2013 MLB Season Game Thread: July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So an umpire failed a drug test and got axed:

In what's believed to be the first dismissal of its kind, Major League Baseball reportedly has fired umpire Brian Runge, a 14-year veteran, for a drug violation. Two sources for the Associated Press say that Runge, 43, failed at least one drug test and failed to comply with an agreement with MLB that had allowed him to stay on staff.
    Unique because he was a third-generation MLB ump, Runge worked the All-Star Game in 2012 and was the plate umpire for three no-hitters, including Philip Humber's perfect game in 2012. Runge didn't work a game in 2012 after Aug. 30 because of a knee injury, though he did work spring training games this season, along with some games in Triple-A. MLB announced in June that Runge was no longer on the major league staff — but has never given a reason why.
    Ben Walker of the A.P. writes:
    Like players, umpires are subject to random drug tests. Oakland pitcher Bartolo Colon, Philadelphia catcher Carlos Ruiz and San Diego catcher Yasmani Grandal all missed time this season because of drug suspensions imposed last year. In addition, 26 players have been suspended this year under the minor league drug program.
    This is a tragic shame, not only for Brian Runge personally, but also given the Runge family's history in MLB. His dad, Paul Runge, was a National League umpire from 1973 to 1997 who worked four World Series before becoming the NL's executive director of umpires. Grandfather Ed Runge umpired from 1954 to 1970 and worked three World Series.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...003433422.html
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

I mean, what kind of drug are we talking about? Steroids since he was injured? Or coke?

If it's steroids, that's fucking retarded tha tit's illegal for umps

Comment

Twins gave Mo Rivera a rocking chair made out of bats he's broken. Pretty Awesome.

Comment

That's amazing

I wish he wouldn't retire though he's the only Yankee I've ever liked
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

lol

LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Yasiel Puig ran into a wall today.

We're going to have like 900 columns in the next few days about how he can't change the way he plays.
              poop

Comment

you've got to do things like that when you play a team like the Ravens
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

You get a C- for that because you are a teacher.
                  poop

Comment

Blackout Pact said he laughed at that. I've never know Blackout Pact to admit to laughing, so I give myself an A.

Also, I'm not a teacher anymore.

Comment

As of today - July 4, 2013 - the Boston Red Sox and Pittsburgh Pirates hold the best records in their respective leagues. The last time these two teams held the best record in their respective leagues at the same time - July 4, 1903.
                      kinda cool

Comment

So, how do we feel about the "Yasiel Puig should be an All Star" debate?
                        poop

Comment

I like watching him and I don't really give a fuck about what's fair so I hope he makes it.

Comment

I don't care either way, but I find the "baseball needs to give fans a reason to watch the All-Star game" argument a bit silly. Especially because it was the same argument people made last year regarding Harper, and they set record-low ratings anyways.
                            poop

Comment

eh 1 month in the bigs not enough.
                              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

if the fans wanna vote him in, cool

put him in the last vote and let him win it there

Comment

Working...
                                X