's top baseball executive now for 12 years, what Larry Beinfest deserves is a new Corvette, a gold watch and a Lifetime Achievement Award. Not a firing.
                              But a firing he gets, as Loria's soap operatic world makes another spin at the conclusion of yet another sorry Marlins season. Because that's how Loria rolls.
                              Clearly, the two most thankless tasks in baseball are cleaning the tobacco spit out of the dugouts each night, and working under Loria. Probably not in that order, either.
                              Following last November's fire-sale torching of the franchise, the obvious logical question is: How can you possibly fire Beinfest now, especially with the excellent talent that the Marlins' smart baseball people brought back in those deals?
                              Believe it or not, there is an answer to that question other than “Because Loria is a toad.”
                              MORE MIAMI TURNOVER
                              Marlins fire longtime president Larry Beinfest
                              Oh, don't get me wrong, he's still a toad. But here's the deal: There has been a growing rift in the Marlins front office for at least a couple of years now between Beinfest and Dan Jennings.
                              As president, Beinfest was in charge of baseball operations.
                              As vice-president of player personnel, Jennings was in charge of … acquiring player personnel.
                              When men in those two positions butt heads, well, something has to change. And, oh, boy, were they ever butting heads. As one baseball person described it Friday, it had reached the point where it seemed that personnel moves were being made – or not being made – simply to spite the other guy.
                              So this is where it all comes back to Loria.
                              The obvious question becomes not “How can you fire Beinfest?” but, rather, “How could this festering rift be allowed to continue for so long?”
                              So, with Loria becoming more and more involved in baseball decisions this year, and Beinfest by all accounts finally becoming more and more weary of dealing with the owner, Jennings emerges as the winner of the power struggle.
                              And the Marlins wind up with more egg on their face.
                              As if they already hadn't accumulated enough egg on their face to fry, scramble or poach a decade's worth of Grand Slam breakfasts at your local neighborhood Denny's.
                              As colleague Danny Knobler reported Friday afternoon, Jennings will ascend to become Loria's No. 1 baseball man. Beyond that, Michael Hill, who had the general manager title, is expected to remain as well. Hill's area will be more “rules guy”, expert on waivers, that niche.
                              And President David Samson, that walking organizational virus? Who knows? People close to the Marlins say he's hardly been heard from over the past few months. There is rampant speculation that when Loria and Samson's mother divorced, part of the settlement included lifetime employment for lil' David. Some now think maybe the paychecks will keep coming but Samson finally will have the stitches removed from his baseball, if you get the drift.
                              Stay tuned.
                              Only thing we know for sure today is that following last year's lie-filled, bait-and-switch-palooza, Loria's Marlins are in far better shape than the owner deserves. In Jose Fernandez and Giancarlo Stanton, they have two superstars. Outfielder Christian Yelich, the club's first-round pick in 2010, isn't far behind.
                              For that, Loria has his baseball people to thank. Baseball people who consistently have spun magic from the owner's manure for more than a decade.
                              Jennings is a very good baseball man. And until Loria betrays him, the Marlins will continue to get better.
                              As for Beinfest, he's got two years remaining on his contract and a rich experience of working for and surviving a crazed lunatic. And you know what that positions him to do? Head straight toward Arte Moreno's Angels to replace GM Jerry Dipoto.
                              Just an idea.
                              Otherwise, Beinfest could always collect Marlins money over the next two years and buy himself that gold watch. Good grief.
                              http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...gly-head-again

Comment

Man, working for Loria really is the best possible thing for Beinfest's image possible. It really is. Nobody is going to print a negative word about the guy.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X