X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff, boys. Color me excited.
    --------------------
    Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
    Some strikeout pitchers translates into high pitch counts. I like him getting ground balls and some strikeouts when needed
    Striking guys out is always better than not striking them out.
    Last edited by Mainge; 06-29-2013, 10:58 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

We're now 11-7 when Jeff Mathis starts and our ERA when he is catching is 2.57. It's 4.31 when he's not catching.

Comment

Just saw that we won. STANTON.

The first CG of the season comes on June 30th

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee

And on a no-TV game. Weeeeeeeeeeeee

We've win 15 of our last 25

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          The first CG of the season comes on June 30th

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee
          there's still 9 other teams without complete games (Atlanta, Baltimore, Colorado, Houston, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Minnesota, San Francisco, and Tampa Bay)

it was June 29 also

Comment

I typed "we've win"

weeeeeeEEEEEE
            --------------------
            Originally posted by Hugg View Post
            there's still 9 other teams without complete games (Atlanta, Baltimore, Colorado, Houston, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Minnesota, San Francisco, and Tampa Bay)
            Pitching has been our strength this year weeeeeeeeeee
            Last edited by Namaste; 06-29-2013, 11:20 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Including this season, team ERA for team's Mathis is on is 0.70 lower when he catches than when he doesn't.

I feel like I'm fine with him being on this team with these young pitchers. He's caught all of Turner's starts. Jose's ERA is under 2 when Mathis catches him.
              Last edited by HUGG; 06-29-2013, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Yeah Mathis catching has my full blessing. At some point these #'s start meaning something.

Can anyone come up with an upside to Brantly being our starter for the remainder of the year?

Great post, Hugg.

Comment

Brantly has some upside and a chance to contribute in a meaningful way in the future and Mathis doesn't. We're going to finish in last place either way so I think Brantly should be getting starts against most RHP's.

This coming from someone that thinks Brantly sucks ass.

Comment

If Mathis helps the development of our pitching staff, isn't that a pretty big contribution in a meaningful way to our future?

Like a million times more than Brantly...who sucks.

Comment

Maybe if you think this random one month sample is meaningful and if you believe whatever magic Mathis is doing will be a permanent development that stays with these guys for the duration of their careers, then sure.

I don't buy it.

Comment

Correlation doesn't mean causation

Comment

I don't like cERA as a stat because I feel like it's highly dependent on the pitchers.

Also, Mathis was never around to catch guys like LeBlanc, etc. earlier in the year. I think Jose Fernandez is going to pitch well regardless of who's catching although there is a certain value to the catcher catching.

For what it's worth, cERA aside, the metrics really like Mathis this year defensively. In minimal playing time, fangraphs has him as a +3.

All in all, I'm okay with Mathis as a backup but he plays way too much. If Brantly sucks (he does), the organization needs to find a better catcher. Maybe they can spend some money and sign a free agent to fill the spot next year.

Comment

The developing pitchers thing was a stretch, probably a dumb comment.

But this happens with Mathis every season (not to the extreme it is this year...which will even out, small sample size). And going through the yearly splits, it doesn't look like he was anyone's personal catcher, his starts are spread out through the pitching staff each year.

Code:
                                       Jeff Mathis   Teammates
                                           IC  ERA     IC  ERA  DIFF
                            2007   LAA  467.0 3.89  968.0 4.39  0.50
                            2008   LAA  793.1 3.65  658.0 4.40  0.75
                            2009   LAA  657.0 3.99  788.0 4.84  0.85
                            2010   LAA  553.2 3.67  895.2 4.27  0.60
                            2011   LAA  698.0 3.25  767.0 3.86  0.61
                            2012   TOR  532.2 4.39  911.0 4.79  0.40
                            Total      3701.2 3.77 4987.2 4.43  0.66
                            It has to have something to do with him right?

Comment

He calls a great game and is rock solid defensively. Maybe he can teach Brantly too. You see a diff in all the pitchers when he is behind the plate.

Comment

I feel morally obligated to bring up he's hitting .121 and has a career average of .195 during this conversation.

Comment

Working...
                                X