Grant Dayton, LHP
    Danny Black, INF
    Mark Canha, 1B
    Yordy Cabrera, INF/OF
    Jose Urena, RHP
    Josh Hodges, RHP
    Bren Keys, OF
    Michael Brady, RHP
    Last edited by Miamarlin21; 08-20-2013, 01:40 AM.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Don't envision the Marlins resigning any of those free agents, except maybe Dobbs and an attempt at Qualls. Slowey and Hill will be non-tendered and they will attempt to trade Webb.

Comment

Dobbs will get re-signed, he's the new Helms.

Comment

Qualls and Slowey could be back depending on the price

As for the 40 man,Ceda/Silverio could be gone or 60 Day DL. Wall,Brown,Mahoney,Velazquez are likely gone

Hand and Caminero are prolly safe unless they get destroyed the last month

Keys,Dayton,Urena,Solorzano are likely to be put on the 40 Man. Perio/Hodges maybe but doubtful

Comment

I don't see any of the position players going in the Rule 5 draft (who's seriously going to stick Keys and his .052 ISO in A+ ball on a MLB roster? Or Solorzano's .774 OPS in GREENSBORO) so I don't think it's a big deal to to put them on the 40. That said, most everyone else in the minors isn't worth a spot either so might as well.

I'm thinking Hand takes Jennings spot in the pen next year.

And I definitely expect Dobbs to be back

Comment

Turner has a MLB contract of $1 million next year if you want to add that. Hechavarria is going to make somewhere around $1.5 (give or take a few hundred thousand) also as the Marlins can't shoot him all the way back down to club controlled and have to give him at least some percentage of his preceding year salary (which was $1,750,000 this year).
            --------------------
            They aren't going to keep Qualls, Slowey or Webb with the emergence of all of these arms. They'll DFA Slowey as no one is paying his arb and Webb will be traded for a AA version of Webb.

SP is obvious - Fernandez, Turner, Alvarez, Eovaldi, Koehler (let's say they are smart this time and bring up Heaney in June, or at least 3 weeks after the season starts)

RP - Cishek, Dunn, Ramos and let Jennings, Flynn, Conley, DeSclafani, Wall, Ames, Hand, Caminero, Dyson, Sanabia and street free agents battle for the rest.
            Last edited by lou; 08-20-2013, 03:28 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
              I don't see any of the position players going in the Rule 5 draft (who's seriously going to stick Keys and his .052 ISO in A+ ball on a MLB roster? Or Solorzano's .774 OPS in GREENSBORO) so I don't think it's a big deal to to put them on the 40. That said, most everyone else in the minors isn't worth a spot either so might as well.

I'm thinking Hand takes Jennings spot in the pen next year.

And I definitely expect Dobbs to be back
              The thing that teams like about both Keys and Solorzano is that they can play All 3 OF spots and still have some potential. Both could be on a good team as a 4th OF who can pinch run/play defense in the 9th inning. I would give Keys the edge if they only put 1 on the 40 man however alot of the scouts still love Solorzano so who knows? It's like the Caminero issue a few years ago,we left him off our 40 man and every team was rumored to want him however no one took him due to to the command issues. The next year we put him on the 40 Man

Rather have them both on it tho then Pierre/Jordan Brown/Matt Diaz or Kearns tho

Comment

Just seeing how teams work year to year I really would be shocked if Keys and Solorzano were not put on the roster.

Comment

I'm not saying they wouldn't be, but from a strategy stand point it's not needed. The two points of the 40 man roster is for either depth to call up to the 25 man roster or to not lose guys to other teams. Neither will likely be in the majors next year, and neither will likely be drafted in the Rule V. However, like I also said, it's not like there's anyone else that should be ahead of them.

Something else to think of too is MILB FA. I was rather disappointed we didn't put Jose Alvarez on the 40 man last offseason and let him walk as a FA. He's had a pretty decent season for DET (Great in the minors, okay in the majors) and just 24.

Comment

Our minor league free agents:

New Orleans

Jonathan Albaladejo
                    Jay Jackson
                    James Leverton
                    Zach Phillips
                    Adam Reifer

Audry Ciriaco
                    Nick Green
                    Kevin Kouzmanoff
                    Ben Lasater
                    Chris Valaika
                    Bryan Petersen
                    Jake Smolinski

Jacksonville Suns

Ramon Benjamin
                    Chris Gutierrez
                    Alex Burg
                    Michael Main

Jupiter Hammerheads
                    Miguel Fermin

Comment

If I am projecting

Hitters - Brantly, Mathis, Skipworth, Morrison, Dietrich, Solano, Hechavarria, Yelich, Ozuna, Marisnick, Stanton, and Ruggiano (I think they pay his arbitration which won't be bad) are locks. I think Jensen is a very very likely lock too as they have space and can sit on the power and see what happens. Lucas is probably also very likely as they will surely bring him back and compete for the 25th man and just cut in camp for his replacement if not. That's 14.

Pitchers - Fernandez, Turner, Eovaldi, Alvarez, Koehler, Cishek, Dunn, Ramos, Jennings, Ames, Caminero, Dayton, Hand, Olmos, Urena, and Wall. That's 16.

I think the above is very conservative of what they need to protect. They have at least 10 spots open. If I had to protect 10, I would imagine

-Veteran FA catcher
                      -Coghlan/Veteran FA 3B
                      -Dobbs/Professional FA AB

And then the "lets protect them because we gotta protect somebody" class - Ceda, Dyson, Hatcher, Keys, Mahoney, Sanabia, and Solarzano. They can easily create space here for any street FA who makes the bullpen or otherwise as Dyson, Hatcher, and Sanabia aren't a core prospect and better arms are coming. I think they protect Keys and Solarzano as some crap last place team could make them their 5th OF and they love doing that to these guys (Mattison). They have the space.

Comment

I could see Hand being traded if they sign a veteran guy for the fifth spot or he doesn't win in Spring Training.

Lucas may be taken off and re-signed like they did with Kearns this past off-season. Sanabia has an option left and will be making near the minimum so he could stay for depth.

Ceda, to me, is removed from the 40. He's been hurt for two years. His velo has been down and got rocked before being shutdown in his rehab assignment. They could take him off the roster and maybe bring him back to a minor league deal.

Hatcher hasn't been that great in his time with the Marlins. He has had good Triple-A numbers but he will be out of options as well so I could see him getting taken off this off-season or in spring training.
                        --------------------
                        JC Rodriguez's thoughts on a Giancarlo extension:

Juan C. Rodriguez ‏@JCRMarlinsbeat 33s
                        If they offer after this season, I'd go 6/95. Hanley got 6/70 at same pt RT @Thrill21: What do you think the Marlins will offer? 6/80?
                        Last edited by Miamarlin21; 08-20-2013, 08:03 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Juan is 100% in the right ballpark for a Stanton extension. He's not going to want an 8 year deal like someone said they heard a few weeks ago as that will impact when he becomes a free agent for a potential $200+ mil deal.

6 years, $80-100. How low can they go. I think 6/$90 with health incentives gets it done quickly.

Comment

Does anyone think they try to sign some free agents or perhaps give extensions to other players on the team along with Stanton? What's the projected payroll for next year?

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                              Juan is 100% in the right ballpark for a Stanton extension. He's not going to want an 8 year deal like someone said they heard a few weeks ago as that will impact when he becomes a free agent for a potential $200+ mil deal.

6 years, $80-100. How low can they go. I think 6/$90 with health incentives gets it done quickly.
                              That was me that heard that. I do agree with you, makes more sense for both parties.

Comment

Working...
                              X