No announcement yet.

Turner Throws 1st Career CG, Marlins Win 7-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle, boys.

Comment

that's not how family works

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
        If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle, boys.
        I forgot that we're not allowed to say positive things about the team because of Loria.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
          Brantly has done okay against RHP (.272/.329/.316/.645) and all he needs to do is be able to hit righties. He's got avg and obp and he's not going to hit for that low of power forever. Guy needs playing time.

His overall line looks terribad because of his .276 OPS against LHP
          --------------------
          I know it's not everyone but I can't believe the turnaround on Brantley from last year's 31 games (catcher of the future/awesome/yaddayadda) to this year's 48 games (shouldn't be in majors). People keep going to too much extremes.

In his 300 career PA, he's got a very solid-for-a-catcher .287/.354/.389/.743 line against RHP

He's by no means some kind of savior but he should be an okay starter and that's far and away the best we can ask for right now. I think he could give a Johnny Bake mid 700 OPS against righties for us, just need to pair him with someone to mash lefties.
          That .OPS against righties for Brantly is based on a small sample. His walk rate last year against righties was 12.1 (leading to a nice .396 .OBP). He never walked much in the minors. Based on his O-swing% of ~35 last year, it seems like that walk rate was somewhat of a fluke.

John Baker, on the other hand, had a better minor league track record to be optimistic about.

I would actually like to see Brantly get more playing time for reasons already stated here, but I have never been optimistic about him. I think I remember you being pretty meh about him too at the time of the trade.

Comment

His walk rate was high last season vs. RHP, but he should also be expected to hit for more power against RHP, so it should balance out.
            poop

Comment

You also can't really compare minor league numbers when Brantly hit the majors at 22, and Baker spent most of his age 22 in A ball, so Baker's numbers will certainly be a lot better

I am "meh" on him in terms of being a serious piece because so many people were talking about him highly after his hot start. I think he'll be a low-to-mid 700 OPS bat against righties, which is not bad for a catcher. Like I said, I think he'll be okay. Not a piece to build around, but fine unless we can get something better.
              Last edited by nny; 06-30-2013, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                You also can't really compare minor league numbers when Brantly hit the majors at 22, and Baker spent most of his age 22 in A ball, so Baker's numbers will certainly be a lot better

I am "meh" on him in terms of being a serious piece because so many people were talking about him highly after his hot start. I think he'll be a low-to-mid 700 OPS bat against righties, which is not bad for a catcher. Like I said, I think he'll be okay. Not a piece to build around, but fine unless we can get something better.
                Good point
                --------------------
                Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                His walk rate was high last season vs. RHP, but he should also be expected to hit for more power against RHP, so it should balance out.
                Probably more than now (because he's provided pretty much no power), but I don't think he projects as a guy with much power in his bat. For what it's worth, what he's done this year is pretty much the same thing he was doing last year in AAA with the Tigers before being traded.
                Last edited by Erick; 06-30-2013, 09:58 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                  I forgot that we're not allowed to say positive things about the team because of Loria.
                  No, you're just not allowed to say stuff like, "if we didn't have the injuries we had we would have been better". Just because you said, "yeah, I know all teams deal with injuries" doesn't make it ok to say what you said.

I'm requesting another apology.

Comment

Every win is history

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                      No, you're just not allowed to say stuff like, "if we didn't have the injuries we had we would have been better". Just because you said, "yeah, I know all teams deal with injuries" doesn't make it ok to say what you said.

I'm requesting another apology.
                      Well, not all injuries are the same.

Comment

oh, ok.

Comment

You can't be serious right now, right? Missing Giancarlo Stanton for two months means a lot more to a team than a Donovan Solano being out for the same amount of time.

You've basically made the same excuses for the Blue Jays several times. Why can't the same things be said for this team? It's not as if I'm saying something absurd like "they'd be in first place had they stayed healthy."
                          Last edited by Erick; 06-30-2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Daft,

fax me on the 214 line

Comment

Working...
                            X